Profile for Loobie Loo > Reviews

Content by Loobie Loo

Loobie Loo (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
J Pillow Travel Pillow - British Invention of the Year 2013 - (Navy)
J Pillow Travel Pillow - British Invention of the Year 2013 - (Navy)
Offered by Jensen's Inventions

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually comfortable!, 4 Aug. 2015
Great idea. Bought for my daughter who had a school trip with a long bus journey ahead of her. Really cosy and comfy and she gave it the thumbs up as did her history teacher who had one as well. Can be machine washed and has a handy little tag for fixing it to your case. Would buy more.

Make-Your-Own Christmas Decorations Book
Make-Your-Own Christmas Decorations Book
by Cath Kidston
Edition: Stationery

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on your expectations....., 11 Nov. 2012
I have purchased two previous Cath Kidston craft books (Sew and Stitch). I have to say I really like them both. 'Make Your Own Christmas Decorations' was another matter. I will give you two opinions on it. Mine, which was that I was very disappointed with the designs in the book. There are twelve designs ranging from a Xmas tree, pudding, Santa and Angel to a little Stanley and a tiny cottage. There was very little special and certainly nothing that if you sat down and looked through other craft books wouldn't appear over and over again. The felt supplied was poor quality and oddly had no white included. Cream was there in it's place and was no substitute for snow or Santa's beard. Tiny pom poms, some embroidery thread and string to hang were included. Some Christmas ribbon wouldn't have gone amiss. I decided to send it back and left it on the dining room table to return. Then my eleven year old daughter spotted it and asked if she could have it. She ended up doing some of the little projects in it and was delighted with the results. She used trimming from my sewing box and actually improved the decorations offered with the addition of different felt, ribbon and buttons.

So from my point of view I found it disappointing and would give it two stars. I'm glad I didn't pay full price. My daughter, on the other hand, loved it and gave it five.

I think I would purchase it for a child who liked to sew little projects but experienced crafters may feel let down.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 3:20 PM BST

Kipling Women's New Candy Handbags
Kipling Women's New Candy Handbags

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday bag....., 18 April 2012
I shopped carefully before buying this bag. I read the reviews on Amazon and finally chose the Candy to take on my holiday to Florida this year. I am not disappointed. I wanted a small bag that could carry lots and this did. I also wanted something fairly light as lugging a suitcase sized bag around theme parks in 90 degree heat is torture. I got this half the RRP from Amazon and it is very good value.

Made of hard wearing nylon it as withstood two weeks constant abuse as we trekked half way round Orlando's theme parks. It has enough pockets to keep everything organised. In the small front pocket I kept tablets and plasters. In the second pocket which is a good size I stored my credit cards (the pocket has slots for them) and my park tickets. There was also room for my phone and two pairs of sunglasses in their cases. In the third pocket I carried a fold up sun hat, small bottle of water, bottle of sun lotion, another pair of glasses and a small packet of wipes. The little back pocket is where I kept my cash. I still had room to put small purchases and park maps in it too. The zippers easily withstood the constant opening and closing and although it is a little grubby now I reckon if I wash it at a 30 it will come up like new.

I didn't use it as a ruck sack but as a cross the body bag as I found it easier to access this way.

I am glad I bought the matching Erasto as cabin luggage as I believe both bags will last for years.

HAMSTER CAGE NEON STAX 2 APARTMENT GERBIL MOUSE RODENT IN BLUE
HAMSTER CAGE NEON STAX 2 APARTMENT GERBIL MOUSE RODENT IN BLUE
Offered by Posh Pets

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for a syrian., 9 Mar. 2012
To look at this cage it appears great however it is not for a Syrian hamster at all. It was boxed when I bought it and is smaller than I imagined. I am not impressed because of the following:

It is too small floor space wise.
The nozzle of the bottle which fits through a hole in the roof sits far too low to be comfortable for drinking. We had to affix a traditional bottle to the downstairs bars.
The wheel is ridiculously small, we just managed to replace it with an 8" wheel with virtually no clearance for it.
It is a pain to clean, the full cage has to be completely dismantled in order to clean it properly and that is where the fun really starts. It is a complete nightmare to unfasten the plastic clips that hold the levels together, so much so, I have already broken a clip, and now the actual plastic notch on the cage wall which you press the clip onto has broken off as the plastic is very brittle. The little pod on the side has broken and is now taped together.

We have had the cage for 3 months and our hamster has quickly grown out of it. Have decided to go back to a standard Savic cage as they are generously sized and less claustrophobic.

Now awaiting delivery of Frosty's new abode.

Russell Hobbs 14733 Steamglide Professional Iron  Steam Tip
Russell Hobbs 14733 Steamglide Professional Iron Steam Tip

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great at all......, 20 Feb. 2012
I bought this as a second iron as my Tefal was on it's way out after dropping it. It was half price in a sale and I am glad I did not pay anymore. As irons go it is probably the worst I have had and I have had a few now. The main problems were as follows:

The cord is too short.
The sole plate is a nightmare. It doesn't 'glide' at all. It sticks to clothes and is constantly covered in brown burnt bits which are a nightmare to get off. You may say 'turn back the temperature then' but it makes no odds, it still singes things at times and no amount of cleaning helps.
The steam production is awful. It only produces steam when the tank is completely full, get to half full and it stops.
It drips.

