Profile for Angela Reads > Reviews

Content by Angela Reads

Angela Reads (Pennsylvania, USA)

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides)
by William Hanson

4.0 out of 5 stars A humorous attempt to educate "the rest of us" in proper behaviour..., 5 Feb 2014
This book is written from the British point of view, as a humorous attempt to educate the rest of us how to (attempt to) fit in the upper social circles of society - think of Kate Middleton's family, for instance.

While I don't expect to ever mingle in high society, I am always interested in understanding good manners and proper social customs - and why those things are proper, or why not. I enjoyed the chapters on greetings and various styles of dress for different occasions, what type of dinnerware to use, etc.

There's a lot of dry humor here too, I had a few laughs at certain examples of bad taste. Americans like myself need to be prepared for a few wisecracks at our expense, but it is all done in fun.

I enjoyed this short book and I feel that it helped me to better understand proper English culture. As an avid reader who loves literature written in England, I think it will enhance my understanding of what I read as well.