Profile for aprilfool > Reviews

Content by aprilfool

aprilfool

Hombre (Read a Great Movie)
Hombre (Read a Great Movie)
by Elmore Leonard

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 27 Nov 2012
I liked this book a lot (and so did my Dad in his 80s)- easy to read and compelling. The film version follows very closely to the book, so if you are familiar with the Paul Newman film you'll know the story. Either way I'd recommend a read of this - well worth it.

Double Indemnity
Double Indemnity
by James Lee Burke
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Good noir, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Double Indemnity (Paperback)
Good film noir by a well respected novelist in the genre - get it read.
The characters seem a little eager to double cross and bump people off but then again if they werent nothing would happen.

by James Herbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly poor, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: 48 (Hardcover)
This book is pretty poor, general pulp story and there are better novels by James Herbert (never mind by anyone else). Its ok but when you finish you'll probably wish you'd spent the time reading something else.

Second Variety: Volume Two Of The Collected Stories (Collected Short Stories of Philip K. Dick)
by Philip K. Dick
Price: 7.28

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Dick you'll like this, 27 Nov 2012
Short story compliation from PKD which shows his early writings. Its worth a read if you're already into PKD; but I wouldnt start here if you're new to his books. Better to start with one of his novels, they're all short any way. These shorts are like episodes of the Twilight Zone, many set offworld but not all, pretty good and interesting when you're familiar with his other work..

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 24 Oct 2012
I read this book a few years ago but it still stands vividly in my mind. I still have the book as I want to read it again at some point - I usually swap them on readitswapit.
The book is long at 1000 pages but was never dragging or annoying, the story is a delight; being mainly twofold the world of the magicians and the world of the imp/faerie/daemon.
It may sound childish fantasy but I would describe the book as more like magical realism. I would recommend this book as a must read.

Dane-Elec SO MOBILE - Hard drive - 640 GB - external - 2.5" (13.5 x 8.4 x1.6 cm)

4.0 out of 5 stars looks good to me - but only used for one day so far, 11 Mar 2011
got this drive at Scan (its 52 del at the moment) as I intended to open it up and put the 640gb drive into my ps3. However I havent done this yet (and might not bother now) and have used it on my PC and ps3 via the supplied usb lead (which is about 5" long) which is all you get in the box along with the drive and a little instruction booklet.
I was under the impression that external drives may need a powered hub to work on the ps3 but this drive didnt need anything just plugged in and worked straight away powered only by the single ps3 usb data socket.
The drive was formatted to fat32 already (so ok for the ps3) and had a folder on it containing the backup utility. I didnt bother installing this but it looks straight forward and when done gives the ability to backup your PC by pressing the small button on the drive next to the mini-usb socket.
I've read elsewhere that the drive inside is Samsung but I cannot confirm this.
All in all a decent portable hard drive which looks nicer in use than the picture shows and works out of the box on PC and ps3.