Finally after getting sorely sick of it I decided to cut my losses and go back to Tefal again. Thank goodness!

Kipling Women's Ithu Shoulder Bag
Kipling Women's Ithu Shoulder Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag at a great price..., 13 Jan. 2012
Got this bag in Ash Grey to replace my tatty everyday bag. I already have two Kipling Bags (Candy and Erasto) and when I saw the discount price on Amazon couldn't believe my luck. It has an adjustable strap and is just the right size for carrying all my everyday stuff (purse, phone, inhaler) and the usual paraphenalia that I drag around with me. It has a phone and Ipod pocket, pen pockets and a zipped pocket inside the main zipped area of the bag. There are also two velcro fastened pockets on the front. I really like this bag and at the price I paid it was a bargain. It is light weight and hard wearing. I would however say that the full price may have been a bridge too far...

I also checked the stitching on the zips and mine are very securely sewn. I know another reviewer had an issue with theirs but mines are fine.

A good sized bag for everyday use.

Baby Alive Nappies Accessory Pack
Baby Alive Nappies Accessory Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money., 17 Aug. 2011
Pack of six very expensive nappies for Baby Alive. Don't last anytime at all with the amount of peeing she does! Pricewise you would be cheaper buying a pack of Pampers or Huggies newborns as you would get more nappies for your money.

Doctor Who the Tardis Mini Construction Playset
Doctor Who the Tardis Mini Construction Playset

2.0 out of 5 stars Wont stand up to the rough stuff!, 10 Aug. 2011
My six year old boy bought this with his holiday money. The tardis comes with two mini figures. No 11 Doctor (with sonic screwdriver) and Amy Pond which are quite cute and which he probably got more fun out of than the Tardis. The tardis itself is a bit of a nightmare to build, not because the instructions are hard to follow but because it is so fiddly. It comes in little lego style pieces which are built from lego style instructions but the tardis itself is so small that putting on the doors was a challenge in itself, even with my small fingers. The doors are attached to the main surround by tiny pegs which were so fragile I nearly broke them off when helping my son build it. You also get a sheet of stickers with window panes etc to decorate it. It is a real shame it is so fragile as it is very cute but really would look better on a shelf.

It was a real shame as he cant really play properly with it without if falling to bits. That said if you just want to build it to admire it and not keep trying to put the figures inside it then it will look great on display somewhere. If you are looking for a fun tardis to play with then this is not it, but the 10th Doctors Flight Control Tardis is a good bet. We got a second hand one off Ebay for less than the cost of lego style one reviewed and my son loves that.

Love Actually [DVD] [2003]
Love Actually [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Actually is actually good, 16 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Love Actually [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I love this film and I am not usually the soppy type but no matter how many times I watch it still makes me feel good.

Love Actually covers the tales of eight couples. Unrequited love, lost love, new love, first love, free love and the love between families and friends are all covered. The couples are all interlinked in some way, they may work with each other or be relatives or friends, sometimes they are merely in the same scene but not aquainted. At times incredibly moving, at times very funny, the story has you rooting for the characters and sometimes cringing with frustration at what happens.

Set in the run up to Christmas, the cast are fantastic, Colin Firth (as a cheated on husband), Liam Neeson(as a bereaved father struggling to comfort his son), Emma Thompson (as a let down wife) and Hugh Grant as the British Prime minister (but playing himself as usual). All ably supported by Alan Rickman, Laura Linney (who's story is my favorite), Gregor Fisher and Bill Nighy (as a clapped out old Rockstar). There are also appearances by Martin Freeman, Keira Knightly, Rowan Atkinson, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Andrew Lincoln to name a few. The film moves between characters covering the circumstances of their situations and telling the individual stories of their relationships.

This is not going to be a film that will suit all tastes but I loved it. It's easy to watch, the soundtrack is amazing (I can never listen the The Beach Boys 'God Only Knows' without a tear now) and the feelgood factor is high.

The Web (Alex Delaware)
The Web (Alex Delaware)
by Jonathan Kellerman

4.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of thriller, 13 Feb. 2011
This is the first book by Jonathan Kellerman I have read. I very much enjoyed it but it wasn't until afterwards I found out that there are many books in the 'Alex Delaware' series. 'The Web' lies about half way through and having read other reviews appears to deviate from the regular setting of California.

The book starts with Alex (a psychologist) and his partner Robin Castagna arriving on the small Micronesian Island of Aruk. It is to be a working holiday for Alex, who has been contacted by the ageing Dr William Moreland, requesting that he catalogue the records the doctor has kept over the many years he has lived and worked there. The couple are invited to stay on his comfortable estate while Alex is working, but the seemingly paradise island and Dr Moreland are not all they seem. A brutal murder and some menacing characters add to the plot leaving the couple keen to leave as soon as possible.

This book is very cleverly written mainly because the author captures the relaxing atmosphere of the setting well (though some may consider the book slow because of this) but also manages to gradually build up a sense of menace to a very surprising ending.

I enjoyed the book and liked the characters enough to now be looking for the first in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6