Profile for Timothy P. Ashurst > Reviews

Content by Timothy P. Ashurst

Timothy P. Ashurst (London)

Rienzi, Last of the Roman Tribunes
Rienzi, Last of the Roman Tribunes

5.0 out of 5 stars A painstakingly researched and exciting historical novel., 17 Aug. 2014
I first became aware of this book many years ago through Wagner's great opera based on it, and finally got round to reading it when I was given a Kindle as a birthday present.
Lytton writes in a soaring, grand, style, somewhat akin to the architecture of Ancient Rome, and goes to great lengths to provide the reader with the background historical facts underlying his treatment of the life of a remarkable character. The narrative never drags, and he holds the attention of his reader with a true mastery.

Scarlatti: The Keyboard Sonatas
Scarlatti: The Keyboard Sonatas

5.0 out of 5 stars Monument to Scarlatti and Ross, 13 Feb. 2010
This recording is an essential for any lover of the Baroque.
Ross here created, I feel, the yardstick recording by which any future Scarlatti cycle will be judged.
I cannot adequately review this performance, simply because any review would end up as a meaningless jumble of superlatives - everything about this recording is exactly as the most particular listener would want it. The accompanying notes are exhaustive and highly informative.
Listening to this, one cannot fail to be moved to sorrow that Ross did not live longer - but at least he left us this monument to Scarlatti's, and his own, genius.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 2:30 AM GMT

Bach: The Art of Fugue (Die Kunst der Fuge) /Tachezi
Bach: The Art of Fugue (Die Kunst der Fuge) /Tachezi

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine performance of Bach masterpiece, 13 Feb. 2010
This recording is a must for those who love the Art of Fugue. Tachezi has a wonderful clarity of playing, which ensures that none of the fine detail is missed by the listener. He accompanies the recording with a particularly interesting essay on the work, which explains his approach to it.
I bought this originally as a Christmas present for a friend,who is a Baroque organ music specialist of some standing and who introduced me to Tachezi's playing; having heard it, he told me that I had to go out and get it for myself, which I did.