Profile for KeenReadingMum > Reviews

Content by KeenReadingMum

KeenReadingMum

The Magic Castle (The Adventures of Kai, Jacob and Jamie Book 1)
The Magic Castle (The Adventures of Kai, Jacob and Jamie Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug. 2014
The Magic Castle was beautiful capturing the imaginative fun adventures of 3 boys. Great for sharing.

Dream Seed Magic: A Journey Beyond My Imagination
Dream Seed Magic: A Journey Beyond My Imagination

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, engaging and thought provoking read., 10 April 2014
This book was a joy to read - I couldn't put it down such was it's easy going yet engaging tone. I felt as though the honesty and openness of the words spoke directly to me,despite having nothing in common with the authors life journey. Quite amazing how in a relatively short read it prompted me to consider my own true self and personal journey. Loved the quirky recipes and am really fascinated to learn how the next chapter unfolds.

The Fast Diet: The secret of intermittent fasting - lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition review, 21 Jan. 2013
I completely buy into the principle of the diet, the horizon programme and Michael Mosley. Whilst I love my kindle the downside is that you can't get a feel for the full content of a book. Had I been able to, I would have seen that there was very little substance to the book. From 52% all you get is calorie/GI tables and references and prior to that user quotes (several from Mumsnet!)

All in all a disappointing commercial money spinner pulled together hastily to meet New Year targets. Not a publication I would have thought anyone could be proud of.

But like I said the 5:2 principle seems a sound and practical one - watch the Horizon episode or research on the internet instead.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 9:52 PM GMT

The Boy in the Dress
The Boy in the Dress
by David Walliams

1.0 out of 5 stars Inappropriate for younger readers, 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Boy in the Dress (Paperback)
I am often guided by the Customer Review Section and to date they have always been for our family spot on.

However, we started to listen to the CD version of The boy in the dress today with my 8year old daughter and my 6 year old son and within just a few tracks I found myself quite concerned at the appropriateness of the story line. Remembering the reviews I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt so we contined on.

My daughter having already read and loved Mr Stink and the Billionaire Boy seemed to love it, however my son said it was making him feel 'embarassed and uncomfortable' and to the tell the truth I was also feeling a little cross with myself for jumping on the celebrity band wagon and worring about what David Walliams other books were like which my daughter had already read. Mostly in terms of content but to be honest also in terms of literary skill.

It may well have gone on to be an enjoyable read, (although it is certainly no classic) but I couldn't risk it.

Although I appreciate that I am in a minority I would suggest that this book is only appropriate for age 11+.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2012 12:10 PM BST