Profile for Penny Dixon > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Champions
Champions

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper proper good, 13 Nov 2014
This review is from: Champions (Audio CD)
Math rock? I would say ok, it is, but not really. It has odd time signatures in that they deviate from your standard 4's and 2's but many of them do actual add up to 8 beats in a bar, they just get there differently.

It's not needlessly complicated either, they've carved out a genre all their own, matched only by bands like Meet Me in St Louis, Oceansize and Amplifier. Energetic, gritty (in places) and an absolute drummers delight!

I had never heard of these chaps before I bought this album, and I'm so glad I did. It very quickly became one of my top 10 albums ever, I listen to them daily. It's a proper shame we'll see nothing more of them. I suppose it makes this album even more special.

GreatShield Guardian S Series Slim-Fit S-Line Design TPU Case for HTC One (2013 Model) / HTC M7 (Red)
Offered by theWireless USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cover, 4 Aug 2014
Great cover, fits well looks great and really awesome price. There's a slight shift where the power button and charge socket are, but it's really not noticeable with daily use. Would be spot on perfect if it included screen protectors too, but for the price you really can't complain.

Racecar Is Racecar Backwards
Racecar Is Racecar Backwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Romper Stomper, 31 July 2014
From start to finish this album represent the best that alternative has to offer. It makes me incredibly sad that they will not release any more material. Jamie Lenmans gravelly voice and the pure brilliance of the rhythm section gives me blisters every single time I play along to this album (drums). It's an absolute romper stomper.

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
Offered by MyMemory

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the Hype, 14 Nov 2013
These headphone are tinny sounding.

The bass is certainly impressive, the 10mm driver definitely does it's job, but alllll other frequencies suffer as a result. Listening to the pristine production quality of 3 of my favourite albums on these headphones - Porcupine Tree (In Absentia), Karnivool (Sound Awake) and Tool (Laturalus) - was a highly disappointing experience. I had to crank up the high treble frequencies just to get the sound anywhere near to what the albums actually sound like, and even then the sound was hollow. The bass is just too omnipresent.

I'm not an audiophile by any standard, but I do love music and what my music collection to sound as it actually does. Android's PowerAmp is a great music player, but these headphones are just too extreme.

They look awesome though. Love the red cable, and they look durable...not counting the huge buds and incredibly plasticy plastic they've used for them.

...Check out Soundmagic's PL30's, which I had for a year. They were amazing.

SoundMAGIC PL30 Earphones - Black

Big Swing Face
Big Swing Face

5.0 out of 5 stars Buddyful, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Big Swing Face (Audio CD)
I was bought this album in an old Cd/Dvd shop down a fashionable Glasgow West end alleyway, on one of my first trips to the city. The whole experience of finding such a gem in amongst so much clutter shouldn't really add to my high opinion of this record, but I'm a romantic. So it does.

But looking at the album purely for what it is.

Astounding. If only modern day musicians took such pride in their work. I speak generally of the mainstream charts of course and I'm in band myself. But just how tight these guys were back then boggles the mind. This is a live recording yet the clapping and cheers from the audience may aswell be canned and added post-recording cos the mix is perfect. The setlist is fantastic, and you really feel like you're being allowed a gimplse into one of the most spectacular music events ever. Its makes me want to smoke a cigerette and drink a JD. On the rocks. of course.

Buddy Rich was such a born leader, that when he sat at the kit the big band could do nothing except wait for Mr Rich to lead the way. Pounding jazz beats, cutting pronounced snare hits, amazingly fast playing, smooth and loud yet delicate and most of all Big and Brash! This album stirred something primeval in me and as a first venture into the rich world of Jazz is loaded with energetic and swinging songs, which as a drummer I adore. But as a music lover I list as one of my top 10 albums ever.

I also Recommned "Mercy, Mercy" but for the beginner, start here and hold onto your 1940's tophat

Tissot Gents Watch PRC 200 Chronograph Quartz T17152652
Tissot Gents Watch PRC 200 Chronograph Quartz T17152652

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and classy, 27 April 2010
After scoping the market and sighing at the price of every swiss quartz I came across. I happened upon Tissot. And then i decided on this watch as a engagement present. It really is lovely, and comes in a sturdy and expensive looking case.

