Profile for D. C. Minter > Reviews

Content by D. C. Minter

D. C. Minter (London, UK.)

Pro Spring: From Professional to Expert (Expert's Voice in Java)
Pro Spring: From Professional to Expert (Expert's Voice in Java)
by Rob Harrop

5.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of all the Spring technologies., 28 Oct. 2005
The one major failing I found was that the book failed to discuss why one would want to use Spring in the first place - much was made of the AOP and IOP paradigms, for instance, but no real effort was made to demonstrate the (debateable) advantages that they convey in comparison to conventional techniques. I would have appreciated such a discussion.
This book's greatest success is in presenting a good working example of each of the technologies included in the Spring framework. I have been using it to get up to speed on Spring and couldn't have asked for a more useful text in that respect.
Generally speaking the descriptions of each of the technologies is accurate, with only occasional failings (inevitable in an 800 page tome) in the proof reading. A few of the technologies are covered in rather less detail than would truly be needed to be a "Pro" in the suite - but I don't see how that could be avoided given that some of them are already very sophisticated in their own right.
Regardless, this is an impressive book and very definitely deserves a full five star rating; don't let my few quibbles put you off - if you need to use Spring you need to buy this book.

User Interface Design for Programmers
User Interface Design for Programmers
by Joel Spolsky

5.0 out of 5 stars A cover to cover read, 24 Jun. 2005
I've just spent a very enjoyable afternoon reading this book. Joel has a very engaging writing style and avoids being preachy or overly flippant.
To some extent I suspect that Joel's audience are already converted given that they are reading the book at all - but I'll admit to committing a few of the sins he describes so entertainingly, and I'll avoid them in future.
I recommend it as a good read almost as much as for its technical content - buy it at once.

Digital Retro: The Evolution and Design of the Personal Computer
Digital Retro: The Evolution and Design of the Personal Computer
by Gordon Laing

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase., 31 Oct. 2004
I bought this the other day as a birthday present for a fellow technophile. I spent an unintentional hour flicking through the pages at the gizmos that I owned or aspired to in my childhood. It will be a wrench to wrap this!
The photographs give a real feel for what these machines were like (judging from the ones I used to own), and the brief commentaries bring them into even shaper focus.
It's a coffee table book, but expect the coffee to go cold. Absolutely wonderful.