Profile for ISSean > Reviews

ISSean "ISSean"

WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 4 TB
WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage NAS - 4 TB

4.0 out of 5 stars Set up help in this review, 21 April 2014
I've dropped the one star because I feel WD are over-selling the ease of use and plug n play features.

While the plug and play does work it is unstable and slow at time of writing. If they manage to get it working well then it looks like a good idea for those less inclined to spend hours setting up!

If you have no idea what a 'port forward' is or if 'FTP' means nothing to you then this may not be what you are looking for and in this case an online service such as google drive or amazon cloud storage would be a less hair pulling experience.

I've now got stable storage and access but I do not use the bundled software. The phone apps are ok for light use but it is easier to ftp.

If you do use the bundled software and have it plug and play then when outside your home network it uses what is called a relay service via WD servers, this relies them working to have a connection and does seem to slow things up even when working. Within your own network your router assigns an IP automatically and the desktop software is used to move things about. I've found this to be unreliable, the drive disappears off the network and the software occasionally crashes. The desktop software also seems to slow down direct transfers.

So ditch all that.

What I have done is:

Assign an IP address in the router to the cloud (I do this for all my devices anyway).
Set WD Cloud Drive to use a static IP (this means it always has that address assigned by the router)
Forwarded http and https ports manually.
Mapped the appropriate drive folders on each machine so we don't need to use desktop software - just drag drop/copy paste etc (this is a lot easier than it sounds - basically a mapped drive is a shortcut to a folder on the network)

For access from outside your home network, FTP works well. Activate FTP in the cloud admin console and forward the FTP ports on your router. You may wish to use an FTP client. I use this in the browser address: ftp://username:password@WAN.IP.Address <this is NOT the address assigned by the router, it is the address assigned by your ISP to you. This can change if you do not have a static IP.

By doing all these things performance seems to be much much faster and there is no software to crash.
The drive is always there and does not "drop off" the network.

The 'backup' software "smartware" doesn't seem so smart. I found it better to just set up a 'backup to network' schedule command in windows back up.

Other than the software issues (which may resolve in time) the hardware is nice looking, quite and doesn't seem to get hot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 11:25 AM BST

Philips FWM6000/10 Mini System with 3 Disc CD changer
Philips FWM6000/10 Mini System with 3 Disc CD changer

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money at £150, 7 Feb. 2014
I bought this to replace my tired old weedy workshop stereo and price v performance was a big factor in my choice. I use it to amplify a portable dab/internet radio (I find built in dab radios struggle for reception so having a mobile dab radio can help where I am).

This unit is as loud as it claims, probably too loud for most applications but this means at modest volumes it copes well and fills a large space easily. Sound quality wise it would be easy to criticise; it sounds a little harsh to me but it is very clear and powerful, not warm and easy to listen to like a good home system but it must be remembered that it costs £150 (from Amazon) and on that basis I am being a little picky to find fault on the sound quality. A bit of fiddling with the options and I've got it sounding pretty good with maxx sound off; too much bass for me.

So based on £150 I'd give it 5/5 but there are 2 things that move it down to 4.

1: It's ugly, very very ugly - but some may like it - not a concern for me where it is located
2: The speaker wires are bespoke items with special plugs and not long enough for me - I had to splice in some wire to extend them.
3: The remote is rubbish, but I don't need it anyway

At full rrp of £270 I'd be spending money on Pioneer or Denon etc but for a workshop/garage/large space it's ideal.

For a bedroom I think it's a little on the large side - it's quite a substantial unit. Phillips website has all the measurements to check before purchase if concerned.

If you want a very cheap & very loud system and don't mind about the size and looks, you would be happy with this.

NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Piccolo by Krups KP100040 Coffee Machine, 15 Bar Pressure Pump - Black
Offered by A bag is a part of your Looks

1.0 out of 5 stars No good, 13 Mar. 2013
Having had an original machine since 2009 it was getting tired so decided to replace it with a smaller & neater machine.
Should not have bothered. Worked for 1 day, now won't heat water or work the pump.
When it did work it vibrated so much the cup nearly slid off the plastic base.
That's another point, previously metal parts have been replaced with plastic.
Going back for refund. Glad not many pods to get rid of.

BBC Media Player
BBC Media Player

5.0 out of 5 stars works on fire hd 32, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: BBC Media Player (App)
after reading reviews it doesn't work i was concerned. however seems to work fine on my fire hd 32. install go back to iplayer and run.

Netgear DGND3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Gateway
Netgear DGND3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Gateway
Offered by Trusted-Goods

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Sept. 2010
To answer a few problems listed below.

You can't connect 2.4ghz N receivers if you leave the router set ot 5ghz for N!

If you only have 2.4 Ghz N receivers you do NOT need to buy this router anyway.

However if you have you can knock the N side of it down to 2.4ghz as well.

Suggest naming your 2 SSID as G and N so you know which one you're looking at and use WPA/2 PSK Mixed security.

The blue flashing light can be turned off by pressing the button for 2 seconds. It is annoying in dim light.

The firware updates itself if you so choose - no need to do anything just check the box that says check for firmware at log in.

The USB Share works brilliantly - even from remote PC's over the internet.

Wirless printing is a doddle provided you set your printer up properly.

Has a handy bandwidth monitor so you can get a warning when you get close to your download limits.

If you're at the end of a long noisy line far from the exchange then you may wish to use a DG834 as these are well proven to be stable on a bad line. I think this one may be more sensitive. It dropped for me a few times on the first 2 days but has now re-trained and been stable with no drops.

People you need to be patient and allow the exchange and router get used to each other 3-10 days.

A few people also need to R.T.M.

Only downside which applies to all Netgear routers is the Telnet ports are locked unless you set debug mode via the browser.

This Router is blisteringly fast on 5Ghz giving me 245Mbps across the house and bwtween floors.

5 out 5
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2013 6:29 PM GMT

Harman Kardon Soundsticks II - 3-Piece Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System
Harman Kardon Soundsticks II - 3-Piece Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing, 10 Sept. 2004
The first thing you notice about these speakers when removing from the box is the feeling of weight and quality. As they are transparent, even the insides have to be very neat and well put together. Set up is a doddle, plug the sub into the PC and the satellites into the sub. The cables are all quite thick and seem to be better quality than the average bell-wire you normally find with PC stuff.
The sub has its own volume control (a turn dial) and the speakers have fancy touch sensitive buttons. There is no on/off switch; they stay on the whole time with the sub giving off a lovely pale blue glow at night.
Playing MP3's over the speakers they sound very punchy and lively, much better than anything else I have had. I bought these speakers after becoming tired of replacing burnt out cheap and even not-so-cheap ones from other well known brands and I am very glad I did. They look as good as they sound!
There is no headphone socket but this is not an issue for me. the touch buttons, although very cool can catch you out as there is no visual reference of where the sound is as you power up so remember to have your finger on the 'volume down' button late at night just in case.
Don't buy ugly black or beige speakers, buy these or the surround sound equivalent from Harman / Kardon...............they are in a different league to anything else I have heard.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 10:15 AM GMT