Profile for David Bentley Newman > Reviews

Content by David Bentley ...

David Bentley Newman (Brisbane, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Inbetweeners: Series 2 [DVD]
The Inbetweeners: Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Bird
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars You just won't stop laughing!, 5 Jun 2014
I'm well into my mid 30's and despite the age, Inbetweeners still leaves me in stitches!

I know these guys get a bit of flack as being toilet humour but my word, do they do it well. Everyone I have put onto this brilliant TV series has come back with glowing reviews.

'Nuff said!

Don't Look Down
Don't Look Down
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful in every way!, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
I have to start off by saying that I was a little wary of this when I bought it though it retrospect I am extremely glad I did!

The vocals delivered on this album are sublime and you get the idea that this album had a good deal of heart poured into it. My only regret is that there could have been one or two more songs on board. That aside, Don't Look Down is a great record that I play on a constant basis.

The Best Of Bardot
The Best Of Bardot

2.0 out of 5 stars Hit and erm, miss, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Bardot (Audio CD)
There are a handful of decent songs on here but for the best part you find yourself skipping over tracks due to over production and simply that they are just poor songs.

I still play this album of collected songs on a semi regular basis but if this is the best of Bardot than I shudder to think of what her worst songs are like.

Scott 2
Scott 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Scott 2 (Audio CD)
If you have not yet purchased this album then you have to ask yourself why not? Once you realise you are a daft git for not owning it you can thankfully buy it here.

Scott Walker is one of the most important artists of the past 50 years and people who don't own his albums are missing out on something very special!

Palace
Palace
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but not brilliant!, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Palace (Audio CD)
I saw this band play live in 2011 as support for Suede at the Brixton Academy. Firstly, they reminded me a good deal of Joy Division which is the main reason I ended up buying this record.

Given a few listens you soon realise Chapel Club have their own identity and, despite the Joy Division and Wire references bestowed upon them, this band are offering something more.

You can be doing your CD collection a handy favour buy buying this album.

Concert - The Cure Live
Concert - The Cure Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Captured in glory!, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Concert - The Cure Live (Audio CD)
Here we have a brilliant Cure live recording that captures the true essence of the the band before they became semi-mainstream hit machine.

I love nothing more than playing this album on a cold, wet and windy evening whilst nibbling on some chocolate and drinking a cup of tea. In fact, I might just go and put it on again now despite the fact the weather is not optimal for my previously mentioned listening state.

Mind, most self respecting Cure fans already own this album so for the rest of you, click order right now!

A Kiss In The Dreamhouse
A Kiss In The Dreamhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning LP, 5 Jun 2014
I shall put it simply.

If you are a fan of the Banshees, yet don't own this album......buy it!

If you are not a fan or a curious music lover than simply put....buy this album!

Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction to its Own Past
Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction to its Own Past
by Simon Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling it how it is!, 5 Jun 2014
What has Simon Reynolds done with "Retromania"?

I'll tell you what he has done. It's taken a book like this to confirm what most of us knew all along but were too afraid to admit. Pop culture has hit a dead end with very few original ideas to take us forward. The biggest problem facing musician's of today is that they are no longer given a few albums to find their feet. If the first album flops they get punted by money hungry and unforgiving labels. We must remember that Bowie was a relative unknown until his 5th studio album.

Through the book Simon takes us on a journey that explains our obsession with all things retro. Too many media outlets are stuck in time warps and refuse to give new, progressive and talented artists a go because they don't have enough money making potential. He also covers, in great detail our general love for retro in the arts, fashion and pop culture in general.

Simon puts forward many arguments for and against each cause within. His writing leaves you in deep thought at times, questioning your very own standards.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It's time you ordered yourself a copy and got cracking on a jolly good read!

Berlin
Berlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad but not too great...., 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Berlin (Audio CD)
I have heard a great deal about this album over the years so I decided to pick up a copy.

The first few listens didn't really sink in and even now the album has not yet fully resided within my conscious thoughts. I have to "be in the mood" to pull it out and play and that mood does not come along too often.

Casual Reed fans may not be so keen but those wanting to dig a little deeper into his catalogue may very well want to hear this album.

Miles Davis: 20 Classic Albums [10CD] [Audio CD] Miles Davis
Miles Davis: 20 Classic Albums [10CD] [Audio CD] Miles Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Davis!, 21 Feb 2014
Once I began playing the discs of this handy box set it dawned on me that perhaps each album deserved its own individual disc? Whilst I can listen to Miles Davis all day long it was a bit frustrating that each disc had more than one album on it.

I would suggest this as a good starting point.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6