Profile for forfolksake > Reviews

Fancy Dress Hats | Mop Cap White
Fancy Dress Hats | Mop Cap White
Offered by One Click Wonder

1.0 out of 5 stars Adult size? Seriously???, 6 Dec 2013
As this clearly stated that the mop cap was an adult size, I ordered this to wear at a Victorian Christmas Fair (tomorrow).

It's, shall we say, rather different to the photograph of the item. I must confess I wasn't expecting anything of any great quality, and to that effect wasn't disappointed!!! However, I wasn't aware that there were many people inhabiting the planet with shrunken heads? The woman in the item photograph clearly must be in this minority... Either that, or, heaven forbid, the item I received isn't actually what is being advertised!?! If I can find out how to leave a picture review, I will...

If you are after a cheap and nasty mop cap for a 'Tiny Tears' sized doll, or maybe a (very small) new-born baby, then this is the item for you... I am not elaborating on the truth at all when I say that this barely fits comfortably over my hands (clenched together, praying that I hadn't ordered the ruddy thing!!!)

I shall be enquiring about sending this back, as I genuinely think I must have been sent the wrong item. And if it turns out that the cost of posting it back isn't worth it, then it shall have a brief incarnation as a cloth to clean the door of the log burner, before being given a ceremonial cremation!!!

Ho-ho-ho! ;)

Empire and Love
Empire and Love

5.0 out of 5 stars One heck of a tasty musical recipe, once again!, 12 Jan 2010
This review is from: Empire and Love (Audio CD)
I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of Empire And Love, and I can honestly say with hand on heart that I am not disappointed!

The debut album was an absolute stunner, and was my favourite album of 2007... Empire And Love has the potential to be headliner in my 2010 list by the end of this year too. There may not have been the initial WOW I got when I first heard Cold, Haily, Rainy Night and Tam Lyn Retold, but the amalgamation of the 'traditional' British folk with beautiful sitar, soulful cello, slightly trippy and beautifully subtle drumming and the fantastic (if not as prominent as you may expect) dhol and tabla is mesmeric. Plus... you can't go wrong with a Theramin! ; )

The vocals do not disappoint throughout. Martin is in fine fettle as always, with a superb acoustic version of a Slade classic (does anyone else remember Mr. Holder doing a version of this on 'The Grimleys'?) which has an air of fascinating dejection about it. Or that 'end of a VERY long jam session at the local pub' feel...

Chris Wood's voice is like warm honey, and the 1st version of Scarborough Fair (with vocals) is sublime... The daydream-like way the sitar initially carries the tune shows how traditional music and traditional instruments from EVERY corner of the planet can gel together so beautifully.

Eliza's vocals are fantastic! Sultry and powerful.

I know I've picked the obvious people out individually here, but, as you'd expect, the whole ensemble are incredibly talented performers.

Space Girl is my initial favourite (you MUST check out the wonderful animated video for this on youtube), but I love the way that each song has the ability to draw you into a different frame of mind, exploring a range of emotions with a tantalising mix of musical backgrounds. The vocal harmonies, the interweaving instruments... just superb!

Is it worth the 5 stars I have awarded it? At first listen, because of my affection for the first album, I may have given it 4 stars if I'd have reviewed it immediately, BUT, any album which makes you discover something new and enthralling each time you listen to it, changes subtly depending on the mood you are in when you listen AND has the ability to genuinely give you goosebumps at certain points on the album is most definitely worth the whole 5 stars in my mind.

I have to take up a couple of points made by another reviewer...

I don't happen to think the Scarborough Fair reprise is a wasted track at all. It's a beautiful piece of music in it's own right, and to hear it as a tastefully executed tune (without vocals) rather than some of the 'casio-keyboard, lift-musak' versions that I have heard has given me a new appreciation for the tune. It's also a very nice way to end an evening, with candle-light and a nice glass of wine.

Also... the comment about the first review being pre-album release and questioning if it was self advertising... I think that is a very dim view to take. We all know that promotional copies of albums (well, of EVERYTHING) get released to papers, magazines, radio stations, professional reviewers weeks before we are able to buy them... It's their job to do reviews, whether glowing or not, it's not their job to sing the praises of what they're reviewing. This reviewer was obviously in agreement with the superb reviews in many of the broad-sheets last weekend, which incidentally were all published before the album became available 'to the public'... Plus, we all also know how much stuff gets leaked before it's meant to! Just saying... Life's not all conspiracy theories! ; )
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2010 11:25 PM BST