Profile for chockyb > Reviews

Sennheiser HD 5X8 Replacement Headphone Cable 1.2m
Offered by Analogue Seduction
Price: 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 14 May 2014
Ok it does the job, looks well made, but Sennheiser are making a tidy profit out of this I think...

Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3
Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3

2.0 out of 5 stars Has developed a fault, 14 May 2014
Bought this 2 years ago. Haven't used it for about a year, but got it out of the drawer today to use. Put in new batteries, but the device seems to have developed an intermittent fault: the screen goes blank after about half a minute, and anything you are trying to record is lost.

A shame, because it worked well to begin with, although I found the controls fiddly and unintuitive to use. Perhaps I'm being over optimistic in expecting something like this to last 2 years? Problem now is what to replace it with. The No. 1 best seller appears to be an updated version if this one. The spec looks good, but can I trust it to go on working?!

Oh well, it may be Hobson's choice :-(

Good Ideas Guttering Cleaning Kit with Leaf Scoop+ Extendable Pole (884)
Good Ideas Guttering Cleaning Kit with Leaf Scoop+ Extendable Pole (884)
Offered by SK Depots
Price: 19.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too large for my gutters otherwise fine, 5 May 2014
In order to avoid the collecting plate becoming jammed between the gutter and overhanging tiles, I had to trim it a little with a hacksaw. After that, it worked fine. The scoop was also too large to fit in the gutter. However, the kit is light and easy to handle, and makes the job of clearing the gutters much quicker. A good buy.

Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones
Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones
Price: 149.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Do they really mimic stereo loudspeakers?, 3 May 2014
After reading all the positive reviews about the sound quality, I decided to buy these to replace my ageing HD 570 phones. As others have commented, the sound quality is truly superb - as a classical music enthusiast, I'd say these are the best phones I've ever owned (and also the most expensive - but then you get what you pay for).

But do they really mimic stereo loudspeakers, as claimed in the description? Well - a qualified yes to that. The sound isn't really like listening to your HiFi system - its still a "headphone sound". But, unlike any other phones I've heard, the sound does seem to come from just in front of you, rather than sitting squarely between your ears. If you try putting the phones on the wrong way - swapping left and right - the sound seems to come from behind you, which is surreal! Close your eyes, and you can almost believe you're in the middle seat of the front row of the stalls at an orchestral concert - it's that good. (You will need a good recording for this of course. These phones really show up poorly recorded sound).

What else? Well, they're supremely comfortable, and stylish too. And quite sensitive - you need the volume turned down a bit compared with other phones. It's worth paying another tenner for the short lead if you want to use these with portable players with 3.5 mm sockets.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

200g | CITRIC ACID **FREE UK POST** PRESERVATIVE CITRIC ACIDS CITRATE LEMON FOOD CITRIC ACID EDIBLE WINE MAKING
Offered by falconsuperstore
Price: 2.22

5.0 out of 5 stars use as a descaler, 10 Feb 2014
Better than some proprietary limescale cleaners! A teaspoonful dissolved in a cup of hot water removes limescale deposits on stainless steel, glass, plastic and ceramic. Also less dangerous than other chemical cleaners, I suspect, as it's a food grade product.

MINIRIG Portable rechargeable speaker BLACK
MINIRIG Portable rechargeable speaker BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Two for stereo (a classical perspective), 25 April 2013
As a classical music enthusiast and struggling instrumentalist, I first bought just one of these, initially to play backing tracks for music practice sessions. It was certainly loud enough for this purpose, but I was also impressed with the clarity of the sound. So later I bought a second one for home stereo listening (matching the first in black - Pasce don't always have these available, so I had to wait).

The small size of these units allows you to place them unobtrusively in the corners of a room, from where they seem to operate best as a stereo pair. On most of the music I played through them, they gave a wide and very sharp stereo image with good clarity and presence. Two drawbacks though. Firstly, as other reviewers have noted, there is a noticeable lack of bass - this can be improved but not fully compensated for by using an equaliser. Secondly, whilst some recordings sound excellent, others sound quite harsh - I suspect because these little units are quite unforgiving to poorly recorded sound. My music collection goes back many years!

