Profile for Mark Fairbank > Reviews

Mark Fairbank (Australia)

Kevin Schwartz: Grand Prix Year - 1989 - Flick The Beast [VHS]
Kevin Schwartz: Grand Prix Year - 1989 - Flick The Beast [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, patchy, but brilliant., 30 Nov. 2012
Other review here a bit scathing and i do see the points made to a certain degree.
But... this was put together and released in late 80's as i well remember buying the video when it came out (yes, i am a Kevein Schwantz fan)
I loved it plus i loved the 500GP two strokes. (and how GP racing has suffered since the outlawing of two stroke...) Criminal!
Anyway, i liked the fact this video is raw and not perfect, and i will say some of the captured moments (highsides, duals, near misses, and powersliding has been captured to perfection.
I watched this video loads of times years ago until it knackered basically. How i wish they would do a dvd (untouch it from the dvd version if you do..!!) version.
Yeah the interviews were a bit scant but its about the bikes, the racing, the spills, the speed... you can almost smell the two stroke.... the burning rubber..... :-)
I used to go and watch the 500GP racing (mainly Donnington) over the years late 80's to mid 90's. And i have to say i loved the Schwantz, Lawson, Rainey, Doohan, Mamola years. Some of the most outstanding racing ever in history of motorcycle GP racing.
If you are a fan of two stroke era GP racing then get this. Its a no brainer.
And if anyone has a dvd copy of this, let me know! I will pay a decent price. Cheers. :-)

Cheers: Complete Eighth Season [DVD] [1983] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Cheers: Complete Eighth Season [DVD] [1983] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheers season 8, 26 Jan. 2012
This review is short and sweet.......
Cheers is simply brilliant. Not just this season (8) but all of them.
I have all the seasons from 1st to last.
Extremely funny and witty.
Clever comedy.
Brilliant cast.
Some amazing humour.
So much uhmour in fact that as you watch them again anad again its almost like you see things you think you missed or things you may have forgotten.
I watched this when it came out in 80's/90's and loved it.
Americans are not always 'there' when it comes to humour but with this; they have it totally spot on. Sheer comedy brilliance.
Only flaw i would say is not the comedy itself, but the reproduction quality on a handful of episodes here and there is fairly poor quality (adio and visual) i think if memory serves me right; season 7 & 8 mainly. Possibly a couple of others. Only a few episodes so mainly i would say master tapes may be a bit knackered.
So dont let this put you off. It dosent actually ruin it as such. And like i said, its not a reflection on the actual show/s in question.

Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - In a Greeting Card - £50 (Snowy City)
Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - In a Greeting Card - £50 (Snowy City)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift Card review, 26 Jan. 2012
Easy to order.
Good selection of cards to choose for occassion/s.
Handy for me to order for my brother as he lives in U.K and i live in Australia.
I generally do and like to buy actual presents. But this can be a good alternative at times.
What i also like is you dont pay 'extra' for card etc. So no petty charging. A lot in that i think.

War Party (VHS) (1989)
War Party (VHS) (1989)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding film! An absolute must see film., 25 April 2010
This review is from: War Party (VHS) (1989) (VHS Tape)
This film rates among my favourites.
I watched this when it came out in 1989.
Never heard of it, never knew of anyone who had seen it i rented it (VHS obviously...)
I knew of Billy Wirth (Vampire in The Lost Boys) and Kevin Dillon etc. And thought the plot looked interesting when i read the cover info.
Anyway..........
Without going too much into it, i was blown away. The ending in particular was very powerful and i had a lump in my throat. I felt a degree of anger too. That maybe in part due to my feelings regarding the 'white' Americans and the worst atocities to EVER happen. By that i mean 100's of native Americans wiped out. Extinct. No more.
This film will stir the emotions anyway, whatever your knowledge and thoughts/opinions are.
There are some very clever small 'messages' among the film which many paople i know who have enjoyed the film miss most or all of them. Will you see...?
This film MUST come out on DVD. I had the Video for years and transferred it to DVD. But obviously, the quality suffers.
There was an alternative ending for this film and i wonder if it would (it should!) end up on the DVD if... it ever see's the light of day.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2011 9:50 AM BST

