Profile for trawler > Reviews

Content by trawler

trawler

Zero Six Bravo: 60 Special Forces. 100,000 Enemy. The Explosive True Story.
Zero Six Bravo: 60 Special Forces. 100,000 Enemy. The Explosive True Story.

5.0 out of 5 stars bang bang, 30 Sep 2014
Tukka tukka tukka peeeeeow. Fizzzzz BANG. Pop pop. Tukka tukka tukka, whoooosh bang. 'Leg it!' Brrrrrrrrrm screeach thwump. Daga daga daga 'have it!' Peeeeow BOOOM!

Slingshot (Spycatcher Book 3)
Slingshot (Spycatcher Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 28 Jun 2014
Perhaps a little confusing to begin with. I had to keep skipping back pages and paragraphs because some of the Russian names had a similar look and feel, I couldn't be 100% sure who I was dealing with because they weren't necessarily integral characters at the time. I think the author probably speaks Russian and is very familiar so Mikhail sounds like Michael to him but it doesn't immediately to me as a reader. So in the first instance it reads 'this Russian geeza'. I think a few less characters might sort this for my tiny little brain. Anyway after a lot of initial skipping backwards and forwards I give it five stars anyway because once I was over the initial confusion I couldn't put it down.

Gang of One
Gang of One

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic book written by a great bloke, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gang of One (Kindle Edition)
An incredibly moving account. I've read this twice now. Absolutely brilliant. Actually had my heart pounding on the second read. Even when I knew what was going to happen.

Sentinel: A Spycatcher Novel
Sentinel: A Spycatcher Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars top one, 16 Jan 2014
Gripped from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant. I take every negative comment (and there weren't many) about the first book I made back. Well worth it. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Spartan (Spycatcher Book 1)
Spartan (Spycatcher Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars good after all, 19 Dec 2013
I thought this book a little bit sensational when I first started it but persevered and it paid off. A really good read if you can get past the fact that it's obviously been written with an American as well as British market in mind. I would hazard a guess this is why 'Spartan' is initially portrayed as anything but the 'grey man' that you would expect someone like this to be. In my book if you take three rounds to the abdomen then you are pretty much dead and you certainly don't get on a plane and travel unaided the very next day.
This was all a bit surprising in light of the fact that the author was himself in the business. But hey you gotta make a crust no? Set all of that bo locks aside and it's a really enjoyable book.

The New Recruit: Liam Scott Book 1
The New Recruit: Liam Scott Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars top one, 27 Nov 2013
Brilliant as always. White knuckle seat grabber. Hooked from start to finish. I think what makes this author's books so special is that he draws not only from his extensive military network, but also from his own experiences. We learn in his autobiography about the tragic death of a friend in a fall during his childhood. It seems he may be referring to this in this first of the Liam Scott novels. It gives the book an edge of realism not to be found in other authors.
I think he also works hard not to be unrealistic or 'Ramboish' in his work.
Much appreciated.

Afghan Heat: SAS Operations in Afganistan Extended Edition: War in Afghanistan
Afghan Heat: SAS Operations in Afganistan Extended Edition: War in Afghanistan

5.0 out of 5 stars really great, 18 Nov 2013
If you can get past the occasional grammatical error, and I did, this makes fascinating reading. This seems to be a reasoned and sensible account of SAS operations in Afghanistan, without the tendency to exaggerate the situation and circumstances.

In this short account you get an idea of exactly what allied or ISAF forces have been up against over there.

Well worth a read.

Under the Wire
Under the Wire

5.0 out of 5 stars outrageous awesome v sad and gripping (funny too in parts), 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Under the Wire (Kindle Edition)
I was cacking myself and I wasn't even there. Makes me want to find out what we are really doing about this awful conflict.
Really saddened by the account of the loss of Marie and Remi.
What are we doing? I'm really bloody fired up now which I guess was the point.
I think you've done those unfortunate (understatement) people of Baba Amr proud with this account.
And that tosser that attributed deaths to your escape. I want his fekin number too.