Profile for Laura Hulland > Reviews

Content by Laura Hulland

Laura Hulland "Pern Fan" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

2.0 out of 5 stars ridiculous, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
My dad told me to read this book. I don't speak to him anymore. I give the first half of this book 10 stars. Brilliant concept, great characters, exciting pager turner. It really had me guessing. The second half p***ed me off so much that in vengeance I told all my friends and family to read this "great book" just so I'd have someone to talk/rant to as therapy about it. It was quite fun waiting for the text messages to roll in. I mean, what the HELL! I have no idea what author was thinking when she finished this book, I can only assume she just scribbled the ending to get to X Factor quicker. When I finished the book whilst sitting in the departure lounge at the airport, I actually thought my kindle had deleted the last chapter. I actually turned it over and looked at the back and at the floor to see if it had dropped out somehow.

In brief. It's got sooooo much potential, and has such a good beginning, it's really heartbreaking that the author chickened out at the end.

Styxx (Dark-Hunter World)
Styxx (Dark-Hunter World)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet!, 12 Sep 2013
I've been looking forward to Styxx for ages and was pleasantly surprised when it auto downloaded to my kindle whilst on hols as I had forgotten it was due out. First off I was confused as for a third of the book I had confused Stryker and Styxx and thought Styxx was the lead of the Daimons.....

Once I rectified my stupidity and realised what was going on I was blown away. Kindle told me I had 16 hours of reading to reach the end of the book but after 5 hours I only had 5 hours left to the end! THAT'S how good it is! I was reading twice as fast as normal because I literally couldn't put it down.

One reason being that the awful things which happened to the poor s*d made me want to get to a bit where something nice happened, but as I've read Acheron, I knew it was only going to get worse :(

Once home from hols I had GREAT fun by cross referencing with Acherons book and seeing how the scenes were written from Ash's perspective, it was great to see how Sheri explains it from both angles. For this aspect alone its almost unique.

Styxx book starts from their birth over 9000 BC and works all the way through to what we know of present day Dark Hunters and Ash. This and Acheron are the two best books in the series.

HOWEVER if you haven't read the others you will be more confused than a blind juggler on a roundabout. Read the rest of the books, they are all awesome. Well most are up until the last couple have been a bit meh!

ALSO if you haven't bothered with Chronicles of Nick because it's YA. Bury your prejudice and just read them. They are blooming fantastic. It fills in Nick's story and is a must to continue in Sheri's world. They're also bl**dy great. :)

All The Weyrs Of Pern (The Dragon Books)
All The Weyrs Of Pern (The Dragon Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning conclusion to 30 years of story telling, 13 April 2013
Simply put this book is a fantastic conclusion to Anne's Dragonriders of Pern story. The books after this one never quite meet the mark except perhaps Dragons Blood which is also pretty amazing.

Easy Access Black PU Leather Camera Case for Canon EOS 100D 550D 600D 650D,700D 1100D,1200D,70D 60D,50D,40D,7D,6D,5D,SX50,SX510 SX520, Nikon P520,P530,P600,D7100,D7000,D5300,D5200,D5100,D3100,D3200,D3300,D90,FUJI FinePix X-S1 S8600,S6800,HS50 HS30 SL1000,OLYMPUS E30,E3,E5,Pentax K5,K30,K50,K500,Panasonic FZ72 FZ62 FZ200, Sony H200 H300 H400 HX200 HX300 HX400, Alpha A58,A65,A77,A99 DSLR
Offered by BV-electronics

1.0 out of 5 stars hideous, 21 Dec 2012
I bought this for my dad for christmas. When it came I was literally horrified. Its cheap looking is squashed and mishapen and the leather is pleather. I compared it to my Hama Samsonite bag which I bought in 2009 for my Canon EOS SLR camera and immediately relised my error. This bag is not shaped like a camera. Its massive and just total rubbish. Has no pockets for extra items and is just cheap and nasty looking. I'm sending it back and recommend the Hama bag which is the new equivalent to my bag and you can get in other designs and colours. Hama 110 Colt Olbia Camera Bag - Black, And its the same price.

