Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now
Profile for TheBalancedReviewer > Reviews

Content by TheBalancedRev...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pigtronix Infinity Looper, Dual Stereo Loop Pedal
Pigtronix Infinity Looper, Dual Stereo Loop Pedal
Offered by Dawsons Music

5.0 out of 5 stars I love guitar-based looping but 'hate loopers', 27 Oct. 2015
I love guitar-based looping but 'hate loopers'. Over the years I've had Boss RCs - the 2, the 20xl, the rc50... a Ditto... a Jamman.. an Akai Headrush. I've never fallen in love with any of them and really wanted a sort of frankenstein product that didn't exist: some sounded poor, some had zillions of features I didn't need, some had bad switches that would fail to engage, none had MIDI sync.

The real purpose of buying the Infinity was a new duo I formed where we were to make use of a drum machine. Now, loopers with drum machines do not work together as the loops will drift out of time pretty soon - the only way around this is to record the drum machine into the looper, which is a big fudge and very limiting. Worse, while some higher end loopers do have MIDI sync it's often a feature that's a bit flakey. The Pigtronix 'just worked' with my Alesis SR-16, my DAW and has a good reputation working with other popular devices. I imagine MIDI sync is why many will buy this - if I didn't need that I'd be happy with a simple TC Ditto 90% of the time!

Aside from that the looper has fantastic sound quality, the recording sound must like live guitar when running in an amp's FX loop. There are two separate loops to play with and, as is often the case with loopers, the ability to add further footswitch for more control options - although so far for my fairly vanilla looping needs I haven't needed these. The foot-switches always work and if your timing is good the unit's will be too.

As loopers go it's middle-of-the-road in terms of feature count so you might want to sit down with the manual to uncover more advanced options but people who know the basics of loop pedal work will be able to do jump in and start jamming.

It's USB-savvy so if you've created a great idea you can dump it onto your computer for further work in a DAW. You can also import loops although I only ever use loopers without pre-recorded material on them.

It's a pedal that encourages creatively and as a musical sketchpad, a live tool, a practice tool and you will likely end up creating cool cinematic soundscapes if you're anything like me just for fun.

Unlike most loopers I can't think of any frustrations with it so on that basis I'm going to give it five stars.

List of the Lost
List of the Lost
by Morrissey

1.0 out of 5 stars It's worse than you could imagine, 28 Sept. 2015
This review is from: List of the Lost (Paperback)
I'm a bit of a contrarian by nature so I hoped to write a charitable review. I'm a Smiths and sometimes Moz fan so thought, 'Why not?'. However, this book isn't just asinine drivel but it sums up everything that's wrong with the publishing industry. There's no way in a million years this would be accepted as a first novel by any publisher if it wasn't attached to Morrissey.

It has the air of something written by a bright but pretentious 15 year old that's swallowed a thesaurus and read a couple of books beyond their years. Seriously, there are lines in this that make E L James and Dan Brown seem like literary masters.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2015 5:27 PM BST

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a real Jag for a nice price!, 31 Aug. 2015
A little background: I used to play gigs regularly in various bands and evolved my set-up to higher and higher end, using the day job money to pay for it. I was born in the era when a 'cheap guitar' could be feel relatively unplayable, even with set-up, or have such horrible electrics, nuts, pickups, etc. that it was a false economy.

To be fair the earlier 90s Squiers, when I was a young teen, were really good, largely Korean guitars that could be modded-up to become solid gig-machines - my Squier Tele was a good friend. But when I started buying US models, and enjoying the difference, never thought of Squier again.

That was until people started handing me cheap chinese Squiers to set-up or fix, sometimes for their teenager. I realised that even the most basic £80 instruments had perfectly playable necks and din't feel bad at all. Sure the electrics still weren't good, the pickups ropey, but you'd think, 'Some better pickups, set-up, maybe a better nut and I'd use this £80 axe quite happily for anything.'

So I started looking at the 'better' Squiers. The Standard Series, Classic Vibes, the Vintage modified - and these often sub £300 models were way better than I could have expected. I'd been tempted by many of them but never really needed one. Until I decided I wanted a Jaguar...

Now, I had a nice Japanese Fender Jag that I sold to free up funds for another purchase and regretted it. Not being such a regular gigger these days I couldn't really justify anything expensive to replace it. So I pickup up a VM Squier Jag. And it's great!

The feel and playability of the neck is superior to the Japanese Fender, which had a more vintage 7.5 radius neck. I think the basswood body is lighter but the overall balance feels just right. Before purchase I had ideas of dropping in top-grade pots and wiring and adding boutique pickups but to be honest it sounds really good with everything stock so I've a feeling I may not bother. Overall, from memory, the Made in Japan Jag had a hint of extra finish and build quality about it but I can't say why particularly.