So there you have it. Loud and clear, but a bit lacking in bass. But they deserve 5 stars anyway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 8:28 PM GMT

Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black
Offered by ARC UK
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, basic player - but does it really take a 32GB card?, 23 April 2013
Bought this to supplement the storage provided my Sony NWZ A816 player - still in use after about 4 years, but its 4GB internal memory is sadly no longer enough for my ever expanding music collection.

The Kubik Evo is a rather basic player, but gives excellent sound quality - quite comparable to the Sony (using decent headphones, of course!). And with its expandable storage capacity, it provides very good value for money. So what are the drawbacks?

With only 5 control buttons (compared to the 9 on the Sony), operating the Kubik is not very intuitive. If you've ever set up one of those 3 button digital watches, or even a central heating contoller, you'll have an idea of what it's like. But you quickly get used to it, though even then, I would have liked separate volume control buttons as on the Sony.

The software has its limitations, too. You can't, for example, listen to music and view photos at the same time, nor even browse the internal memory whilst playing a file from the expansion card. When browsing for a file, the folders and files aren't presented in a convenient alphabetical order, but apparently in the order that they were created. In both these respects, the Sony does it better.

I find the user-settable equaliser helpful, even though it seems to work backwards! I'm not over impressed with the Microsoft PlayFX Sound Enhancement, but that's a matter of taste.

So, what about that expansion card? Encouraged by some reviewers who have successfully used a 32GB card, I first tried a 16GB card, and was delighted to find it worked perfectly. Then I tried a 32GB card. It appeared to work OK at first, but I thought the sound seemed a little distorted. Then I noticed that, in the quiet passages in the music, there was a distinct, constant, buzzing noise. It started as soon as the player began to access the file. I like classical music, and noise in the quiet passages is a real annoyance. So using a 32GB card is out as far as I am concerned. But still, 16GB + 8GB internal is more that enough for now, and better than I was expecting.

In operation, the battery lasts only about 5 - 6 hours, no where near the advertised 20. Perhaps this is because I'm using mostly the external card - it may do better on internal memory only. But that's not a problem: recharging takes only a couple of hours at most. I can't help wondering if additional current drain to the 32GB card is related to the noise and distortion problem...

So, to summarise - good basic player, good sound, a bit fiddly to use, Ok to 24GB for me - I'm glad I bought it.

1M Metre 2.5mm to 3.5mm Jack Audio AUX MP3 Cable Lead
1M Metre 2.5mm to 3.5mm Jack Audio AUX MP3 Cable Lead
Offered by TechWareGames
Price: 2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be adapted to fit..., 11 April 2013
Bought this to replace the cable originally supplied with my old, much used and much loved Sennheiser HD 570 headphones. The only alternative seemed an unnecessarily long Sennheiser own brand cable at about 3 times the price.

Having read the other reviews, I wasn't too surprised to find that the body of the plug at the headphone end was too big for the cable channel in the headphone housing. Now, with GREAT CARE, it is possible to trim the plastic body of the plug down so that it will fit. I used a small (9.5mm blade) Stanley knife to shave off thin strips of the softish plastic until the body of the plug was slim enough. But if you try this, be very careful 1) not to dig into the plastic too far, and cut the embedded wires, and 2) not to let the knife slip through the soft plastic and cut you!

Having said that, the cable I've modified now fits the phones perfectly, is short enough not to be a nuisance when using my mp3 player, and gives me stereo sound again - bliss!

LD © Hewlett Packard C6656AN / C6656A (HP 56 Black) Remanufactured Ink Cartridge

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 10 pages, 16 Feb 2013
Sorry, but can't recommend this at all. From first use, this cartridge printed about 10 pages ok. The second time I used the printer, it failed to print at all in black. Luckily I had a spare black cartidge, and all is well again.

Philips Travel Shaver with Twin Rotary Heads and Travel Pouch PQ203/17
Philips Travel Shaver with Twin Rotary Heads and Travel Pouch PQ203/17
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as my last battery shaver, 5 Feb 2013
My old Philips HQ130, although still working, wasn't giving me such a close shave any more, and seemed to be in need of new shaving heads. These don't appear to be available separately, so I decided to buy a new razor. After all, this comlete razor is cheaper than a new set of heads for a more expensive model.

The PQ203/17 gives me a close shave very quickly, and comes with a very neat storage pouch. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4