Profile for Mr. C. Broughton > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Broughton

Mr. C. Broughton "." (England)

Page: 1 | 2
JUSTOP BTR006 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Receiver With 3.5MM Jack, Universal Adapter For Speakers, New Module with Bluetooth V2.1 A2DP profile
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to., 2 July 2013
The device does what you would expect it to do, however my version came with no charger or 3.5mm adapter, as stated above. thankfully I have an old charger lying around that seems to be compatible.

OUYA Console (Electronic Games)
OUYA Console (Electronic Games)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little box, but could have been better, 1 July 2013
Why I purchased the OUYA:

Mainly to play old games on, but also to watch Youtube video, browse the net, and stream films from my computer.

Pro's of the OUYA:

* Play's retro games rather well. (anything from the old DOS games to PS1 era, have not tried any Nintendo Emulators)
* Good to use for basic internet functions, in a room where you have no internet connectivity. (My front room has no device capable of connecting to the internet, would make a nice set-top-box of sorts)
* Watching videos, be it online, streamed from another source such as a PC, or from the device itself. Using the MX Player, I was able to stream 1080p video without any lag, all other video players I tried caused lag.
* Is extremely small, makes it easy to find space for.
* Has modern connectivity support. (HDMI, Bluetooth, USB)
* Is (potentially) capable of running all android APK's.
* Supports Mouse and Keyboard, so navigating menus is a tad easier.
* Very lightweight.
* Have the ability to side-load apps.

Cons:

* Cannot (currently) play games past the PS1 era.
* No native support for legacy connections.
* Requires creating an account, and supplying financial information.
* Requires internet connectivity on first launch.
* It's so light-weight, the cables can cause the console to move about.
* Menus can be buggy at times, should be fixable in a software update.
* Controller triggers are not the greatest.
* D-pad is mushy.
* Limited internal storage space of 8GB (although USB storage support is said to be in the works)
* At the moment, most apps are not officially supported, but many will still work if side-loaded.

So far, the console has met my expectations. It's a basic, android device that is capable of being a console, just not the most powerful console you have ever used. It has met the ability to do all of the functions I stated at the top of this review, be it with a bit of hassle. If you are comfortable side-loading apps, and you like the pro's listed, then it should meet your expectations, however, there are negatives that you should not ignore, such as the need to supply financial information, and that it require internet connectivity on first launch.

Overall: Good little box, but could have been better

Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to scratch, but why?, 2 April 2013
I usually write reviews that praise Gigabyte motherboards, because on the whole, they are very good motherboards. I don't know what happened, if it was a bad shipment or batch of boards, but I had two of these boards go wrong in less than a year and a half. The first only had one functioning RAM slot when it arrived, which is obviously no good and the second one's Ethernet port died after about 6 months of usage.

On the whole, the motherboards performance is great for the price, however, with the issues I had with this board, I cannot recommend it. If it turns out that there was a bad batch, then I would say go for it, but for now I will say spend a bit more and buy something that is more durable. I picked up the Sabertooth Z77 by ASUS instead.

SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
SimCity - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Go2Games

2.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable in it's current state. Avoid., 8 Mar 2013
So far, I have managed to play for about 10 minutes, and what I saw looked promising, before I was disconnected. Right now, I am in a queue, and have been for the last 30 minutes, looks like I might be here for a while. If I actually get to play the game for a decent amount of time, I will write a proper review, but the "Return" button is looking like a more sensible option.

Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, but....., 16 Jan 2011
Now, I have been putting this review off for a while, mainly because I'm at odds with this mouse. While I love the looks and feeling of it, I have had a few problems.

My Sidewinder worked brilliantly for ages, smooth and precise just as you would expect. Then all of a sudden, the mouse would fail to work, and tracking became horrendous. I sent the mouse back and got a new one about a week later. This one also went wrong, sent it back and finally got one that works. I have several grips with the mouse, including the fact the DPI seems to randomly change when you move the mouse. It does not happen enough to be constantly frustrating, but it does happen. It also does not seem to like objects placed between it and the receiver, such as a cup or glass. If a particularly large object is nearby, tracking becomes rather bad as well. It should also be noted that these problems do not occur consistently, but are a rare occurrence and do not happen with every single Sidewinder.

The featured DPI screen is great, allowing for a quick look at your mouse, and the DPI speeds are fully customisable, with three settings allowed. Each speed corresponds with each of the DPI buttons located on the top of the mouse, near the scroll wheel. I feel that the scroll wheel needs to feel heavier and has a cheapish feel to the plastic. Although the mouse also supports customisable macros, I feel that this feature can be overlooked easily, as many "gaming" mice have dedicated buttons.

