Profile for Michael E > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Corsair Builder Series CXM 430W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU
Corsair Builder Series CXM 430W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 May 2014
I was originally going to get a far cheaper PSU but I've heard such horror stories about cheap ones failing in a short time so I decided to get a reputable product. Corsair is well-known for its quality products. I decided to get a modular one so the cables would be tidier. I'm only using two out of the four supplied cables which is good. The 430W could be an issue if I decide to get a graphics card. A lot of them these days require a 500W minimum PSU but there is a lot of low power cards too. The whole of my PC is only using about 50-60W doing normal tasks so there is a lot of room there. Installation of the PSU was straightforward. No problems there.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 May 2014
I bought this when I was building my new computer. My old computer was using 3GB of DDR2 RAM so this was a big upgrade. I'd say for most people 8GB of ram is more than enough though there a lot of times when I do use most of it just doing daily tasks. You do need to change the frequency of the ram to 1600mhz in the bios. For some reason, it is fixed at 1333mhz otherwise. As others have pointed out, be careful if you have a big CPU heatsink as the fins on the modules could get in the way.

Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3
Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 May 2014
I was thinking of getting a SSD for a long time and as I was building my new computer, I thought what the hell, and bought this for it. Out of all the components that I bought for my computer, this was by far the best one. In terms of speed and performance, it's extremely fast compared to my old sata drive. My computer boots up in under 20 seconds. Before, it would take a couple of minutes. I'm using under 60GB of space for the OS and all the programs. Applications open quite quickly, especially things like Photoshop. I do recommend shifting all your personal/media files/downloads etc over to a second sata drive though. Keep the SSD for the OS and apps only and hopefully this will prolong its life.

Intel Core i5 4670 Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I54670, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 May 2014
I bought this when I was building my new computer. My old computer had an old AMD Athlon 5000+ so this was quite an upgrade. At first I wanted an i7 but did a lot of research and figured I probably wouldn't need one. My computer is really only used for desktop/graphics stuff so I didn't need a high-end processor. I also wasn't interested in overclocking so got this processor instead of the 4670k. The processor and heatsink were easy to install, especially for someone like me who has never put a computer together before. The fan is very quiet. The computer runs great. The chip comes with 4600 hd graphics. I don't presently have a graphics card so I'm using the integrated graphics. The chip does run older games fine generally but don't expect to play newer games. In retrospect, I wish I'd have researched AMD's processors a bit more as you can get a decent AMD chip for half the price of an i5. But I did want an intel chip this time around so I opted for this.

Samsung S24C300HS 24 inch HDMI VGA LED Monitor
Samsung S24C300HS 24 inch HDMI VGA LED Monitor
Offered by Crampton And Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor., 15 Mar 2014
I was building a new PC and thought it was time to get a new monitor. I was previously using a 17" Dell monitor. At 24", this is a much big monitor and it enables me to do so much more. It does take some getting using to. Before, I used to maximise my browser but now I only have to have it in a smaller window. The widescreen size is also ideal for watching videos on. It does take some calibrating (on Windows and in the monitor) when you get it. The text/fonts wasn't as smooth on Windows 7 as my previous monitor. I also tried the VGA and HDMI connections but I still prefer VGA. It generally looks better for me. The monitor also doesn't have speakers but that doesn't really matter as I have external speakers anyway. The one annoying problem for me with the monitor is the touch sensitive buttons. It takes me about 5-6 taps before I actually find where the power button is each time. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Piranha Large Black Computer Desk with 2 Drawers and 4 Shelves for the Home Office PC 5g
Offered by Piranha Trading Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great desk., 15 Mar 2014
I had a few computer desks over the years and was using a small black glass table for my computer. I was on the lookout for a bigger desk and came across the piranha desks on amazon which looked quite good. I usually encounter all sorts of problems when I put flatpack stuff together but there was no problems with this. It was easy to assemble and took the best part of a morning to build. I had to leave out the shelf above the computer tower as my computer was too tall for it to fit in. You can't really use the shelf on the top for a printer either as mine is way too big. I'm using it for my phone and lamp instead. I also don't use the keyboard tray and prefer to have the keyboard on the top with the mouse. Another good thing is that the desk is quite tall too which is ideal for me. It's made out of black MDF which doesn't look quite as good as my previous black glass desk but it does the job. Overall, it's a great desk.

VTX3D 1GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 Graphics card with Low Profile Bracket
VTX3D 1GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 Graphics card with Low Profile Bracket

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for what I wanted., 11 Mar 2014
Don't expect to play the latest games on this card. It'll play old ones fine though. I bought it a couple of years ago because I really needed an HDMI port so I could output my computer to my tv. It also draws low power for a graphics card so I opted for this as I have a small PSU in my computer.

Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Offered by Digital.Camz

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Mar 2014
I was debating whether or not to get a tablet for a year or so. I already had a Nexus 4 but I really wanted something with a bigger screen. I opted for the Nexus 7 over the ipad/mini because of the cheaper price and the much better specs. Honestly, I can't live without it. I use it everyday and lasts so much longer than my phone. It probably lasts for 6/6.5 hours if I'm just browsing the web. If you play games, the battery will shoot right down. The screen is fantastic quality, amazing clarity, the tablet is incredibly fast. I admit I was pretty much an apple fanboy before I got my Nexus 4 but I really love android and the freedom that it gives you. I'm also pretty much involved with all google's services so it made sense to stick with android.

Quality Large 2 Litre Hot Water Bottle Hot Pink New
Quality Large 2 Litre Hot Water Bottle Hot Pink New
Offered by DIRECT HOUSEHOLD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 11 Mar 2014
Bought over a year ago. Not much to say about it. It did the job over the winter and kept me warm but a year later, I dug it out of my wardrobe and found that the whole thing had disintegrated. Probably my fault for leaving water in it for so long.

Diesel Zero Plus Eau de Toilette for Men - 75 ml
Diesel Zero Plus Eau de Toilette for Men - 75 ml
Offered by Beautycart

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 11 Mar 2014
I bought this spray a few months ago. It smells quite nice and at first it seemed to last on your body for quite a long time. Unfortunately, a few months later, the smell sorta seems to disappear quite quickly after you put it on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4