But who are Tissot. why hadn't i heard about them? And in a makret where there are sooo many fakes surely i should stay away from a no-namer? Well Tissot have been around for *looks at watch face* a long time. Since 1853. And you'll find if you look on watch websites that Tissot sits quite merrily along side Tag Heuer and Omega. Well Not as high as Omega, but close enough!

I hearitly recommend this watch. Its very classy looking and whatsmore literally goes with ever possible outfit. Making the man look just that little sharper.

About the the harsh crit about the strap...Ignore it. If you have more than 3 braincells you'll suss it out. Althought it is quite narrow for a mans watch, So it might be worth looking around to buy a slightly manlier one in the future (made from from the hides of innocent woodland creatures or with fire stripes on it perhaps!;)

If These Trees Could Talk
If These Trees Could Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars A force unyet tapped, 5 Mar 2010
I bought this on a reccomendation on another website whilst purchasing Russian Circles album Enter.

All I can say, As much as I love Russian Circle these guys are much much MUCH better. It kinda feels like they have a better understanding of the genre of music they are writing, and as such write better songs than Russian circles.

But saying that, I am a fan of metal. Through and through - So sometimes i find the usual Post-Rock a little bland a boring. If trees Could Talk offers up that missing ingredient of umph and power. The drummer is fantastic, an absolute genius actually. And the melodies that dance around him move from subtle beauty to raw power, with much help from distorted guitars, with glassy overlays too (for the hardcorian post rock fans)

I love this album. and am now an avid follower. These guys should be huge. The fact that they arnt i think kinda adds to novelty of them which is sad but true all the same.

If you're a fan of post rock buy this. u may find yourself straying to the metal section afterwards though. Just to see what other wonderous possibilites could perhaps be lurking underneath ;)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Hosoda

4.0 out of 5 stars Sneaking in the side door of amazing, 15 Dec 2009
I watched this as it came as an "other users bought this" DVD. And I'm glad i got it, its very very good, but it feels more like an experiment in animation, art and storytelling than a stand alone movie. To put it better, it doesnt stand up beside spirited away or Howls moving Castle, or Princess Mononoke in terms of epicness and grandeur - but its pretty damn good. The animation focuses alot more on form rather than the grandness their other films but for some reason it works, less is more definetly applies for The Girl who Leapt through Time.

Actually the fact that it isnt such a huge succcess as the rest of Studio Ghibli's franchise acually helps it. It becomes more than you expect and the characters all have that same familiarity, in that by the end of the film, you feel like you know them...not that it was in any way boring or predictable. The story as well is beautifully written and really enjoyable.

The English dubbed version is a bit meh...but I like watching movies, not reading them!

Group Sounds
Group Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive, 2 Dec 2009
This review is from: Group Sounds (Audio CD)
I bought this album having never heard RFTC before. I thought it looked like a good album, and it was the import version so had two discs stuffed full of friggin amazing tunes. I put it on and thought "christ, why am i only hearing this now". It's simply awesome. So punky and energetic, There will be some that each individual will prefer to others, simply as there so many colours and "sounds" "grouped" in this collection. Carne Voodoo is so simply balls to wall honest and proud.

This album proved a great way to be introduced to these guys.

Feed To Feed Box Set
Feed To Feed Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderous, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Feed To Feed Box Set (DVD)
Not to sound like very other fan boy, this Boxset is truly delicious. Oceansize dont really speak too much in the performance but they never really where that type of band. All of what they are comes through how and what they play. And these performances are spectacular.

The dvd itself looks beautiful, sleak and black, I would liken its quality to that of Salival by Tool. Better than that is that there is no stinking VHS, instead offering 3 DVD's and 4 audio cd's of the perfomances, which includes the 3 albums and the Encores from the Music for a Nurse EP (although personally I would have liked to have seen some B-sides (I.B.O.W/Superflouous to Requirements/Breed Siamese/Red Rag to a Bear) on there) And that theres 10 times more music than Tools offering.

It features Vorhees on the Frames album which is one my faves and the first song i checked for in the playlist (after looking for b-sides of course!) Biffy are somewhat precious about their b-sides too. Perhaps both bands feel them to be of lesser quality than the album material, something I can honestly say is not true. In the slightest.

I heartingly reccommend this boxset. It'll be 1 of 5000 ever made and something you will treasure for a long, long time. Just be sure to not leave it too long. :)

Page: 1 | 2