Profile for Mr. J W > Reviews

Content by Mr. J W

Mr. J W "john_w" (Glasgow)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Number Of The Beast (1998 Remastered Version)
The Number Of The Beast (1998 Remastered Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho ho ho, 14 Dec 2014
Always thought this would be a good number to eat over Christmas dinner.

The Out of Office Girl
The Out of Office Girl
by Nicola Doherty

4.0 out of 5 stars Take on holiday to read by the pool!, 3 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Out of Office Girl (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book, happy to read a couple of chapters before bed. I was never rushing to pick it up to find out what happens but it was an easy read and one good for holidays. The main character Alice is likeable enough. The plot is quite predictable. I really enjoyed feeling transported to Sicily, the author explained the views and atmosphere well. Not a page turner but a pleasant read.

Savages
Savages

5.0 out of 5 stars They're back..., 24 Nov 2014
This review is from: Savages (Audio CD)
The truth is.... that "The Truth Is..." album was awful. But I am very very pleased to say that Theory of a Deadman (ToaD) are back... and back to something approaching their best. I *loved* their first three albums, and I was shocked with the last one.

But I saw them a few weeks ago, and I immediately went out and bought Savages. Some quite brilliant tracks on here that remind me of Gasoline - Drown and Panic Room are two standouts. Blow contains just brilliant lyrics and the tune reminds me of their original album.

Since I have been listening to Savages, I have pulled the first 3 albums back onto my regular playlist. Its great to have ToaD back. A big UK tour beckons in spring '15... looking forward to that.

Nokia Lumia 735 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Grey (4.7-inch)
Nokia Lumia 735 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Grey (4.7-inch)
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on for work and personal use, 14 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this phone for a while with my work; and I recently got another one to use for home.

I do love this phone - from a hardware point of view, it is well built, has survived a couple of drops out of pockets, and the battery life is better than my previous android phone. The camera is excellent. Overall a really nice piece of kit - for an office/work environment, it's perfect.

Software - it did take me a few days to get to grips with the windows interface, but it quickly becomes second nature. I have grown to love the tile interface, and it allows 'one screen' access to all your favourite apps. By that, i mean you dont need to flip around different screens. The usual apps I need are all there - spotify, facebook, dropbox etc. I dont play a huge number of games, but i think the choice looks more limited there. Software to view office documents is all there, which is great. Email/calendar is absolutely brilliant.

Overall, I am really pleased. This is the first Nokia i have owned for a long time - and it did feel a big leap to go back. But I am very glad I did.

Roberts 'Blutune 65' DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Bluetooth Sound System with Dock for iPod/iPhone/iPad - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased - great sound system, 29 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this device as a mobile speaker/radio - for use around the house. Overall really delighted.

Most important aspect of any device like this is the sound. I like hard rock/metal so that tends to be whats played. Overall, strong sound - good middle range and fine bass. Not quite as punchy as my bose/sonos gear, but overall very pleased.

Connectivity is very good. Bluetooth means you can use for your android/iphone, so pretty much any device is going to work through this system. If you have a Lightning connection (iphone 5 and later), iPad mini2, etc, then you can sit the device in the dock.

DAB radio is fab, nice touch with the USB port for charging devices.

Really pleased. Roberts always had a reputation for good quality kit, and this is a great item. Definitely recommend highly.

Gaby's Angel
Gaby's Angel
by Janet Hoggarth

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks from my 12 year old, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Gaby's Angel (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter who is 12 read this book, and I asked her for a review.

Marks out of 10, she decided it was worth 10. She loved the story, really enjoyed the characters, and thought it was a really great book. She would definitely recommend it to others.

Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very nice, 18 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have left a similar review for the no. 7 capsules! But i cant really think of much else to say!!

I love my coffee. When I am not using my nespresso machine (a CitiZ Magimix M190) my favourite instant coffee is Carte Noire. So i was intrigued about how this would taste bring my two favourite coffee brands together. I was also a bit apprehensive as i have tried 'nespresso compatible' pods before - which were a total fail.

But no fears on either count. The pods were perfect - each individual pod is sealed. When you open it, you get a fantastic smell. The pod fitted perfectly, and no additional pressure was needed to lock into place.

The coffee itself - very nice. I would say it was nicer to the No. 9 - i do like the strength 9+ on the Nespresso branded capsules. I was say it was similar to Indriya- maybe just a bit more 'earthy'.

Overall, delighted. I will definitely get these again. Prefer these ones to the weaker Carte Noire - the 10 strength are my favourite though.

Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02
Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great quality stapler. Feels solid and well made. seems strange writing a lot for 'commodity' items like this... but it does what it says on the tin!

The Inheritance
The Inheritance
by Tilly Bagshawe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, kept me going for ages, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
M husband gave me this book for a period of travel we had. Have read other books by Tilly Bagshawe and looked forward to this one. It didnt disappoint - great storyline, loved the characters, and the length of the book meant that it kept me going for a few days. Will definitely read more by the same author, looking forward to the next...

Trunki PaddlePak Water-Resistant Backpack - Inky the Octopus (Purple)
Trunki PaddlePak Water-Resistant Backpack - Inky the Octopus (Purple)

5.0 out of 5 stars great idea and talking-point for kids, 22 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Loved this backpack, as did my daughter. What a great way to take all her stuff down to the pool. Nice pockets and areas to keep her bits and pieces, and it gives a great talking point (which my daughter loves) for others who see this bag. Have been asked on several occasions where i got this.
All in - great value.