Profile for Allan Webb > Reviews

Allan Webb (UK)

Quinlan's Character Stars
Quinlan's Character Stars
by David Quinlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for film buffs who don't do computers, 27 Nov. 2015
If you're looking for a present for an old-fashioned film buff who doesn't do computers, then buy this superb book. It's an ideal companion for David Quinlan's Film Stars. You can probably guess from this that I bought this book for my mother, and she absolutely loves it.

Xxion Value GOLD 5 metre 3.5mm Stereo Jack Headphone / iPod / MP3 Extension Audio Lead / Cable for PC, Mac, MP3, IPod, PC Speakers etc.,
Offered by ConneXxions

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Stereo Extension, 28 April 2013
A very useful 3.5mm stereo extension cable. It's miles cheaper than many high street shops, but is still good quality. I use it between my PC and stereo earphones, and it works very well.

It's worth pointing out that the cable is a different shape to the one in the photo- it's actually a figure-of-eight two-core, rather than the round single-core shown. However, don't be put off by this- the product is still decent quality and works well.

Erasing Shield - SINGLE
Erasing Shield - SINGLE
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and useful gadget, 28 April 2013
A very useful gadget, at a very reasonable price. It's a thin metal shield with various shapes cut out, to enable precision erasing.

Wenger Super Sharpener
Wenger Super Sharpener

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for "topping up" reasonably sharp knives, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Wenger Super Sharpener (Sports)
The Wenger Super Sharpener is very good for knives which just require a moderate amount of sharpening. It can be used regularly to keep a blade in good condition without removing a lot of metal from it.

However, I found it to be not much use with extremely blunt blades. For these I'd recommend the AnySharp Sharpener, which will put a sharp edge on just about anything, but will also remove much more metal from the blade.

I said in my review of the AnySharp Sharpener that I've found that there isn't a perfect sharpener for every application, and I think it's worth repeating that here. If you buy both the AnySharp and the Wenger Super Sharpener, you'll be covered for most situations.

AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)
AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for blunt knives, 28 April 2010
This is a very useful item which works best with very blunt blades. It has transformed an old Swiss Army knife, and put a good edge on a couple of cheap-and-cheerful multi-tool blades which have never been sharp before.

There appears to be great debate over how much metal this sharpener removes from a blade as it sharpens. I've found that it depends on the quality of the metal in the blade. A lot of metal came off my two multi-tool blades, which are very cheap soft metal. Much less came off my Swiss Army knife and my kitchen knife, which are of better quality harder metal. So bear this in mind when sharpening.

If you have a knife which is already reasonably sharp and just needs some "topping up", I'd recommend the Wenger Super Sharpener. It does this very well without removing as much metal as the AnySharp.

I've found that there isn't a perfect sharpener for every application, so I'd recommend that you buy both the AnySharp and the Wenger Super Sharpener. This will cover most situations.

Draper 73528 230-Volt Inspection Lamp
Draper 73528 230-Volt Inspection Lamp
Offered by Toolville Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Draper 73528 230V Inspection Lamp, 10 Feb. 2010
This is a solid, basic, no-frills inspection lamp from Draper. It's hard to fault it at such a reasonable price.

One point worth noting: it does actually have an on-off switch- it's just not visible in the photo.

Very good price from Amazon.

Handel: Messiah (DG The Originals)
Handel: Messiah (DG The Originals)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, but recording lacks clarity and impact, 3 Jan. 2010
I'm rather disappointed with the sound quality of this CD. I really like the small scale of the performance, and it is beautifully played and sung. However, the sound is so vague, distant and lacking in clarity that I feel I'm miles away from what is going on. With a small-scale version like this, I want to be right in amongst the players, but they sound too far away. There isn't enough impact or presence to the music.

The music also has an unnatural feel to it, as if it has been over-processed on a computer. The result is that the diction of all the singers, both choir and soloists, is poor. Other reviewers have criticised Jon Tomlinson, the bass, but of all the singers on this recording, the sound quality does him the least favours.

I found I was constantly turning up the volume just to hear what was going on. I found my attention wandering, and the work dragging. Listening with headphones did not improve the experience either.

So overall, a very reasonable price from Amazon, but rather disappointing. I'm puzzled as to why this recording has received such enthusiastic reviews on Amazon, and in the Penguin Classics guide. I am fairly new to Messiah, and I can now see why so many of its followers are on a ceaseless quest to find the one version they really like. I reckon I have now joined them.