In terms of sound it's all Jaguar. This really is the Jag sound not just something that looks the part. The 'Designed by Duncan' pickups are clear and have good output - not a boutique sound but not some sterile, characterless sound either and certainly do not sound like low-end rubbish. If this guitar was twice the price and from a Mexican or Japanese factory I would still think it was good.

While the 9.5 neck radius and medium jumbo frets make it better than some old Jags for the modern-style player it's odd that they have not put in the mustang bridge, which is a common mod to stop strings popping out under heavy playing. The Squier takes any standard mustang bridge, though. About £25 extra. An easy fix.

Overall, if you want to try a Jag but don't want a big price tag the Squier gets you the vibe, the feel, the sound for very little money. Yes, the Fender-badged models have that extra feel of high quality about them but it's not proportional in terms of prices asked.

1kg Raco Wholegrain Rat & Mouse Killer
1kg Raco Wholegrain Rat & Mouse Killer
Offered by UPC Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work well, 17 Mar. 2015
Noticed a commercial rat guy we used to clear out soiled loft insulation in an extension area and disinfect had this stuff. As the rats continued to infest the loft space after the removal of their 'bedding' I went DIY and bought the same product. It took a few weeks of filling the trays but after a while they didn't come back. As there was no water source in the loft space I assume they left the building to 'die'.

High Quality Raspberry Pi 2 Case for Model B - Clear/Transparent **ACCESS to all Ports **
Offered by SB Components Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 17 Mar. 2015
Good cheap, well-fitted Pi 2 case that allows to to see all the bits, which is good when explaining the computer to a child. It does the job so 5 stars!

Read Write Inc. Phonics: Green Set 1 B/W Storybooks: Mixed Pack of 10 books
Read Write Inc. Phonics: Green Set 1 B/W Storybooks: Mixed Pack of 10 books
by Ruth Miskin

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 Mar. 2015
Good, clear, logical, inexpensive phonics-based easy readers. Daughter, who is a somewhat resistant reader, seems to quite like them.

Prestige Cartridge 504S Toner Cartridge for Samsung CLP-415N/CLX-4195FN/CLX-4195N - Assorted Colour (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper, work well, no brainer., 17 Mar. 2015
This is the second time we've purchased a set of these. Cheaper than Samsung ones. Seem to work just as well. Why pay more?

Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Plastic Restorer
Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Plastic Restorer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for even really tired old dashboards, 17 Mar. 2015
Bought this primarily to spruce up a tired grey dash on my van, which had patches mottled uneven fading. Wasn't sure if it was 'just for blacks' but gave it a go. It enriched and evened out the mottled patches almost perfectly making everything look very new - did exactly what I needed. Bought locally as I was in a rush to. It would have been a shade cheaper on Amazon.

Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) (Bible Kjv)
Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) (Bible Kjv)
by Collins Staff
Edition: Leather Bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic edition, 13 Dec. 2014
I will try and make this review 'non religious'. Why? Because I think the Holy Bible is incredible reading matter whatever your religious convictions or lack of them.

Anyway, this is a fabulous edition. There are millions of Bibles around and dozens of different translations and paraphrases but if you want something portable (but not pocket-sized) with readable text and no added commentaries or bits and pieces this is the best.

The pages are made from thin 'Bible paper', which keeps the size down. The pages are edged in gold leaf while the cover is dark leather. There's an attractive slip case too. If you are buying a Bible because you are a believer or seeker, feel a need for a copy of the Holy Bible on your bookshelf for reference, or simply want to own an important book that has greatly influenced the English-speaking world from an academic standpoint, the plain yet pretty way this edition is presented is wonderful. It looks very much like what most people would imagine a 'Holy Bible' should look like - I certainly like Bibles that look, well, Bible-y.

The KJV is by far the best version - even if you are not religious and have never read a Bible before you will see how so many common phrases and idioms in the English language are drawn from this particular translation. It frequently sounds utterly majestic, which is why, I imagine, it still holds its own among all the other versions. The 400 year old English is rarely hard to understand compared to modern translations, even if you've never read literature of this vintage before.

For £20 RRP (or whatever lower price it is on Amazon at the moment) it's an absolute bargain.

Ukip Calypso
Ukip Calypso

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bob Marley, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ukip Calypso (MP3 Download)
As a huge fan of classic-era reggae music from the offbeat riddims of Peter Andre's Mysterious Girl to All That She Wants by the legendary Ace of Base I was keen to check out this new record by Mike Read, who I couldn't remember if was in jail over Yewtree or not.

It turns out he's not suffered a sniff of that and free to continue his formidable musical career.

Once white working class 'skins' bopped to the early reggae sound before being sidetracked by far-right cockney Oi music. Now things have come full circle with the far-right supplying the riddims. Surely a win-win for everyone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3