Wilma Garcia Optica Luxury Satin Corset and Matching G-String Set
Wilma Garcia Optica Luxury Satin Corset and Matching G-String Set
Offered by strawberrygum-outlet-store

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm, 18 Sep 2012
this is lovely well made corset. It laces up the back but there is a zip up the side. I have returned mine because i didnt like the lace. You can't see in the picture but its pink satin with black and PURPLE lace. Also the suspenders are just plain un frilled black, not the pretty pink lace ones in the picture. If fact the more I look at the picture, the less it looks like what I got in the post today. The vile purple makes it look tacky in my opinion and I would not have ordered it if I had seen this. Also it says it comes small in another review so because I have a 34D bust 27inch waist and 38 hips I ordered the XL (14) It was so big i could put it on without undoing it!! I would say that if you are honest about your size go for your actual size. the laces will give you quite a few inches if you go a size smaller. I'm going to order the 10 instead! Hope this helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2012 12:25 PM GMT

Casio Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Gold Stainless Steel Strap A168WG-9EF

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap tat, 3 Sep 2012
I bought this for my daughter for her birthday. I was horrified by the quality. I had a Casio in the 80s and they were cheap but solid. This is light and tinny. It feels like brushed aluminium. I'm not convinced its not a fake to be honest. I am going to check in H Samuel at the weekend because if this turns out to be fake, it will be coming straight back. I'm not kidding it must cost £2.00 to make. Ive been sold better watches by beach salesmen in Tunisia!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2012 6:31 PM GMT

Blue Banana - Printed Corset Style Stretchy Top
Blue Banana - Printed Corset Style Stretchy Top
Offered by Blue Banana

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, 1 Mar 2012
as always Blue Banana did not let me down. The packaging of gold tissue paper and a lolly pop always make me smile. the material is a stretchy silk and is nice and heavy. looks like in the picture and i am off to buy it in another colour :)

Bosch TWK8633 Styline Collection  1.5 Litre Cordless Jug Kettle, Black
Bosch TWK8633 Styline Collection 1.5 Litre Cordless Jug Kettle, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Louder the a speeding freight train!!, 14 Nov 2011
Awful kettle. Taking mine back to Argos tomorrow. the reheat button doesnt come on until i repeatedly press it. It so loud that I cant hold a conversation while its boiling and there is no light inside which even the cheapest kettles have these days. Don't waste your money complete rip off. I'm off to buy a Breville like my beloved old one which died the other week. Oh, on the plus side it didnt leak. Yay

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 10 Jun 2011
This is a lovely cardigan, my only complaint is that it came small and then shrank in the wash, but that could be my washing technique. The cardi is excellent quality and it doesnt feel cheap. I would recommend it.

Beauty-Boxes St Tropez Lilac Cosmetics and Make-up Beauty Case
Beauty-Boxes St Tropez Lilac Cosmetics and Make-up Beauty Case

5.0 out of 5 stars finally my make up is safe from teenage daughter tea leaves, 10 Jun 2011
This is a lovely case. Its big. I mean seriously big. Its about a foot high by nearly a foot wide. I had a massive basket of makeup and couldnt find anything and my teenage daughters constantly nicking my expensive make up and not putting it back.

I bought this, lock it every morning and my make up is safe! My eldest actually said "Why do you lock your make up away Mum?" I said, " so that you cant nick it" she looked crest fallen and casually declared that she didnt like it as it had an un pickable lock! she had tried to pick it with a hairgrip!!

Anyway, my makeup is in the box, and its got loads of room left. Its all organised, I can find everything straight away. The mechanism when you open it is smooth and good quality. I have tried others in Boots and they are rickety and cheap feeling. This feels like a professional make up case. Highly recomend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6