Profile for FM Stereo > Reviews

Content by FM Stereo

FM Stereo

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Replacement High Capacity Battery For Apple iPhone 5 -Tools Included (5G)
Replacement High Capacity Battery For Apple iPhone 5 -Tools Included (5G)

2.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 3 months!, 28 Dec. 2014
My iPhone 5 suddenly decided to drop dead whilst driving home. After much Googling and experimentation I found that leaving it plugged into the mains allowed it to work normally, so assumed the battery was the issue. I ordered this as a replacement, with the accompanying tools. Beware that you should be comfortable taking apart minute screws a few millimetres across before you start!

I've had the battery installed for a few months now and have not found any difference from the original. The phone easily lasts through a day of normal use.

The included tools aren't the best quality but to get the job done. There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you what to do. Beats paying Apple ~£200 for a replacement phone!

All in all, if you're comfortable installing it, it's a no brainer!

EDIT: Unfortunately, this only lasted a few months before going dead. NOT impressed, especially given the amount of work to install it.

BisLinks® Black 3 in 1 Set Home Menu Middle Internal Button Flex Cable For iPhone 5 5G
Offered by BisLinks®

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, indistinguishable from original, 28 Dec. 2014
I've had my iPhone for about 2 years now. Recently the home button started behaving very erratically, only working if pressed a number of times. Given that Apple charge ~£200 I thought I would order this and try replacing it myself. I had replaced the battery in the phone before and this was an extension of that work. Make sure you're comfortable before you open it up!

The new button works perfectly and is indistinguishable from the original. It even has the little sticky bit required to line up the contacts with the back of the phone. I've been using it for a few months now with no issues. If you're comfortable doing the work, its a no brainer

Wacom Bamboo Duo Stylus
Wacom Bamboo Duo Stylus
Offered by DEP.PRODUCTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the variety I've tried!, 18 Oct. 2014
I bought this stylus after buying a few of the cheap (£1-3) ones from Ebay. I was looking to use it to make notes during a class. My previous experiences weren't great, I was finding that the stylus either missed a lot of the detail in my writing or picked up extra marks which made most of it illegible.

The first thing to say is that it feels lovely in hand, a bit like a high end pen (reminds me of when I went through a phase writing with fountain pens many years ago). The nib is soft (and apparently replaceable). The body of the stylus itself seems to be made of metal. I find that I am more accurately able to produce drawings/write and annotate my notes than with more cheaper versions. It is almost as fast as writing with a pen (especially as I've become more accustomed to software).

The price point at the moment is excellent.

The pen on the other side is an added bonus - especially in instances such as being asked to fill in a register or feedback form that is being passed around the class - no need to go digging in your bag!

I wouldn't say there are any significant disadvantages, I understand the nibs will apparently wear out and new ones don't seem cheap. The pen is also refillable, but again it seems the refills are proprietary.

:[Scratch Terminator] Anker® Tempered-Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 5S / iPhone 5C / iPhone 5 Premium Crystal Clear - Industry-High 9H Hardness
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply, looks great and gives an added layer of protection, 12 Aug. 2014
I have been using the plastic Invisibleshield type covers for years, so long in fact, that I've become quite good at applying them with no bubbles. I recently dropped my iPhone and shattered the screen so looked into this as an alternative screen protector.

Unlike the plastic covers, this is a solid (thin) sheet of glass. Mine came with a full set of instructions (it seems some were sent without as Anker emailed me some instructions after I had bought it as well as:
An alcohol wipe
Card to push out bubbles
Lint free cloth

Essentially you clean the screen, put the protector on and smooth it down. It's MUCH easier than applying the plastic protectors and looks far better also. As some have mentioned, it does mean your Home button is slightly sunken, but this is easy to get used to. There are attached stickers for the home button, but these won't work with the fingerprint reader on the 5S and frankly look a little tacky.

The screen protector looks great and I'm safe in the knowledge that if I drop my phone, there's an added layer of protection. There is a lifetime warranty quoted, but the package notes that you have to buy from Anker for this to be valid? Again, some people have noted that they've had there's replaced.

All in all, I'd thoroughly recommend this to protect your iPhone, its cheaper than the comptetition, looks great and is simple to apply.

