Profile for J. Smit > Reviews

Content by J. Smit

J. Smit "smitty" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Untouchable [DVD] (2011)
Untouchable [DVD] (2011)
Dvd ~ François Cluzet

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Untouchable [DVD] (2011) (DVD)
Just such a lovely film

Staedtler Mars Lead Pointer Tub - Sharpener For 2mm Pencil Leads
Staedtler Mars Lead Pointer Tub - Sharpener For 2mm Pencil Leads

3.0 out of 5 stars This sharpens leads really well, but it leaks all ..., 3 July 2014
This sharpens leads really well, but it leaks all over my pencil case and makes everything else grubby.
Would work well if I intended to keep it on a desk top though!

MINI-SIZED Kids Outdoor Camping/Hiking/Fishing/Picnic/Garden BBQ Stool Folding Seat Chair
Offered by STK e-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids. Or even skinny folk! ..., 3 July 2014
Not just for kids. Or even skinny folk!
It's tiny, portable and relatively comfy!

Kikkerland Acrylic RainbowMaker, Transparent
Kikkerland Acrylic RainbowMaker, Transparent

1.0 out of 5 stars Careful about the supplier, 3 July 2014
Great product - I bought one for mum years ago and it still works.
But this is a dodgy supplier, and I'm not the only reviewer whose rainbow maker didn't work...

The one that works (bought from a shop) still turns and produces delight after 4 years.

WMicroUK Top Quality Bike Trailers Dog bike trailer Rex (red)
WMicroUK Top Quality Bike Trailers Dog bike trailer Rex (red)

1.0 out of 5 stars These things are dangerous!, 3 July 2014
Last Saturday I saw a horrific accident which took place with a trailer like this. Lovely idea, these trailers, but so dangerous!

The owner grazed a curb, the trailer flipped and the poor dog fell across the road between a lorry's wheels. The front of the dog's face was crushed, and I doubt it survived.

I will never forget the owner's cries of grief and wails for help. I feel so so sad for him and gulity that I could not help.

And yet with hind sight it's so easy to see how this could happen! Your bike has one wheel out front, but the trailer has two behind. And the dog just needs to shift slightly to unbalance the thing.

It looked like such a lovely, beautiful dog.

Dog bike trailer Rex (orange)
Dog bike trailer Rex (orange)

It looked like such a lovely, beautiful dog.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2014 10:47 PM BST

Dog Bicycle Trailer - Clip and Ride
Dog Bicycle Trailer - Clip and Ride

It looked like such a lovely, beautiful dog.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 5:24 PM BST

Trixie Bicycle Trailer, Medium, 45  48  74 cm
Trixie Bicycle Trailer, Medium, 45 48 74 cm

It looked like such a lovely, beautiful dog.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 8:17 AM BST

Uncle Tom's Cabin (Wordsworth Classics)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Wordsworth Classics)
by Harriet Beecher Stowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great American Novel, 17 Sept. 2009
My husband bought this from Amazon earlier this year. He was gripped by it and recommended I read it after him.

I'm glad I did as it is one of the best books I've read in years. Like much of the best American literature there's an epic sense of scale - Scores of wonderfully rounded characters set in well described locations across a varied landscape. The storylines are wonderfully written and you'll find it difficult not to think about the book's themes when you have to put it down.

Although there are some god-fearing parts in the middle, these aren't too intrusive and merely add flavour to the period in which it was written. It should be noted that not all of the 'good' characters are christian.

Although the book is far from a one-sided rant against slavery (some of the most likeable characters are slave owners) it's easy to see how it was credited with starting the civil war. Anger wasn't an emotion I'd expected from this book, but I felt it in spades.

Munich, Bavaria and the Black Forest (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
Munich, Bavaria and the Black Forest (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
by Andrea Schulte-Peevers

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok guide book - great walk recommendation but rubbish maps, 17 Sept. 2009
I tend to trust Lonely Planet to be adequate. And it was.

Best thing:
There is a section in the front with suggested walks in the German Alps. We did one of these and had a fantastic hike which we would never have found from the tourist information centre or elderly hotel manager. The hike crossed the face of the Alpspitze mountain and was VERY scary in parts and, although the book made it clear that this was one for the foot-sure, I was surprised that they'd recommended it. For the excitement as well as the views, this was one of the best hikes I've ever done.

Worst things:
The Lonely Planet, bless their good intentions, doesn't like fly-drivers because of the environmental damage. So the road-rules section was pretty bare and there were many common road signs/instructions which would have been helpful to have a translation for.

As with other Lonely Planet guides, the maps are rubbish. Luckily Germany (with the exception of Garmisch Partenkirchen) is easy to navigate by place names so we didn't have too much trouble.

Page: 1 | 2