Profile for Tomas Vareika > Reviews

Content by Tomas Vareika

Tomas Vareika (Panevezys, Lithuania)

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars One module faulty, 21 Sept. 2012
Corsair Vengeance is a great memory, it has a great looking heatsink. However, one of my modules was defective. It caused system instability (BSOD). I ran build-in motherboard memory test and it failed. I also ran memtest86+ and it shown errors in defective module. I returned the product, amazon policy is always great. Great memory, but I was just unlucky with it.

It also did not have any manual or paper, just box with modules inside.

ORB GP1 Gaming Headset (PS3/PC)
ORB GP1 Gaming Headset (PS3/PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Headset is ok, 27 Sept. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Short review.
Headset works well with PS3, no statics or any unwelcomed noise.
Alone in USB slots, along with other devices or charging controllers - everything is fine.

Sound Quality

It is obviously not 200 Pounds headset, so don't expect anything groundbreaking. Sound quality is fine, you can get fairly loud sound without losing it's quality. It is also possible to tell which place sounds come from, that means Stereo works well. On PC, turning headset sound high leads to unwanted statics/sound, so make sure to get computer sound up and only then max out the headset. I have not tested microphone, it is long and flexible.

Built

The headset has ok quality: it does not look rock solid nor that it might break any time.

Comfort

Now this is tricky. My ears are big. It seems that I got some extra ear size in exchange of a smaller... Even after 30 mins my ears find it quite uncomfortable to wear the headset, to I have to constantly adjust the headset. The pads are soft. I have had problems with many headsets, sometimes it was unbearable, but I can wear these.

Connectivity

Supplies with all the wires you need and even one extra (USB2-USB3), no idea what to do with that. Wires can be a little messy, but the main wire which connects headset with other wires is long. I just left the pile of other wires (PS3 AV cable, Headset USB wire, Headset wire which connects to AV cable).

Conclusion

I give this headset a 4.5/5 because of the ear problem. Make no mistake, same would happen with other headsets.
I don't think that Tritton or Turtle Beach 40-60£ range headsets will offer significantly better quality.
If you just want a headset, but you don't have much money, this is most likely the best deal unless you find cheap Tritton or Turtle Beach headsets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2012 4:24 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap IPS monitor, 27 Sept. 2011
I have been looking at IPS monitors for some time, only affordable are Asus PA238Q and this. I bought this monitor for about 203£ including shipping from the merchant at Amazon.
It is a great monitor for everyday use. It is an e-IPS panel, which today is the lowest quality IPS panel. Still, I find this not a problem, since other IPS panels are at least twice as much expensive.

Picture Quality
Monitor has 16.7m colours, they are solid and saturated. Contrast is good. Black levels are not the best, especially when viewing from angle. Watching from a very short distances (70cm and less), it is possible to see between white pixels and this damaged the quality of the colour (this happens only with a very light colour, mostly white). It is great for gaming, people who say that IPS is not for gaming are wrong. At the moment I use this monitor for gaming on PS3, but in the future I will work with graphics applications (Photoshop etc) and I am sure it will perform well.

Performance
There is no ghosting, or at least no visible ghosting. Monitor finds connection instantly, turns into energy saving/sleeping mode as soon as I turn off the computer. I no longer have to check if the chair is in the right place, so I can see picture from the right angle. Monitor does not offer as good viewing angles as other type IPS panels, but it is fairly good (far better than TN).

There are no issues with tint or dead pixels with my panel, people used to complain about older Ultrasharp monitors which had slight tint issues.

Look of the monitor
Monitor looks great. It comes with buttons, not touch nonsense which many manufacturers use. The stand is top quality: functional and stylish. I was surprised how good the stand is. I heared people complaining about Ultrasharp coating, and it is indeed a problem when looking at white images. For gaming and movies watching, it is not a problem. For working and browsing (looking the the static white (or light) view) it is. It is a matte surface, I would much rather use this than glossy MAC screens which are a nightmare to work in the lit environment.

Connectivity
I am sure you can read it in the description. My issue is that there is no HDMI, I had to buy HDMI-DVI cable in order to connect my PS3 to the monitor. Monitor support HDCP, it is pretty much a standart these days. Monitor also came with DVI-DVI, VGA-VGA and one USB-something cables, official description does not mention them.

Conclusion
I have surfed a lot about this monitor, sadly there is no decent review of it. Some user impressions on youtube, some articles about specs. I was surprised that even one month after the release of the monitor no-one wrote a decent review. If you are reading my review in order to find out about whether or not you should buy this monitor, believe me, you will not be disappointed. Monitor also comes with Dell 3 Year Next Day replacement warranty, this is a major thumbs up for any device.

Only cons:
Coating produces ''sparkles'' (reason for -1 star)
Black levels can be darker
No HDMI
Comment Comments (33) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2012 11:57 AM BST

Derwent Graphic Graphite Pencils Tin 9B-9H (Set of 24)
Derwent Graphic Graphite Pencils Tin 9B-9H (Set of 24)

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much pencils, 26 Sept. 2011
This is a great set of pencils, but I will not make a use out of all of them. This set includes pencils like 9H, which barely leaves a mark on the paper.
It is better to buy like 8B, 6B, 4B, 2B, HB, 2H, 4H for drawing and it be enough.

Just think if you need that much pencils before you buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2012 6:11 PM GMT

Travel Adaptor Plug: Worldwide / European Visitor To Uk
Travel Adaptor Plug: Worldwide / European Visitor To Uk
Offered by Digicorp

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should do, 26 Sept. 2011
No idea what other people may expect from this adaptor.

Works as it should work, especially for this price. Went though a few stores in Glasgow, cheapest was 4.50£.

Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, 26 Sept. 2011
It is a great, big mouse. Software is super. Looks nice, feels nice, performs well. The only problem is that my pinky has no place on it, so it touches the pad. Sharkoon could easily revision the mouse to include some kind of extended side, similar to Cyberg Rat one.

After comparing this to Logitech MX518, I had no idea which one to pick. By the time I had to order, the price for this was at least 5 pounds lower. Obviously I did not miss.