Profile for Playwright > Reviews

Content by Playwright

Playwright

Page: 1 | 2
Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne Murder Mysteries) (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Brown Murder Mysteries)
by David Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but ......., 17 July 2010
I like my country house murder mysteries. I really do. So I was quite excited when I saw this. Started with this one, the first in the series. However, I've got to say it disappoints. Lord Edward Corinth is a detective/ man about town and a clear homage to Lord Peter Wimsey. There however, the comparisons with the divine Ms Sayers end. Lord Edward never gets beyond caricature. The dialogue is pure public school golly gosh. I am afraid however that the real annoyance is Verity. She's a Communist but certainly has no problem mixing with the upper classes and appears to have principles that extend no further than her own convenience. This makes her come across as either a freeloader or a hypocrite. She just doesn't ring true at all and she doesn't improve with further acquaintance. This gets three stars because the period detail is OK and if you were stuck on a train with nothing much to read, you could perfectly well read this and it would pass the time. But that's it. Just a bit 'meh' all round I am afraid!

Page: 1 | 2