Profile for Mr Antony Johnston > Reviews

Content by Mr Antony Johnston

Mr Antony Johnston

[Apple MFI Certified] Anker Lightning to USB Cable 3ft / 0.9m with Ultra Compact Connector Head for iPhone 6 6Plus 5s 5c 5, iPad Air Air2 mini mini2 mini3, iPad 4th gen, iPod touch 5th gen, and iPod nano 7th gen (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and appearance, 18 Feb. 2015
Looks and feels as good (if not better) than the original Apple cable, at a fraction of the price. The connectors feel robust and flexible. I like that its available in black - to be honest this matches my grey 5s better than the white cable supplied with it.

Puma Speed Cat Sd 301953 22 Mens Laced Suede Trainers Blue Natural - 10
Puma Speed Cat Sd 301953 22 Mens Laced Suede Trainers Blue Natural - 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, great for driving, 9 Jan. 2015
Stylish colour and sleek shape. The flexible and relatively thin sole and rolled heel make these ideal for driving. The suede is, predictably, very difficult to clean...so avoid wearing them in a muddy field.

The fit is slightly "snug" but still true to size - because of the driving-focused design, I suspect they are intentionally a tight fit.

SolarStorm ® New 2nd Generation 2 x Cree XM-L2 Led X2 Bike Bicycle Light Night Cycling Lamp/Rainproof Dustproof Waterproof 4 x 18650 Battery Pack with Rubber Jacket/UK Standard Battery Charger with EU Adapter/ 4 x O Installation Rubber Rings/Free Gift 6 LEDS Tail Safety Light/ Dimples Excel

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggeringly bright and well-built, 9 Jan. 2015
It's staggeringly bright and lasts a solid two hours on the low setting (which is nothing to be scoffed at - "low" lights up the road ahead of me very nicely). The medium and high settings are almost painfully bright even from behind the lamp and I have been keeping the lamp at a "dipped" angle to avoid dazzling other road users - it's really that bright.

Easy to install with the included elastic straps - The larger version fits around my 31.8mm bars (with thick bar tape) just fine. The battery is reassuringly waterproofed and has not had any issues in heavy downpours. The cables from the battery and from the lamp itself are both extremely long. It could easily reach from the handlebars all the way to your saddle if necessary, but since I wanted to mount mine on the stem I shortened the battery end of the cable by de-soldering, trimming and re-soldering. It wasn't too hard for anyone with soldering experience and makes the whole setup a bit neater, but be aware this surely voids any "warranty" the battery might have.

It charges in a couple of hours and the wall charger seems quite safe - it has an LED indicator which changes from red to green to show charging is complete and doesn't get too hot as reviewers have experienced with cheaper chargers included with similar generic models of XM-L2 LED lamps.

The "freebie" rear lamp is pointless. Not good quality like the main front lamp at all and I wouldn't advise using it unless you have no other rear lamp handy. But this doesn't seem to have increased the price of the whole package whatsoever, so who cares! Buy it!

Bodum Pavina Double Walled Thermo Glasses 0.45l x 2
Bodum Pavina Double Walled Thermo Glasses 0.45l x 2
Offered by Harts Of Stur

2.0 out of 5 stars The best glasses I ever owned...until they broke, very easily, 9 Jan. 2015
Excellent at keep heat in (for tea, coffee) or keeping cold in (icy drinks, which I mostly what I used my 15oz version for) but they are PATHETICALLY FRAGILE. For a glass that is so insanely expensive, you would expect them to be built tough enough to at least be washed by hand in a sink - this is how both of my two glasses got a crack. I generally pride myself on being quite dexterous but these are simply too fragile to survive regular use when hand-washing.

Delkin 32GB Micro SDHC Class 10 Memory Card
Delkin 32GB Micro SDHC Class 10 Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my "corrupt video" issues on GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, 11 Oct. 2013
I was previously using a class 10 Samsung microSD (which I verified on my PC to be genuine and definitely capable of class 10 speeds) with my GoPro Hero 3 Black. The card appeared to work at first when testing it by leaving the camera running in my living room. However, as soon as I mounted the camera on my bike helmet and got some MOVING footage, the camera would stop recording after around 60 seconds with the "corrupt video" icon (a bicycle icon with "OK" next to it), even recording in the relatively low-bitrate 720p 60fps mode. Presumably the fast moving footage requires a higher bitrate than a static image of my living room and the card simply can't handle it.

