Profile for Matthew Hallam > Reviews

Content by Matthew Hallam

Matthew Hallam "Matthew Hallam www.radiomagnetic.com" (Glasgow, UK)

The Classic
The Classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Classic (Audio CD)
In contrast to the previous reviewer, I believe this is the inspired work of a creative genius of exceptional talents. I've listened to this album many times over the past week, and find it totally addictive. Not only is Joan herself an incredible musician, but she seems to have assembled a team of fellow players around her who exhibit equal gifts, and the interplay between them is magical. Sadly, the material here may not be as commercial as some tatstes would prefer, but anyone who enjoys innovation and passion in music, alongside high production values, will love this album. Far from being a disappointment, this album is the perfect culmination of her career to date. GO JOAN!

Greek (Modern) I, Comprehensive: Learn to Speak and Understand Modern Greek with Pimsleur Language Programs
by Pimsleur
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to learn Greek, 20 Nov. 2009
My partner and I decided to move to Greece after buying a house on one of the Greek islands, so I bought the Pimsleur Comprehensive I course in order to try and learn some of the language. It consists of 30 half hour lessons which I listened to everyday in the car on the way into work. I found it to be an amazing way to learn as it appears to require very little effort, and within no time I was able to put together basic sentences. I also put the lessons on my phone and have been listening to them while doing the housework, walking the dog or while doing a spot of DIY! It is so easy to fit it into your day. By the time we moved here I had already progressed on to the Comprehensive II course, and the locals have all been very impressed with my ability to converse with them in their native tongue - and all this without ever opening a Greek Grammar or a textbook of any kind! I really cannot recommend this highly enough. If you're looking for a thorough grounding in Modern Greek for whatever reason, I suggest you try this first. If only they would introduce a Greek III!