Profile for Princesspink > Reviews

The Godfather
The Godfather
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This chicklit fan is a convert!, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Godfather (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book because I wanted to watch the film and a lot of people said it's hard to follow in places so I thought I'd read the book first. My bread and butter of books are chick lit so I didn't know what to expect. I love this book, the story line is engaging, it keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout and I didn't want to put it down. I haven't watched the film, I don't know if I need/want to because Puzo creates such a film in your mind. Don't think about it, just read it!

101 Things to Do Before You Diet
101 Things to Do Before You Diet
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Intelligence for dieters, 5 Mar 2014
I'm someone that has lost a lot of weight through diet and exercise and managed to keep it off so I picked this book out of interest more than anything else. This book is easy to read and follow and genuinely has some good tips (are you really hungry or just thirsty, change your routine etc). It has a very common sense approach to dieting and in a lots of ways points out the obvious and tells you what you already know. It IS a diet book but the strategies are less about dieting but more about incorporating everyday strategies in your life. It's not ground breaking advice (eat when you're hungry, stay hydrated and move more and if you're not destined to be a size 8 it's not the end of the world) but it does make good sense. My only concern is that Mimi doesn't advocate 'fad' diets but does heavily endorse 5:2 in other forums (which I'm not knocking, being a 5:2 follower when needed).

Yours Truly
Yours Truly

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Yours Truly (Kindle Edition)
This book is brilliant - it made me laugh out loud in places and I could really empathise with the main character (had a bad haircut and didn't want to complain, loves bit of cheeky carbs) and I think that's what made me turn the pages. I'm not going to go into the plot because other reviews do that, but I will agree that this is a must read. I took this book on holiday and read it within a day I think - I just couldn't put it down. Highly recommended, it's chick lit at is finest.

Wait For Me (Against All Odds Book 1)
Wait For Me (Against All Odds Book 1)
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Only finished it because I had nothing better to do, 24 Feb 2013
I bought this book to read by the pool on holiday which is the only reason I finished it. The plot is totally implausible and I figured out the general gist of the story after the first 3 chapters. It became quite predictable and tedious to read, and I thought the sex scenes were just gratuitous. I couldn't align to the development of the characters, particularly the 9 year old who spoke more like a 16 year old. Not overly impressed.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 20 Sep 2012
I was really hesitant to buy this after reading mixed reviews. I figured for the price it was worth taking a chance. The item came really quickly.

It heats up quickly and gets really hot and it's fairly easy to use - clamp the hair in and wind it round. The effect is more tousled than curly - my hair is pretty long and I didn't get big curls like I thought I would. My hair still looked nice though - it was more of a natural look. I put a bit of spray to make it last and then went out. When I got back some of the effect had dropped but not badly.

Overall, I'm a bit on the fence about this - I was hoping for big curls, which I definitely didn't get, but I am happy with the effect.

Falling Star
Falling Star
Price: 2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get to the end, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
I had to stop reading this - and I LOVE chick-lit/easy reading. I found it quite flat and like the author wrote this book with the sole intention of someone picking up the movie rights. The book annoyed me so I had to stop 2/3 into it.

The Love Verb
The Love Verb
by Jane Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not her best, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Love Verb (Hardcover)
I have read all of Jane Green's books and I found this rather disappointing. Nothing really happens and it's a very predictable book from the start. There are lots of random paragraphs about 'love' which seems to just fill space in the book. It's a very far cry from Jemima J (which I loved so much I have read over again). The characters don't fully develop here and unlike her other books, I found this a bit of a chore to read.

B'day
B'day
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One to enjoy with the girls!, 20 Nov 2006
This review is from: B'day (Audio CD)
I really like DC and Beyonce so of course I was going to buy this album. It has a really good mix of slow and fast songs, with the token duets with Jay Z. It's the kind of album you need to listen to a couple of times before you decided whether or not you like it. One thing it does lack is that there are no 'girl anthems' on it, like 'Survivor' or 'Bills Bills Bills' which is disappointing, but nevertheless, this is an album which will get you singing and dancing along to.

Maps for Lost Lovers
Maps for Lost Lovers
by Nadeem Aslam
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the educated, 4 Sep 2006
This review is from: Maps for Lost Lovers (Paperback)
While other reviews have slated this book, they seem to have missed the point. This is a beautifully written book that examines very real isses, for example the conflict facing those that have had to leave their home countries in search of a better life. It undoubtedly shocks the reader in places with sometimes very violent images, but this only adds to the themes and plotlines. It also shows how devout some people are to their religion and culture, that they would do anything for these purposes. Aslam writes with beautiful imagery and this is a book that you will not only think about long after you've read it, but talk about and recommend to others. It will only make you prejudiced against other people and sections of society if you are that way inclined. Otherwise, it will open your eyes and keep you turning the page.