While this mouse has it's problems, I still love it and wish Microsoft would help out more with their customer services. Great mouse overall, but not consistently great.

Edit: As of today, 11 April 2012, the mouse has ceased to function.

VFR Real Scenery Vol 1: South East England Add-On for FSX (PC DVD)
VFR Real Scenery Vol 1: South East England Add-On for FSX (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

4.0 out of 5 stars I can see my house !!!, 14 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I fly a lot in FSX, so much that I want to be able to experience my local area from the sky. The improvements over the default scenery is great, and individual houses can be made out with ease, providing the settings are set correctly. I can navigate the surrounding area with ease, as I know certain landmarks, buildings, roads and so on. I wish I had bought the entire collection, as it can usually be found with a reduced price.

The only minus to this product is that all 3D buildings outside of any airport are now gone, but from the sky the scenery looks more stunning the ever.

If you know the area, you will love this product. If you don't, but live in England, buy your regions product instead or buy the entire collection.

Cities XL 2011
Cities XL 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardly any improvements over Cities XL, 14 Jan 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cities XL 2011 (DVD-ROM)
After the failure of Cities XL, I was looking forward to playing an enhanced version of Cities XL. I'm sure many people expected upgrades, enhancements and general improvements to the game. Unfortunately, the game still does not deliver the promise that Cities XL tried to entice me with.

The Online option is gone, as Monte Cristo is trying to focus on a Single Player Experience. Although the game is solid, there are not enough extras over the previous version of the game. One of the better additions to the game is that it is now possible to trade between your cities, and trade resources with the computer. This helps greatly with the "Single Player Experience" as before, trading was extremely limited.

Although technically solid, the loss of the Online mode and not enough improvements to the game in general makes this review hard to write, as it feels exactly like the old game. When buying a game, I don't expect to lose one of the biggest and most advertised features of the game, especially when it was in the the previous version. It feels like more was taken away than added.

I stick to my previous statement "If your like me, and looking for a offline city builder, just stick to what's out their at the moment".

60 DVD CD XBOX PS3 DISC STORAGE HOLDER HARD CASE
60 DVD CD XBOX PS3 DISC STORAGE HOLDER HARD CASE

5.0 out of 5 stars Doe's what it says on the tin, 26 Oct 2010
As said in the title, it does exactly what you would expect. The DVD/CD storage holder can hold 60 DVD's or CD's, and each part of the case can hold 2 DVD'S or CD's. (They disks face away from each other, two in each slot).

Great for someone with limited space, a must buy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 7:23 AM GMT

MK-933 Keyboard with stand by Gear4music
MK-933 Keyboard with stand by Gear4music

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit Disappointing, Good for Beginners, 26 Oct 2010
If your looking for a keyboard/piano that will sound great, this is not for you. The actual keyboard is of relatively good quality, but not of a high standard. The stand itself is rigid, although the back panel is quite flimsy and cheap. The headphones that come with the keyboard are cheap.

There are a few audio issues with this keyboard, most notable is the hissing issue if using the sustain pedal. I have tried plugging in external speakers, but the issue still remains.

If your looking for a cheap keyboard, then this may be a good product for you, although for a slightly higher price you can purchase a much better product. For those looking for a professional keyboard, stay clear.

Kinobo USB Gamepad / Joypad for PC XP/Vista/Windows 7 - Full Vibration Feedback
Kinobo USB Gamepad / Joypad for PC XP/Vista/Windows 7 - Full Vibration Feedback
Offered by Kinobo pro

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Dissapointing, 23 Oct 2010
This should be obvious to anyone who is buying this controller. The controller is made of very cheap plastic, and the buttons are very unresponsive, and in my case, three did not work. The buttons have a loose feeling to them, the analogue sticks are buggy and jump in the direction you want, but have no subtle responsiveness.

The start and select buttons are awful, requiring a major push until the button is completely inside the controller. The four shoulder buttons are also of poor build quality, sometimes requiring multiple pushes for a registered response. The force feedback does not seem to work, and I have tried this device on numerous titles and emulators.

In the end, I decided to create my own hybrid build of a real PS2 controller, and the inner workings of this controller (so it works on my pc), the only problem now is I have no controller for my PS2.

Avoid like the plague, spend a little more money and get a controller that actually works.

Page: 1 | 2