Profile for B. R. Barton > Reviews

Content by B. R. Barton

B. R. Barton (Dorset, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Silverline 675295 Bandsaw Blade 14tpi
Silverline 675295 Bandsaw Blade 14tpi
Offered by PCArena
Price: 5.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent blades! - They last and last - And ..., 21 July 2014
Excellent blades ! - They last and last - And to the reviewers who claimed "The teeth point the wrong way !" - Are you serious ? - You take the blade and flip it "Inside out" and then they point the "right way" - Surely you must be having a laugh ?

Silverline Spring Clamps 5pk 100mm
Silverline Spring Clamps 5pk 100mm
Offered by eTailing Universe Ltd
Price: 2.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous ! - I now have around 40 of these., 11 July 2014
I've bought several sets of these clamps over the past two decades - Various sizes. It's hard to criticise anything about them really. They are as close to the perfect solution to my gluing woodworking projects as it's possible to get. If you were to FORCE me to find any faults with them, I guess it would boil down to just TWO little niggles -
a. If you drop them onto a concrete floor in cold temperatures, they'll quite likely shatter.
b. Perhaps the largest criticism - The orange swivelling end pads have the tendency to swivel the wrong way (In other words, to flip over backwards). If they had little springs behind them to keep them facing the right way, it would be a boon. I'm considering gluing them with some kind of flexible glue to stop them flipping backwards.

Isaac Newton & The secret Sun Dial Portal
Isaac Newton & The secret Sun Dial Portal
Price: 5.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing theories, but........, 22 April 2014
Some astounding ideas presented here which resulted in a book I couldn't put down, marred only by many spelling and grammatical errors such giving every plural an apostrophe, which is not too unusual in kindle books, but especially irritating here where it's accompanied by a plethora of question marks, most of them erroneously placed after statements, rather than actual questions. They seem to indicate that the author speaks using the dreadful Australian rising inflection habit. Other than that, the claims of this book have moved me to actually plan a visit to Settle to do some checking for myself.

KOALA PRODUCTS TEAM FISHING TACKLE SEAT BOX, CUSHION, PADDED STRAP & BACK REST
KOALA PRODUCTS TEAM FISHING TACKLE SEAT BOX, CUSHION, PADDED STRAP & BACK REST

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems good - but some niggles., 10 Oct 2013
I received my box, and did a few very useful mods to it, as shown in - [...]
It seems to be a strong box. We'll see what happens when it's taken on its first sea fishing trip. BUT - there's a couple of niggles with it - things that have already infuriated me, even before actually using it in the field. I'll list them -
a. The lid won't stay up. Whilst modding it, and subsequently putting my gear in it. I'm rapidly getting irritated by the lid constantly falling shut - USUALLY RIGHT ONTO THE BACK OF MY HANDS. Painful, to say the least. I'm looking to make some kind of lid retainer.
b. Opening the lid is NOT easy. You have to press in two large buttons. Try doing that (it takes two hands), whilst at the same time, lifting the lid UP. The buttons are very hard to depress and are part of the edge of the lid itself. You can, with some difficulty, press just one of the buttons and pull the lid up with the other hand, then tackle the other side, hoping that the first side you released doesn't snap shut again. Also, when pressing the button, it usually manages to trap the end of your thumb as it slides to one side when the lid opens. A bit hard to explain, but you'll discover what I'm talking about when it happens to you.
The lid release buttons are a cheap and quite nasty method of holding the lid closed. I have a feeling that I'll shortly be taking a hacksaw to those buttons and devising some other method of closing it. Also, there's no lock, and not even a loop or anything you could shove a small padlock through. Not very impressive for a fifty quid box.
I'm concerned that when I place it on a pebble-strewn beach and sit on it, a stone will punch through the underside of the box. We'll see.
I'm off fishing with it next week. I'll update this review when I get back.

God Collar
God Collar
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but not for too long, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: God Collar (Kindle Edition)
Although I agree with the atheist sentiments in the book, it's "A joke in every sentence", which is just fine for a while, but it soon starts to feel like a LIFE sentence. It's bang bang bang..... interminable, endless, unceasing, joke joke joke...... and although I've now got 3/4 of the way through it, I'm beginning to lose the will to live. The words "5th form smart-arse" are beginning to form in my mind. I'm not about to abandon the book, but the words "I must abandon this book" are also beginning to form in my mind. This review is actually written in the style of the book, just to demonstrate to you how interminably, endlessly unceasingly..... Well, you get the picture.

The First Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Tales
The First Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Tales
Price: 0.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these anthologies, 3 July 2013
I use to avidly read Sci-fi anthologies.... then lost interest. But after several decades I've come back with a revitalised love of this type of story...... Short and to the point, and I can read one entire story every night in bed, before closing my eyes. My only criticism is that they sometimes pop a story in there that is rather too long. I skip those. I do need to get some shut-eye.

English As She Is Spoke
English As She Is Spoke
Price: 0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues to give me a chuckle., 18 Jun 2013
I'm a writer, and have long had a love for the more whimsical and sometimes tortured turn of phrase and this book has been on my shelves for many years, rediscovered occasionally to give me a smile and a chuckle. I decided I'd like it on my Kindle, and to my delight it was available, so I immediately bought it. I must add - To enjoy this, we have to suspend our disbelief and accept that this was a real, genuine book, and not some latter day spoof, but we have no proof that it was what it claims to be.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical and a "Can't put it down" story, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
This story isn't just a sci-fi story. It's so heavily into the technicalities of space flight that it all seems so perfectly feasible. As an engineer myself (unfortunately, not involved in something so exotic as space flight), the story gripped me and it felt more like a documentary than a work of fiction. I love documentaries and love the nuts and bolts of space travel. I also loved the absence of any pointless sub-plots involving romance !

The Good Book
The Good Book
Price: 11.39

3.0 out of 5 stars HEAVY GOING, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Good Book (Kindle Edition)
Perhaps the hardest read I've ever tackled. I've had it over a month and have only managed to conquer two pages. You'll see why if you feel like reading it. I'm not saying it's not good........... I like to be challenged when I grapple with a book, but there are limits even to MY patience. But It remains in my Kindle and I'll keep at it....... small nibbles might be the way to go.

The Sixth Science Fiction Megapack
The Sixth Science Fiction Megapack
Price: 0.36

4.0 out of 5 stars A good collection, 3 Jun 2013
A great anthology, but some of those stories I thought were rather LONG for an anthology of, I presumed SC-FI SHORT stories. And not all of the authors appeared to have been credited at the end of the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3