Profile for Nelle Tap > Reviews

Content by Nelle Tap

Nelle Tap (Gt Kingshill, Bucks United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Patchwork Lilac / Green Single Bedspread
Patchwork Lilac / Green Single Bedspread
Offered by Tony's Textiles Ltd.
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Revamped room success, 24 July 2012
Stepdaughter finally purchased her own flat a few months ago so time to refurbish her room in case 2 my youngest grandchildren visit. Its walls were lilac and the carpet green so these bedspreads seem ideal to bring those colours together and add some freshness with crisp white. Really pleased with the product and service. I should probably have thought about buying some pillowcases at the same time ..... I like the flexibility of a lightweight cover like this - if it is winter and too cold I can easily add a duvet or similar though much of the time it won't be needed. Will use this supplier again. If anything the reality looks better than the image on the website.

Bee
Bee
by Rose-Lynn Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Lights a fire of curiosity, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Bee (Hardcover)
This is quite simply an amazing book. I am a beekeeper and a volunteer with the National Trust for the apiary at Hughenden Manor. As a teacher for 33 years as well I take a leading part in trying to help the public and children understand about bees and bee keeping. This book is invaluable - you show selected pictures to the young or old alike and see the awe, wonder and understanding - often followed by the most enthusiastic questioning to learn more. Whether you believe in evolution or a divine hand, seeing the line of hooks that allow one wing to attach to another and knowing this is the fundamental idea of velcro, you see the intrinsic beauty alongside the practical efficiency. Showing the barbed sting enlarged allows you to explain why it needs to be removed but also why just pulling it may not work. And the enlarged eye with 8000 hexagonal lenses - WOW. Would be a wonderful book especially for the child who dislikes reading lots of text or who has difficulty in doing so but the effectiveness of the images means it will inspire anyone at any age. The only problem is that my copy is getting marked by tiny and not so tiny fingers as I share it with others. I need at least one more copy so I have one to keep and one to use!

50 PLAIN WOODEN STANDARD LOLLY STICKS
50 PLAIN WOODEN STANDARD LOLLY STICKS
Offered by Baby Craft
Price: 1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 5 May 2012
One of those that meets expectations - it was as described with good delivery. They are simply lolly sticks, so the value is what you do with them - but they have a myriad of uses from plant labels, to building material to cooking.

The Forgotten Garden
The Forgotten Garden
Price: 2.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite; addictive and highly recommended., 6 Jan 2012
I read this 'by mistake' thinking it was the one given by a particular friend - but as mistakes go, it is one I am so glad to have made. This is the only book I have ever, in my long life, wanted to start rereading the minute I finished it.
The story starts with Nell, aged 4 yrs, seemingly abandoned on a boat to Australia. Her subsequent adventures and life and how she arrived on the boat are put in context with the stories of ancestors, descendants and family dwellings. I hadn't read any other books by Kate but was immediately struck by the believability of the characters and their feelings and environments despite the fact they were varied. I wonder whether it is because I have traced my family and it includes odd members mysteriously travelling between the UK and Australia and missing relatives? My deduction was that Kate is a very clever writer to have fashioned the puzzling story so cleverly and believably. At first I felt I had to raise my game and be a clever reader - the story unfolds through actions of different characters out of chronological order. However, the power this gives for revealing small details and sometimes satisfying red herrings is well worth that small amount of extra concentration.
The story had a thread which made me think of The Secret Garden and Frances Hodgson Burnett so I was especially delighted at the subtle way this was acknowledged by the author - but this story is very different from Burnett's - it is grown up, intricate and - wonderful.

Self Healing Double Sided Quilting Cutting Mat 18" x 24" (45cm x 60cm) Heavy Duty 5 layer mat comparable with Olfa
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and good quality, 1 Dec 2011
Husband had mangled my last mat so as an unplanned purchase I wanted to minimise cost and maximise quality. Speed of delivery was also important as I discovered the problem with the old one as I started a project. Speed of delivery was excellent and quality, too. Would recommend unreservedly.