Dudes
Dudes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film! Great blend of action and humour., 25 April 2010
This review is from: Dudes (VHS Tape)
I watched this film in mid 80's when it was released. Video obviously!
I wish and keep looking to see if it will come out on DVD. (same with The Choirboys film)
Anyway, a couple punk kids after watching the Vandals, get into a scrape and decide to go on a road trip.
Some encounters along the way and some very funny moments here and there, the boys come of age.
This is a great road trip movie and although i am in my 40's now, i know i would enjoy this film now as i did then.
I cannot for the life of me understand why this film is not on DVD and maybe it did not do so well years ago. I don't know.
But, i never heard of it when i saw video in local rental shop when it was released, i picked it up and watched it with my then girlfriend along with The Principal (James Belushi) which also never heard of and also was brilliant.
Dudes is fun, well acted, a good pace, and just simply an enjoyable fun movie.
I recommend this film 100%!
If you have a VHS player, buy this film! You wont regret it.
Whoever owns the film rights (and your'e reading this....) get it on DVD and with some reasonable marketing, will do well. Think this will appeal to more yougsters than even back in 80's. Think about it...........

Spider-Man [DVD] [2002]
Spider-Man [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire|Willem Dafoe|Kirsten Dunst|James Franco
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars The best superhero. A brilliant film!!, 10 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Quite simply; awsome!
I read the comics as a kid and i have to say that the film (as i write, all three films) are so close in perfect detail to the comics. The most accurate, detailed and honour to the comics. I should know, i had (not have sadly...) the first spidey marvel comic onwards. Im mid forties and had the spidey, hulk, fantastic4, superman, iron man, etc. Loved them all.
Out of all the superhero films (and i love them all) Spiderman was what i was looking forward to the most. I saw an interview with Sam Raimi who said he loved and was a major Spidey fan from the original comics and he wanted to make the film as accurate as possible to the comics. And boy....! did he succeed! I really do not think any other director would have put in the complete detail to that other than Sam Raimi.
I think thats where Ang Lee's Hulk fails for example (though i still liked it but it was fragmented... and Eric bana put in a brilliant [performance which for me, saved it) Every character in Spidey is absolutely spot on. Ben & Aunt May, Tobey is perfect as Spidey/Peter Parker. I was blown away when i saw the first Spidey film when it came out at the cimemas. I was truly overjoyed and i had high expectations because of my love of Spidey from comic days. But my expectations were exceeded! This is by far the truest, strongest franchise of all the superhero films by a long way. I love the other too but Spidey has that edge, that extra mile. Good on you Sam Raimi. Please do the 4th, 5th and 6th Spidey films...

The Choirboys [VHS]
The Choirboys [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic film! Why the hell is it not on DVD!!!!!!!!!, 27 July 2008
This review is from: The Choirboys [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Brilliant film. Watched this on video in the early 80's. Great black comedy.
Good pace, funny scenes a plenty,some serious stuff too. It takes you along then bam! Hits you with humour or thought provoking moments.
I keep searching and searching....... hoping one day it will be out on DVD. Why it isnt is way beyond me. Must be to do with legal rights or something stupid.
If you want to get it on VHS then i say go for it! great film.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2011 8:46 PM GMT

Blood, Fire & Love
Blood, Fire & Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, but with substance. Fantastic album., 2 July 2008
This review is from: Blood, Fire & Love (Audio CD)
I bought this years ago when it first came out. Never heard of them, never heard a track. I came across it in a record shop and loved the cover! It was their famous indian headress on a skull. It was silver embossed on a satin black sleeve. I bought it on the strength of that plus it seemed to have attitude streaming from it (i am from punk era and love early punk rock, Ruts, Ramones, UK Subs, SLF etc, plus early Van Halen, early Iron Maiden etc) But this album just blew me away when i first heard it. Every single track is strong. Not a weak song on it.
The music is at times melodic but make no mistake, still extremly powerful! This was their debut album and this ranks as one of the best bebuts ever by any band. Absolutely essential to any collection by anyone who knows anything about music. Faultless.
I was fortunate enough to see this band live when i lived in U.K (i live in Oz now) and by christ, they were awsome.
I cannot give any comparison to whom they sound like because its unique really.
I defy anyone who likes rock music to not like this in any way. Brilliant.

Oxford Blues [VHS]
Oxford Blues [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very underated., 18 April 2007
This review is from: Oxford Blues [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this film in the late 80's on VHS, from a rental shop.

I hadn't heard anything about it and was one of those 'take a chance' films.

I had been aware of Rob Lowe films and up to that point hadn't been disappointed. (About Last Night, St Elmos Fire)

It is quite different and i don't think it did too well. Maybe lack of marketing....?

Anyway, its a great film, has its comic moments and is enjoyable from start to finish.

If you like Rob Lowe films and have not seen it.... see it! buy it!

You will not be disappointed.

A feel good film.