Profile for Jan H > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Summer At Fairacre
Summer At Fairacre

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful story, 18 Sep 2014
What a delight to find Miss Read has made her way to kindle. I am very happy that the original drawings from the paper books are included in the kindle versions - they add to the charm and humour of these gentle stories. Not all e-books do this - I'm thinking particularly of the Lillian Beckwith Hebridean books, so much is lost without the drawings. I love the Village School series as it reminds me of how life used to be in reality as opposed to how life at this time, (1950s), is depicted in modern books and television programs which tend towards either grimness or syrupy sweetness. In the Miss Read books there is the peace and beauty of the countryside side by side with the frustration of lack of amenities and public transport; the joy of good neighbours alongside the irritations of living in a small community. I have read and re-read this over the years and will do so again.

Final Hours (Love in Time Book One)
Final Hours (Love in Time Book One)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good storyline, 7 Sep 2014
The storyline was good and as this book was free was certainly worth having. I enjoyed it but didn't really get into the characters. The girl particularly, having panic attacks one moment and risking all to save a stranger the next, didn't feel realistic to me. I am still unsure whether I will read further into the series. Still, I enjoyed it enough to download another free book by Cate Dean.

Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been told more quickly and simply and been more effective for it, 7 Sep 2014
I enjoyed the book and admire Ken's determination to both educate himself and live debt free. I didn't give it 5 stars though because my kindle registered 65% of the way through the book when Ken actually bought the van! I had almost given up by this stage - there was an awful lot of hitchhiking, low-pay jobbing and filler before getting to what I expected - vandwelling.

Live Well and Save
Live Well and Save

2.0 out of 5 stars Banal waste of my money, 26 Aug 2014
Nothing new in this book, I'm afraid, and I didn't like the writing style. Although the book is by Prudence Bell, the advice is given throughout by "we think", "we do this". Is this a royal "we"? There is no explanation as to what qualifies Prudence to advise on either living well or saving. I am no wiser after finishing the book as to whether she is a professional of some sort or has had some kind of life experience that led her to write this. This lack of personal information, for me, made the book flat and dull as well as banal. I didn't find any useful tips, far from it, I would hate to put honey anywhere near my hair. The last time I looked essential oils and Dr Bonner's soap, although nice, were too expensive to make it viable to use to make home toiletries. A good home brand is much more economical in my experience.

ENUFF: Eliminate the Needless, Useless, Foolish, and Frivolous
ENUFF: Eliminate the Needless, Useless, Foolish, and Frivolous

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quotes, 23 Aug 2014
I liked the quotes throughout. Not just another book about organizing the home and getting rid of clutter, or the tale of how the author did it. I enjoyed Kate's Lillabean & Bertabean, which are in poem form and very easy to read. This book is a little longer but equally thought provoking.

How to Start Out or Over on a Shoestring
How to Start Out or Over on a Shoestring

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical self-help book, 21 Aug 2014
Annie Jean Brewer's books are always practical, I've read others by her and never yet failed to gain at least one tip that has helped me. Her books have made me look at my spending habits and the 'stuff' I have allowed to accumulate over the years quite differently. I found it very liberating to be reminded of just how little people need to live, and live well at that.

Hearts Out Of Time: 6 Timeless Time Travel Romances (A History With Heart Collection)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 21 Aug 2014
I paid just 77p for this set of time travel romances which is superb value. I've read three so far and enjoyed them very much. Monique Martin's 'Out Of Time' was particularly good - a mystery, time travel and romance in one. I liked the New York, 1920's setting of this book too. Theresa Ragan's 'Return Of The Rose' was set in 15th Century England and combined mistaken identity with time travel - a nice twist. 'Everything In Its Time' by Dee Davis is about a modern American girl who slips back in time whilst visiting Scotland. I like the time travel theme and am looking forward to reading the other three stories.

Silentnight Deep Sleep Pillow Pair
Silentnight Deep Sleep Pillow Pair

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected better for the name, 6 Aug 2014
They do their purpose but are nothing special. I expected better for the name. That said, I'm sleeping alright on them, they have enough support without being hard. I don't feel any advantage in buying these over the generic/supermarket pillows I've bought in the past.

Dulux Trade Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint Magnolia 7.5 Litres
Dulux Trade Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint Magnolia 7.5 Litres
Offered by First Choice Hardware

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Aug 2014
Good quality external paint and I love the magnolia shade. I've used this before and will again.

Cry to Me (Original Soundtrack Theme from "Dirty Dancing")
Cry to Me (Original Soundtrack Theme from "Dirty Dancing")

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Aug 2014
Great song - good to be able to purchase it as a download.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6