Acctim Acura Smartlite Radio Controlled Alarm Clock
Acctim Acura Smartlite Radio Controlled Alarm Clock
Offered by HARTS
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One niggle for an otherwise very good product., 4 July 2011
My previous alarm clock was driving me mad; hard to adjust and much of the crucial display difficult to read due to small size and lack of contrast - especially at night. Its one redeeming feature was it took its time from the universal clock.
The advantage and disadvantages of the old clock led me to this one as a replacement. The clarity seems good and I've tried it in situ to comments from previous buyers about murky display due to angle don't seem to apply. Hopefully I'll never again rise at 5 am having read the time as 6 am. The clock light is easy to switch on during the night and the alarm on and off is one slide of a button rather than numerous clicks through a menu.
BUT I live in the UK and bought it in the UK so was amazed to find it is US date format - ie month followed by day. In the end I have decided not to send it back but I think it will confuse me - to-day is 4th July but the date is visible as 7/4/2011. I read the booklet and then phoned ACCTIM convinced that there must be a way to change the format, but alas there is not. For me it is a small but important detail and is disappointing.
Nelletap

Origami Paper 200 sheets Designer Pattern Gift Pack
Origami Paper 200 sheets Designer Pattern Gift Pack
Offered by Folded Square Origami
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An art form with benefits, 22 Feb 2011
Origami does have lots of benefits for children. Spatial and geometrical awareness, the need for precision and dexterity and the ability to follow instructions*, something easy to do (we used it as an after lunch challenge over Christmas). As instructions are often visual rather than text based no real need to be able to read. I also found a great pattern to make Christmas cards using origami and so recycling the Christmas wrapping paper became easy. We had quite a lot of fun that crossed a wide age range. The age range in our family went from 5 to 88 and we were chatting whilst we concentrated.
The papers themselves are artistic and so they enhance the finished product immensely though they can be supplemented from squares of paper from almost any source.

Uni Posca PC5M Medium Markers, Assorted Colours, Pack of 6
Uni Posca PC5M Medium Markers, Assorted Colours, Pack of 6
Price: 11.39

5.0 out of 5 stars WYSIWYG, 2 Sep 2010
Saw these recommended on a beekeeping forum. Good value compared with some sources and the purchase proceeded efficiently and quickly. The colours are ideal for queen marking as they cover all the colours. (You may or may not know that there is a convention so that 2010 bees will be marked in blue and then 2011 is white - I think that is the right way round but I am just a beginner beek!)

Guide to Bees & Honey: The World's Best Selling Guide to Beekeeping
Guide to Bees & Honey: The World's Best Selling Guide to Beekeeping
by Ted Hooper
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Authoritive and covers many unusual aspects, 25 Aug 2010
The book is full of concise clear and authoritative advice. What I especially like is some of the aspects which could be counted as peripheral but which add so much knowledge and inform decisions. For example, a chunk about the heat required in the hive and how it is maintained and the implications of different variations from the ideal. A smaller section on the sound of the buzz and how it relates to the speed of the wings sounds comparatively unimportant but when you are out trying to identify flitting insects it can add that little something to help the identification. This wasn't the first book I read so you would imagine that some sections were less fresh and consequently of less interest. This is not the case; I have been entranced by what I have read so far (two thirds of the way through). My family might just say it is because I am obsessed. They may have a point!

Bee Keeping: Inspiration and Practical Advice for Would-be Smallholders (Country Living) (Countryside)
by Andrew Davies
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first book for budding beekeepers, 19 July 2010
Had been hankering to keep bees for a long time but the local courses were on a night I could not manage. When I decided that I had to take a first step even without a suitable course, saw this reasonably priced book and was not disappointed. There is a lot to know about bees and this led me through in a logical order; I found I could read a chapter or two and have a break whilst the new knowledge permeated my brain, then I could pick it up again. The pace and logic were perfectly suited to the way my brain works and because it was clearly explained, I remembered most of what I had read. The illustrations are clear but mainly black and white sketches - a chunk of coloured sketches in the middle of the book -they enhanced the text and no doubt helped keep down the cost. The advantage of sketches is a certain charm almost like EE Shepherd's illustration is Winnie the Pooh - but also each exactly fits the points in the book. The size of the book means it is easy to find and re-read anything you did not take on board the first time round. As I read the book, no sooner had a question formed in my mind than there was the answer. I loved this book and then found a second book which seemed to complement it perfectly; more photos and a good section on gardening for bees which helped me make sure I had the right plants to support bees through as much of the year as possible -Bees and Bee Keeping Explained by Gerard Baker. Both books are small enough to carry round and dip into at leisure. I had a few medical appointments around the time I read them so awaiting my turn was never a chore.
Highly recommended for a beginner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4