SAVFY Standard Nano SIM Cards Adapters for iPhone 6 iPhone 5C iPhone 5S 5 iPhone 4/4S/3G iPad,Nano SIM Card Adapter To Micro
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built and stick to simcard so it doesn't fall out!, 12 Aug. 2014
Yes, you are paying a few pounds for a piece of plastic you could probably fashion yourself. However, I needed these when I managed to destroy my iPhone and ended up using my micro-sim in an old Android phone. There are a number of other options, some of which are cheaper, but the main advantage here is that the part that adheres to the simcard is ridged and slightly sticky. This means that your simcard doesn't fall out as soon as you place it on the adapter, which, judging by reviews of similar products, is a big advantage! I'd say its something worth having in your drawer for emergencies

Draper DIY Series 08668 Wheel Master Wrench
Draper DIY Series 08668 Wheel Master Wrench

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, well built and extendable, 31 July 2014
I haven't bought many tools before and needed a socket wrench to put together a spare tyre kit for our car. This seemed to have good reviews so I decided to buy one. For a lightweight tool that you can use in a jam this is excellent. Its very solidly built and the handle extends to allow you extra leverage for tight nuts/bolts. The two sizes (17/19mm) fit well and the rubber grip on the handle allows for easy control. I really liked the fact that you could lengthen/shorten the handle as it means you can use it in the longer mode for loosening bolts and the shorter when removing them. It also means you don't hit the wrench off the ground when rotating it because its too long! I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Pampers Baby Dry Size 4 (Maxi) Giga Pack 132 Nappies
Pampers Baby Dry Size 4 (Maxi) Giga Pack 132 Nappies
Offered by tarteg.cymru

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need them, you might as well buy them in bulk, 23 July 2014
Unfortunately, once you have a child, these are a necessity. Buy in bulk, keep your costs down, avoid last minute dashes to the supermarket. I got a great deal on these at under 10p/nappy.
The nappies themselves are excellent, we've had no problems with leaking in these and our baby does get through the night without needing another change. We did buy some Pampers with a stripe which changed colour if the baby was wet, unfortunately those weren't present on these but would be a welcome addition.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2014 10:25 PM GMT

4 x H7 (477/499) 12v 55W PX26d Halogen Bulb
4 x H7 (477/499) 12v 55W PX26d Halogen Bulb
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright light, lasts for ages, 23 July 2014
Go to buy these on your local high street and you'll pay 2-3x the price. Ok they're not the superbright bulbs you see on some cars, but they get the job done fine and they last for ages. I've bought some more to keep as spares. Have fitted them to a BMW and a Mercedes with no problems in either.

Hoya 58mm UV Filter (discontinued by manufacturer)
Hoya 58mm UV Filter (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by CameraKing (Shipping from UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, worth the investment, 22 July 2014
I bought this primarily to protect the camera lens for our SLR. There are arguments for and against using it to take photos from what I can understand but to be honest I haven't seen any notable difference in the quality of photographs from our camera. The filter screws onto the end of the lens and is fairly unobtrusive adding almost no bulk to the lens itself. I'm now not as worried about scratching the lens, if we scratch the filter, a new one is much cheaper!

UP24 by Jawbone Medium Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracking Wristband for iOS and Android - Onyx

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy into the whole fitness thing, this is definitely a worthwhile purchase, 22 July 2014
I was a little hesitant buying this and did lots of research into the different activity trackers available. The reason I went for the UP24 was because of the widespread praise for the quality of the app, integration with MyFitnessPal and IFTTT as well as the fact that it was the only one I could actually see myself wearing for 24 hours a day. My main goal was weight loss and in the 4 weeks I've had it the UP has been a revelation. I've lost a kilogram a week As well as tracking your steps, UP also allows you to input workouts and calculates the amount of calories burnt (which then syncs to MyFitnessPal).

UP also tracks your sleep and although not my primary concern, its interesting to see how I've slept on days where I feel good or not so good. The other big advantage is that you can set smart alarms, which wake you up within a set timeframe at a point where you are in light sleep. This is achieved by the wristband vibrating - which means that you don't wake your significant other up too! Calorie intake can be tracked through the UP app or through a linked app such as MyFitnessPal. The app itself also links to articles which it deems of interest to you and regularly sets you challenges, for example, to exceed you step target for the day.

My wrists are quite skinny and I went for the medium size, which fits well. The band itself is comfortable to wear and feels solid, with the sole button easy to press even if you're on a cross trainer. Charging is via a USB cable which has a mini (2.5mm) headphone jack on the other end, once charged the UP does last for a week.

My only concern is the poor reliability reported by some users online - I've had no significant problems to date (fingers crossed). The band did stop responding one day despite reporting a few days charge left, but I plugged it in overnight and it came back to life; has been working fine since. I'll update this review if this changes.

All in all, if you feel you are actually going to engage with the whole fitness thing, this is a worthwhile purchase.

Pros:
Sleek design - you don't feel odd wearing it
App works well
Tracks sleep as well as fitness
Alarm function is brilliant
Battery lasts for a week

Cons:
I do wonder how accurate it is sometimes but it seems to be roughly on the ball
Reliability concerns reported elsewhere - no problems to date

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4