Profile for P. W. Herron > Reviews

Content by P. W. Herron

P. W. Herron "Pete Herron" (Padova, Italia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
I Was Glad - Sacred Music of Stanford and Parry
I Was Glad - Sacred Music of Stanford and Parry

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Anglican music, this cd is a "must have"!, 17 Feb. 2013
I heard this cd reviewed on Radio 3, heard the samples on amazon, and knew I had to buy it! To say that I am not disappointed is an understatement! I've played it many times already and it never fails to fascinate and thrill. The Stanford orchestrations are beautiful and add a new, richer dimension to my knowledge of these settings. As for the performances, they are stunningly beautiful, they feel right, they are not over the top nor exaggerated, but, put simply, they are wonderfully crafted, and the sound is one that I want to listen to over and over again. The solo singing is completely convincing, especially the soprano soloist in the Stanford in G Magnificat. I didn't hesitate when I ordered it, and I haven't regretted buying it!

Parker 5th Medium Black Refill (Box of 12)
Parker 5th Medium Black Refill (Box of 12)

2.0 out of 5 stars big disappointment, 20 Nov. 2012
I bought this refill to try it out, thinking that if I liked it I would buy a pen, even thought they are VERY expensive for what they are. I was full of hope that this would be a really nice product, but was very disappointed. It writes ok but is no better than other products on the market now, and definitely no substitute for a proper fountain pen. Don't bother.

Anti Bark Static Shock Dog Training Collar with Adjustable Sensitivity Control - Stop Dog Barking - Peace and Quiet for Self & Neighbours
Offered by Elecsmart

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT, 27 Mar. 2012
PLEASE READ THE OTHER ONE STAR REVIEWS BEFORE EVEN THINKING ABOUT BUYING OR USING THIS PRODUCT. THIS KIND OF METHOD IS COMPLETELY WRONG. IT'S NONSENSE TO SAY THAT IT'S NOT CRUEL. DON'T DO IT.

Elgar: Violin Concerto / Polonia / Interlude from the Crown of India
Elgar: Violin Concerto / Polonia / Interlude from the Crown of India

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite musicality, 27 Feb. 2012
I have at least 8 recordings of the Elgar concerto, but recently heard part of this one on the radio and was entranced by Tasmin Little's sound and by her musicianship. When I heard the cd I was even more bowled over. This is playing of the highest calibre, technically assured and beautifully expressive. At the risk of sounding like Goldilocks, it's just right! Miss Little has a relaxed vibrato which for me is exactly right. This cd has already given me enormous pleasure. If you love this piece, you'll love this cd. And the "Crown of India" interlude is a gem!

Christmas Carols from St John's (Choir of St John's College, Cambridge) (Chandos)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful singing and musicianship., 21 Dec. 2011
This cd was recorded in 1986 and is a classic St. John's recording even though it is not particularly well known. It has a good collection of well known and 'choir' carols beautifully sung with superb musicality. I was absolutely thrilled when my copy arrived and I could wallow in the SJC sound. If you love this choir, as I do, then you should have this cd in your collection because it really is beautiful. Three tracks that stand out for me are Warlock's Balulalow, Hadley's I Sing of a Maiden and Poston's Jesus Christ the Apple Tree.

Great Cathedral Organs
Great Cathedral Organs

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful organ sounds in big acoustics., 29 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Great Cathedral Organs (Audio CD)
I bought this through amazon.it for 27 euros which was even more of a bargain than the amazon.co.uk price. But that apart, this is a most wonderful collection for anyone who loves the sound of a big British organ in a big acoustic. I had the Gloucester LP years and years ago for the recording of the Elgar Sonata, so this cd brought back many happy memories of that. It arrived only yesterday and I've dipped into several of the cds and they are just what I had hoped for. If you want to see the list of the repertoire before buying, just put the title into Google and you'll find everything listed. The recording quality is superb. There is real presence. I am absolutely delighted with this set and I'm sure lots of others with tastes similar to mine will feel the same!

A Friend Like Henry
A Friend Like Henry
by Nuala Gardner

3.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a family's struggle with autism, 11 July 2011
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Paperback)
I bought this book thinking it would be about Henry, but it is really like a diary of the family and the struggle to cope with the problems. If you're interested in Animal Assisted Therapy, then this is not the book to buy. It is a heart-warming story, but not all that well written.

Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug, Graphite (Grey)
Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug, Graphite (Grey)
Offered by KM AGENCIES

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant design, brilliant coffee maker, 7 April 2011
I'm not always mad about gadgets, but I do love it when I see something with a brilliant design and this cup has just that! This makes an excellent single mug of coffee of whatever strength you like. While it's brewing, the water is kept hot, so it brews well. After you've pushed the filter down to add milk etc, the coffee remains hot. Perfect! You can also use it to make using loose tea, which gets pushed down to the bottom like the coffee grains. I have one at home and one at work, and I've bought them as presents. They are really great.

Elgar: Violin Concerto
Elgar: Violin Concerto
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful!, 2 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Elgar: Violin Concerto (Audio CD)
This performance is stunning and is absolutely riveting from start to finish. Not only is it glittering with technical aplomb, but it radiates a musicality which transcends technical excellence. I have about 8 cds of this concerto, and while I am unable to pick one favourite, this recording is fast becoming more than just a good addition to my collection! I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Sabichi 1200 ml Double Wall Teapot
Sabichi 1200 ml Double Wall Teapot
Offered by Perfekt Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars best teapot I've evr had!, 15 July 2010
I am absolutely delighted with this teapot. It looks great; it's much shinier than the picture seems. It pours beautifully and the lid stays put. It makes a really good pot of tea with two tea bags. The double-wall idea helps keep the tea hot; it's not like a thermos, but it works well. I live abroad and it's not easy for me to get a decent teapot, but this one has really scored a hit in my household!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3