Profile for passionate person > Reviews

Content by passionate person

passionate person "Kath aRe" (Lancashire England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Bone Clocks
The Bone Clocks
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book by DM!, 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Bone Clocks (Paperback)
After reading the reviews I was worried I wouldn't enjoy this book as much as Cloud Atlas or Jacob de Zoet - however I loved every bit of it! Some people had given up on it or hated the last chapter, for me I thought it rounded the story off perfectly and as a possible future found it entirely believable. I really enjoy how David Mitchell constructed this book - similar to Cloud Atlas - but he does the A-Z story equally well and shouldn't be berated for repeating a style, because it works!

Sloe Gin and Beeswax
Sloe Gin and Beeswax
by Jane Newdick

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my TOP 10 favorite books!, 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Sloe Gin and Beeswax (Hardcover)
I bought this book back in the early 1990's and have loved it ever since! The photography is lovely and hasn't dated that much, the ancient tips are wonderful, and the recipes are great, the book is divided between the seasons with hints tips and recipes to use seasonal goods - not just food recipes but things like furniture polish, simple remedies and hand creams. It is one of the few such books that I have returned too over and over - the cake to last a year has been the recipe for my Christmas cakes for the past 20 years, one year I actually made it in January and fed it brandy every week for a whole year! My sister in law has taken over the family allotment now, so this Christmas I managed to get hold of a second hand copy for her - I hope it inspires her as much!

Blue Badge Holder Wallet Fits New Permit Hologram Safe
Blue Badge Holder Wallet Fits New Permit Hologram Safe

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a gift for my mum - she is ..., 3 Mar. 2015
This was a gift for my mum - she is thrilled to bits with it - lovely design, fits new badge and hologram, well made.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars good product., 3 Mar. 2015
A clever idea, phone hasn't slipped out of it, its stylish and slim, keeps my phone safe in my pocket or bag, and the tab that pulls up is made of strong webbing so shouldn't break or stretch. Really pleased with it!

From the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Melendez
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars The original BRITISH version!, 18 Jan. 2015
For me this is the only interpretation of the book worth watching, my mother videoed it on Christmas day 1980 and my brother and I eventually wore it out - after years of searching for it on DVD only to be massively disappointed with many of the voices being swapped for American ones, almost gave up on ever watching it again until I found this - Arthur Lowe and June Whitfield are Mr and Mrs Beaver, Leo Mckern is the professor, Sheila Hancock is Jadis, and Leslie Philips is faun tumnus - as it should be! The animation may look a bit dated, but the score is epic, and it sticks so well to the book - it certainly made a good Christmas even better this year as I revelled in nostalgia!

Lino Brayer Roller 150mm / 6 inches
Lino Brayer Roller 150mm / 6 inches
Offered by Creation Box

5.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 24 July 2014
Solidly made, good roller perfect for printing and less than a third of the price of the same model found in a certain large chain of hobby and craft stores.

The Left-Handed Embroiderer's Companion
The Left-Handed Embroiderer's Companion
by Yvette Stanton

5.0 out of 5 stars it all makes sense now!, 1 Nov. 2013
I am a self taught embroiderer of about 30 years, I have struggled with instructions for as long as I can remember, thinking it was the step by step instruction illustrations that were bad - never attributing my difficulty to the fact I was trying to follow them as a left hander. I have old books, new books, all kinds! I have recently embarked on a contemporary textiles degree, so came across this book while browsing, and would not have bought it, but after reading the reviews on Amazon decided it might be a good idea to take a look. From the second I opened it (er...perhaps it could have been printed back to front to complete the ease of use!) I have fallen in love with it! As I looked at the instructions and illustrations it all became clear, almost like a veil being lifted! Loads of stitches I have never heard of - and the instructions are easy to follow. I have worked my way through quite a lot of the stitches now, and even mastered shisha mirrors. My favorite bit has to be the 'Right Handed' instructions at the end of each stitch (as us left handers have had to put up with in the past) 'For Right Handers, just work the stitch in reverse" - Brilliant! I can see this book being very well used in the future.

Navitech Purple Leather Bycast Flip Carry Case For The Kobo Touch eReader (As sold by WHSmith)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product and price, 6 Jun. 2013
this was the cheapest kobo cover I could find, it is exactly the same as ones sold at WH Smith for one seventh the price! all the buttons are still easily accessible, and the machine is very safe and secure from drops etc. the seller was also excellent - product received within 48 hours!

Sovereign (The Shardlake Series)
Sovereign (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars another gripping tale, 6 Sept. 2012
I couldn't wait to start this after reading the first two, starting immediately after Dark Fire - and I was not disappointed. Mostly set in York and northern rural setting it gave a wonderful feel for parts of the country other than London. The historic accuracy was brilliant in making me research more facts about the tutor times, and the story itself was completely gripping - some of the attempts on Sharlakes life may have been a little convoluted, but I just didn't care, and knowing there were at least two more books to come where he is alive just wants you to find out how he gets out anther fine mess!
I couldn't wait to finish, and dreaded getting to the end at the same time. I ordered the next two books in the series as I knew I would have to read them straight after and almost panicked when they had not arrived in time - I have been Shardlakeless for two nights, but the 4th and 5th books arrived this morning. Phew!

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Another DM epic masterpiece., 26 April 2012
Wow. I have just finished this book, and like all of DM's books it is an epic masterpiece.
He manages to write in such away that I feel like you are protected in a bubble of serenity no mater what is taking place in the story. His language is poetic, insightful, funny, passionate, and the story carries you along from place to place in such a subtly disjointed way it sometimes makes you gasp at the turn of events, leaving you stunned.
I didn't believe DM could have written anything on a par with Cloud Atlas, but he has. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet is every bit as good - and whatever I choose to read next will have to be something pretty amazing and special after this.
As with all his books, you are desperate to get to the end but don't want the story to ever finish. Bliss.

Page: 1 | 2