This card is one of only a handful of cards recommended by GoPro for the Hero 3 Black and it solved my recording issues immediately. I've had good experience with Samsung cards in the past but in a super-high write speed device like the Hero 3, there's no point wasting your time chancing it with non-approved cards. Just get this one and rest assured that it WILL work.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 4:29 PM BST

Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Standard Lock with EZMount Bracket
Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Standard Lock with EZMount Bracket
Offered by bikes4life limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Beefy lock, bracket works just fine (don't believe the hype), 14 Dec. 2012
Pay no attention to the reviews complaining about the EZ-mount bracket. It's quite simple to attach and stays VERY securely mounted on the bike, and it allows the lock to be mounted even on very small frames like my 54cm Specialized Langster 2011. You may have to add some electrical tape to the lock itself to stop it from rattling while it is mounted. Personally I don't use the mount because of this rattling, and because I always wear a backpack on my ride to work anyway.

Besides, the beefiness of the lock itself makes it great value even without the bracket. You could brain a T-rex with this thing.

Command Medium Hooks Value Pack
Command Medium Hooks Value Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Holds up to 1kg? The hell it does...., 15 May 2012
Having no hooks on the back of my bedroom and bathroom doors in my private rented house was driving me nuts. Where do you hang your dressing gown/coats/towels?! These seemed like a great solution at first. But after following the instructions to a T (cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol, pushing it hard against the wall for 30 seconds, not using it for a couple of hours) I have already had hooks fall off 8 times, thus I'm down to my last 4 strips. The only 2 hooks which haven't fallen off are the two in my bathroom as they are only used for a few minutes a day while my dressing gown hangs there. The ones in my bedroom, however, couldn't hold my (well under 1kg) gown or towel. These strips are basically unfit for purpose...if they had costed any more I would have returned them for a refund because they are USELESS to me now. Bottom line: DON'T BOTHER! Just ask your landlord's permission if necessary and use screws!

7dayshop 64x LED Stackable Video/Camcorder and Photograhic Modelling Light - 7DVL1

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance and versatility, 19 Jan. 2011
I bought this video light to use with my Canon 550D when shooting videos in dark nightclubs.

So far, I have had the light switched on for around 4 hours in total and haven't had to replace the batteries (4 x Duracell "Procell" AA). The brightness of the light (which is considerable!) hasn't diminished after this period of use. I suppose the use of LEDs makes it quite an efficient product.

I found the included mounting bracket quite useful as mounting it on the hotshoe of my camera would prevent the flash from popping up, meaning that I would need to remove the video light to take photos in the club.

The light has 2 buttons, on/off, and high/low brightness. The high brightness uses all LEDs whereas the low brightness settings disables the outermost ring of LEDs, making the light sliiiiiiightly dimmer (not a great deal). I usually use the light on full power anyway.

One downside of the light: The on/off button is very easy to press, and can cause the light to turn on in a bag. I avoid this by reversing one of the batteries during transit, but a slider switch would be more suitable really.

Overall: Great value for money, looks good, works well. Very pleased!

Diary of a Digital Soundboy
Diary of a Digital Soundboy
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars HO-LY GOD!!!!!!, 12 Feb. 2006
Just WOOOOOWW!!!! This album is a DnB class act!!!
For me, it's way up there with Hold Your Colour and New Forms!!
Get it!

It'S All About The Stragglers
It'S All About The Stragglers
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll put it this way..., 22 Jan. 2006
Artful Dodger is truly what got me into music. When I started listening to these God-given tracks, it led to more garage, which led to house, which led to breakbeat, then Drum & Bass, and adding a few other genres...
Before showing myself this album, my music life was fruitless and empty. I believe it gave me the broad taste that I have, and I'll never EVER forget a single second of a single track of this impossibly amazing album. Buy it, or i'll buy your therapy.