Profile for johnjonesmith > Reviews

CexCells
CexCells
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Stiff Kittens Copy Cats, 22 Aug. 2007
This review is from: CexCells (Audio CD)
Firstly as a huge AFI fan I had really high hopes for this album. With word that songs like Love Like Winter were originally written for Cexcells I was excited to say the least.

It turns out its not that great, you can definitly tell the influnces such as Depeche Mode or VNV Nation. But they are very much in those songs vains. Its a good enough album but not as good as hoped.

The only slighty comparable idea I can think of is Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio and the Heavens album "Patent Pending" which is much superior.

Hopefully in the future their will be more AFI and less Blaqk Audio.

Yes Man
Yes Man
by Danny Wallace

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 30 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Yes Man (Paperback)
I have to a certain degree enjoyed everything Danny Wallace has been involved I enjoyed Join Me and How To Start Your Own Country as well. It sjust sometimes he can come across a small bit smug I like his writing but sometimes u get the feeling I'm Danny I am great.

Otherwise I enjoyed the book some great little stories, one or two not so great the bit in singapore was a bit boring.

Danny's fine and good but but I prefer the slighty more surrell Dave Gorman.

Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
by Stephen Kendrick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Hey Holmes!, 21 Jun. 2007
The is a pretty good book overall. It does capture the feel of Conan Doyle's work well and Holmes and Watson quite faithful to the originals.

The story while not excellent provides a good whodunnit more akin to a Miss Marple story.

The major problem I have with the piece is the inclusion of Father Brown. Have not read any of the Father Brown stories but felt he was added into this book just to get a few Father Brown fans to read it.

He does very little for 90 percent of the book and then it is him who solves the crime in a pretty silly ending, which does not show the great detective in a great light at all.

Good story, Holmes and Watson well written silly ending.

Music From Regions Beyond
Music From Regions Beyond

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiger Army Never Die?, 2 Jun. 2007
Album number 4 and we lose the numerals whos knows why or cares really.

Its more of the same really but the same is really really good. Some great fast rock out songs such as forever fades away and afterworld then a couple of slower great songs like as the moss slowly grows and As The Cold Rain Falls.

The usual guest vocalist Davey Havok (surprising I know) is joined by a few others most noticebly Alain White of Morrissey fame.

It is essentially the same as 1-3 but its again a great album.

Sun And The Moon, The [Us Import]
Sun And The Moon, The [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not an honest mistake (bad pun i know), 23 May 2007
The bravery's second album is upon us already and I'm very happy. Firstly let all comparsions with The killers die now (I like the killers also), they are losely connected at most. Similiar types of music on their first albums but nothing else really.

Anyway, onto the Sun and the Moon which frankly is every bit as good as the first album. Its not as synth heavy but shows they have matured all round with sam endicots lyrics being much deeper than stuff like "Stop, Drop and roll" great song as it is.

The first single "Time Won't Let Me Go" is quite reprensentive of the album as whole much as "An Honest Mistake" did for The Bravery.

Much like the first album I like every single song on it not a dud in sight stand outs are the whistle fest "Bad Sun", "Angelina", "Everyword is a knife in my ear" and "Time Won't Let Me Go".

Great great album only shame is missing the three bonus tracks available from other surces.