Profile for Jill > Reviews

Content by Jill

Jill (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Grief Observed Readers' Edition: With contributions from Hilary Mantel, Jessica Martin, Jenna Bailey, Rowan Williams, Kate Saunders, Francis Spufford and Maureen Freely

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and helpful, 30 Jun. 2015
I have read this several times since purchasing it, and am sure I will read it again. It spoke to me powerfully as I grappled with sudden grief. The commentaries are also very helpful.

How to be a Productivity Ninja: Worry Less, Achieve More and Love What You Do
How to be a Productivity Ninja: Worry Less, Achieve More and Love What You Do

3.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start, maybe, 30 Jun. 2015
I think I have probably read too many of this type of book to get a lot out of it. However, it was sprightly and encouraging and quick and easy to read.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book - one of those rare experiences where ..., 22 Aug. 2014
I loved this book - one of those rare experiences where you really don't want to put it down for an instant, and have it open in one hand while dishing up dinner with the other, one eye on each.

That said, I'm not going to tell you anything else about it. I read it with no preconceptions and really think you will get the most from it that way, but don't let that put you off if you've read a few reviews that hint at some of the unexpected elements ("twists" isn't quite the right word).

Irène (Verhoeven Trilogy Book 1)
Irène (Verhoeven Trilogy Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disturbing, positively unpleasant to read. I read ..., 21 July 2014
Very disturbing, positively unpleasant to read. I read Alex aloud to my partner, and because of the alternating chapter structure was able to skim gratuitous detail, while homing in on more important aspects: and after the first 30% or so, it really became a fascinating book. Irene is simply nasty. I was unable to read beyond about 35%.

Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error: The Meaning of Error in an Age of Certainty

5.0 out of 5 stars A new area to consider, for me, 6 Jun. 2014
At least, a new area to consider in a sensible thoughtful way, which certainly beats worrying over my mistakes in a rather obsessive anxious way, those I have already made and those I am almost certainly making all the time. This is a fascinating book, and also oddly consoling.

Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion, 28 May 2014
I took this book to Paris and read it aloud to my partner there. It is full of unexpected stories and really very interesting. One or two chapters I found a bit heavy going (one in the form of a script) but probably I am missing references and other people wouldn't be puzzled.

The Magic Pudding (New York Review Children's Collection)
The Magic Pudding (New York Review Children's Collection)
by Norman Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 28 May 2014
Read this for the first time at 50, and found it to be splendidly bonkers childrens literature. I have now given a copy to my father, (which seems the wrong way round) and he also enjoyed it.

Dear Lupin...: Letters to a Wayward Son
Dear Lupin...: Letters to a Wayward Son

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 28 May 2014
I wanted to like this more, but I didn't much warm to the people in this family. If I hadn't read such great reviews I would have quite liked it, I think.

The Color Purple
The Color Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars I had no idea, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Color Purple (Kindle Edition)
I often avoid books that everyone else is reading, and somehow never snuck back round to read this one. Now I have, and it is not what I expected (never saw the film either). It took me a few pages to get my ear in, and then I just inhaled it.

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 28 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book, and wish that I had it next to me so that I could write an eloquent review. It is informative, witty and not at all a dry grammar book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4