Profile for Books keep me sane > Reviews

Content by Books keep me sane

Books keep me sane "Rosie" (Norfolk UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Uninvited Guests
The Uninvited Guests
by Sadie Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear......, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Uninvited Guests (Paperback)
Having read The Outcast and Small Wars I didn't hesistate in suggesting this to our book group. As I read it my heart sank to think of the others reading this.
What a dire book. How could a writer who was so sparkling yet subtle in her other two books get this one so horribly wrong.
When we discussed it not one person liked it, no one really 'got it', we couldn't make sense of what any underlying themes were. The one bit that stood out was the 'hunting' game played in the dining room, there was real tension and for a moment there was promise of better writing to come....but no.
If i had read this prior to the other two books I would not of bothered reading them, sadly. Read The Outcast and Small Wars, don't bother with this.

Big Little Felt Universe
Big Little Felt Universe
by Jeanette Lim

4.0 out of 5 stars But why???, 20 Mar. 2013
I love felting, I really do. This book is beautiful, the projects are beautiful, but, but....why? Why would anyone make a felt electric screwdriver for example, or a felt camping lantern? I guess if I had small children I might, but otherwise, why?
Having said that I feel I WANT to make these things, it's inexplicable. Maybe I need therapy, or better still grandchildren who are too young for sharp objects!!

Ghastly Business
Ghastly Business
by Louise Levene

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ghastly Business (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have read in a 'veh, veh' long time.
I normally read dark, slightly warped books with little in the way of laughter, this book incorporates both. With a cracking turn of phrase Levene paints sparklingly dark pictures.
Relish the fantasy of Dr Kemble, the cabbagey aroma or Mrs Frith, the inadequately short Hubbard and the stony cliff face of Dr Strang.
For the first time ever I wanted to reread a book the moment I finished it.

OPI Nail Envy Matte Strength 15 ml
OPI Nail Envy Matte Strength 15 ml
Offered by Ella Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars I have claws!!, 18 Sept. 2012
I bought this strengthener in May and have used it pretty much the whole time since. My nails are better than they have ever been in my entire 48 years :) I put on a coat twice a week, every 3 days or so and remove once a week or they can look a bit yellow. The matte effect seems to become shiney if you frequently use handcream, but not as shiney as it would be with a normal glossy varnish. I recommended this to my daughter, she doesn't use it as much as me but even so it has helped. I am really impressed as my hands get alot of washing, gardening and animal care to cope with and the nails are still looking good with no peeling or cracking.Even without the strengthener on for a few days my nails remain strong. Also buying on Amazon is way cheaper than on the high street.

Asylum
Asylum
by Patrick McGrath

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed The Little Stranger read this., 10 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Asylum (Paperback)
I can not recall now when I first read this book, but I know I shall read it again and again. As the men around her consume Stella so the book consumes your thoughts.It is hard to reconcile your idea of good and bad to what occurs as the story develops, an even now I would be hard pressed to do so. That is why I love this book so much, it satisfies but still leaves us the puzzle that queries or own beliefs....brilliant.
Set at an asylum in the 1950's, whose atmosphere is brilliantly evoked ( it is interesting to note that McGraths father worked in such an asylumas did my grandfather) there is a tangible authenticity to the 'little empire' mentality of the staff who acted as apparently benign dictators.
Stella, the unfortunate focus of our interest, a bored and frustrated wife of the assistant superintendant embarks on an intense affair with a 'dangerous' inmate. However we later discover that he is not the person who will ultimately manipulate her beyond bearing....the climax is unexpected, disturbing and tragic.
Read this, to say more would spoil your enjoyment.
Suffice to say, love ( what ever that is!) has a voracious appetite!

Epson Stylus SX425W Colour Inkjet Printer/Scanner/Copier (All-In-One, Individual Ink Technology & Wi-Fi )

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money!, 10 Mar. 2012
I bought this printer six months ago. All seemed great. Wireless set up was fairly straight forward and the printer produced good quality prints and photocopies as it purred happily. It also seemed to print a high quantity for the the amount of ink.

THEN IT ALL WENT HORRIBLY WRONG!!

First of all a message came up saying I was low on black ink, fair enough I thought, I'll still be able to print in colour....but no, I couldn't print a damn thing, it wouldn't let me....I swear I could hear a maniacal laugh coming from it as it exerted control over my being.I obediently replaced the black, then the same happenend with the yellow, then pink, then in quick succession the blue.
Then, although it read that all cartridges were accepted and full it would not print anything in black...aaarrgghh.
Took black out, wiped with damp kitchen roll, waited to dry, replaced....same problem. Cleaned heads and nozzle checked via control panel, did it again, and again...gave up, drank tea, cut lots of stuff down in the garden, drank wine. Tried printer.....still wont print black.
Checked on-line forums...apparently Epson printers do this...ALOT!! People hurl them out of windows in despair, swear never to buy another and resort to quill pens.
I hate my printer...if there weren't the danger of physical injury to me or the lurking dogs I would hit it repeatedly with a sledgehammer.
I am going to lie down in a darkened roo.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...BUY ONE OF THESE AT YOUR PERIL!!

Compatible Button Hole Foot by 60°®
Compatible Button Hole Foot by 60°®
Offered by Eastman Staples Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 31 Dec. 2011
I bought two items from this retailer the buttonhole foot and the free style/darning foot. I have an old Toyota sewing machine whose feet, over the years, had walked these are super replacements. They are truly universal and excellent value for money, I would highly recommend.

Tunewear TriPorter for iPod Nano 6G with Back and Front Screen Protector ? Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, 31 Dec. 2011
Althought this arrived promptly I was disappointed with the actual product. The wrist strap seemed to be blessed with a ridulous amount amount of velcro making it awkward, the case was brittle and therefore felt liable to snap and the waistband strap seemed insecure. I have decided to return the whole thing. Sad as I had high hopes for this piece of kit.

Katherine
Katherine
by Anya Seton

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader I married him. A quiet wedding we had...., 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Katherine (Paperback)
No you haven't fallen into a Jane Eyre review by mistake, but like that book the most amazing aspect of this story is towards the end, and hence Katherine becomes the ancestress of kings and queens.
Some of this story is obviously written creatively but the underlying events are true and the more incredible for that.
Beautifully written, it draws you in and keeps you reading, this a classic and Katherine, for me, is reminiscent of Eleanor of Acquitane in her strength and determination.
This is one of my favourite books and I have loved it when my daughter and friends have discovered it. I hope you will love it as much as I do.

On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
by Nevil Shute Norway

4.0 out of 5 stars Well imagined...but with a stiff upper lip, 21 Jan. 2011
I have never read a Nevil Shute book, he was the kind of author you saw your Dad reading in the 1960s, so obviously it was not for you. WRONG!
If you like John Wymndham you would love this, also has a slightly Richard Yates feel. Set in 1963 (very nearly prophetic when you consider the cuban missile crisis)but written earlier. Set in Australia, but with a very British and stoic feel. It does feel a bit dated but I prefer to think vintage and consider what the 1950s-60s were like. The writing style is spare and crisp, like a great artist creating a picture with just a few strokes. Some of the story does not feel plausible, the characters are so sexually well behaved, but on the whole it holds the story together well. I do however, get the feeling the end of the world would be alot more crazy, but would love to believe that it might be this pleasant.
It is a good book, it is thought provoking, it may make you cry, you wont forget it in a hurry.

Page: 1 | 2