Profile for Gail Thompson > Reviews

Content by Gail Thompson

Gail Thompson

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Broken Beasts (Xoe Meyers Young Adult Fantasy/Horror Series Book 3)
Broken Beasts (Xoe Meyers Young Adult Fantasy/Horror Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars gaining momentum, 12 Sep 2014
The story really hots up in this book. All the characters are still there but the danger mounts, and the bigger players are all drawn in. I was caught up right till the end of the book, and I am now waiting for the next one to released.

Mindspeak
Mindspeak

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Mindspeak (Kindle Edition)
An unusual concept and one that I hadn't come across before in this particular format. It was a little slow at first but really built up. I enjoyed reading this book and wanted to see what became of the characters at the end of the story. As soon as I finished reading this book, I bought the second one.

Wolf Tide
Wolf Tide

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to read more!, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Wolf Tide (Kindle Edition)
This book was great find. I especially liked the feisty female protagonist and the fast paced narrative. The characters were well rounded and there were plenty of twists and turns. The world that Catherine Fox has created was also very original and well thought out. There were limits to characters abilities, how magic worked, and also plenty of cultural and political history. This was explored via the action and through the characters rather than a lengthy description. This made the story all the better in my view.

Though the book is a story with beginning middle and end, there is clear scope for a sequel. I loved reading this book and would recommend it to anyone. I would also definitely buy any sequel that is released. Here's hoping one comes out soon!

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A new distopian land, 23 Jun 2014
An interesting concept that allows the reader to consider what they would choose about themselves. Are you selfless, brave or Intelligent? Are people equipped to make that distinction aged 16? This book made me question all of these things. It also made me think about how society moulds and shapes us as people. I have never been able to narrow my focus to one particular thing, and so I would probably be divergent myself. An interesting thought.

The book is lots better than the film although the film is worth watching too. For me books always win because I gain further insight and depth into the characters and their world. There is also all that extra detail that the films have to leave out. Looking forward to completing the trilogy.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a goodie, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Kindle Edition)
A classic novel full of pent up emotions, gothic locations and complex relationships. This book has always been a favourite of mine. I love the imagery and the wild windswept moors that match with the turbulent characters of Cathy and Heathcliff.

Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2)
Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars More layers added, 23 Jun 2014
Loved this book. I thought it better than the first one, and there were many layers added to the plot and the characters. I liked that this book gave more information on the other factions and that like the characters, the action was no longer tied to one particular faction. I also liked the realism, where if you fight you get hurt. If you mess wit guns, people get shot. So often this type of thing gets romanticised or glossed over. This book managed to avoid that whilst not being overly graphic. The pace was also much faster and there were several more twists and turns. I would recommend this book to any one who likes dystopian literature or YA books.

Allegiant (Divergent Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars At last all questions anawered, 23 Jun 2014
I have really enjoyed all of the books in this trilogy. I am developing a taste for dystopian teenage fiction. Plenty of soul searching and revealing of facts and secrets in this book that neatly tie up all the questions raised in the first two books. I have to question why Tobias acts in the same way that he has been criticising Tris for during their whole relationship. But then again, I suppose humans, and teenagers in particular, are far from rational or fair about these things. That's one of the things that I like about the story, that although the characters had been brought up and even trained to be one thing, they all secretly wanted to be more. The ending was not what I was expecting, and I was surprised with the fate of Tris in particular. I think this added to the feeling of the book being real and acknowledging that things do not always go to plan, people get hurt, and life is not a fairy-tale.

A Witch Alone (The Winter Trilogy Book 3)
A Witch Alone (The Winter Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great ending, 9 July 2013
I liked this book because it tied up all the loose ends and stayed true to the rest of the books and the characters. It wasn't too hard to work out bits of the plot but there were lots of little twists and turns that made it a good read. I also liked the fact that it remained real. characters were injured, despairing etc and the writer did not shy away from it like some teen fiction writers, and it was necessary but not gratuitous. All in all a well balanced book, a good ending to a trilogy, and a good read.

The Duke of Christmas Past
The Duke of Christmas Past

3.0 out of 5 stars To fill an hour or two, 4 April 2013
This was light reading whilst I am off work. It whiled away a couple of hours. Good for holidays, rainy afternoons etc. The interfering ghost sending the duke back in time was a good twist. In short, a pleasant historical romance, but it won't set the world on fire.

The Book of Dragons
The Book of Dragons

3.0 out of 5 stars Bedtime stories, 4 April 2013
This is an anthology style collection of short stories about dragons. They are written for children, hence a child always being the main character in each story. It is obvious that they were written in earlier times due to the frequent references to "nurse" and "not getting your boots wet". The overall feeling is of polite well-to-do families at the turn of the last century. However, children always like stories where they are the star, and the tales are imaginative. I'm sure children will still enjoy these stories being read to them. What child doesn't like hearing tales of dragons at bedtime?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3