Profile for Palmero > Reviews

Palmero (Belgium)

CATEYE Volt 300 Cycle Light
CATEYE Volt 300 Cycle Light
Offered by GsportsUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the led headlight my bike came equipped with, 15 Jan. 2015
True quality product, cannot fault it. I cycle every day in winter several kilometres through a totally dark wood, on unpaved tracks, and this light made all the difference. Much better than the led headlight my bike came equipped with. Not cheap but worth all the money. I have previously bought cheaper led lights, about a third of the price of the Cateye Volt 300, and my conclusion is that the Cateye is not 3, but many more times better. I now consider the cheaper ones a waste of money. 300 lumens is right for me, enough to see well even when not in full power mode, preferable over the more powerful lights other cyclists use that make them look like a lorry is approaching and dazzle everyone. Excellent battery, lasts more than a cheaper light with 3 or 4 AAA batteries producing less power. Came with a strap to attach it to the helmet, which gives you more control on where to look, and you need not worry about someone stealing it from your bike. Perfect for me, highly recommended.

Highlander Banff Waterproof Gloves - Black, Small
Highlander Banff Waterproof Gloves - Black, Small

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality so-so, 4 Dec. 2013
Good, warm gloves, quite waterproof (I use them for biking in winter). The one problem is that with relatively little use the seams linking the thumbs with the palms of the hands have quickly come undone in both gloves.

Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (20.2MP, 3.6x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (20.2MP, 3.6x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by iHD Lounge

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect camera except for an important flaw, 9 Aug. 2013
Best compact camera I have ever owned by far, as a complement to my DSLR. Like others, I found myself using my DSLR less and less, and my Sony more and more. Stunning image quality. Excellent video quality, with amazingly good microphones (except when windy). Lots of options and functionalities. Quality feel to it, a pleasure to handle. Small size, a real pocket camera.

But, in my experience, and after owning two Sony RX100 cameras, this is a camera with a major design flaw (at least some batches of it): it accumulates dust on the sensor with incredible ease. I have kept mine in a good case at all times except when shooting, never carried it in my pocket. I have never shot in particularly dusty environments. Apparently, it has to do with the lens mechanism, which sucks dust in as the lens extends. This is reported by several users, but not by all by any means. I came across this issue twice, after around 3 months of use. As with any other compact camera, you cannot just open it and clean the sensor yourself. Great shame. Not easy to think what to replace this camera with, if looking for similar image quality and size.

Were it not for the sensor dust problem, I would give it 5 stars without any hesitation. It was worth the initial price, and even more now that the price has dropped. However, the dust problem is important for me, for it is very noticeable at high f numbers and when making videos.

Amazon's response in my case could not have been better. Excellent service, as usual.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2015 8:39 AM BST

LEICKE Panasonic UJ-260 External Blu-Ray Disc Burner Writer Drive USB 3.0 BD-R XL 100 GB & BD-RE XL 100 GB Support / Successor Model to Panasonic UJ-240

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from perfect. Very mixed feelings., 2 Dec. 2012
I purchased this blu ray burner because of the good reviews. In the beginning, it would not do anything, neither read nor write. Just loads of noise and then silence. I tried it with 3 different computers. When I was thinking of sending it back, it finally managed to read and write something after making a more promising set of sounds. Since then, it has been a time-consuming business. When inserting a good BD disk (Panasonic or other top brand, by the way; make sure you get a good brand, otherwise things go wrong lots of times), 2 times out of 3 it says it cannot write to it because the disc is closed, and please insert a blank one. So, a lot of computer rebooting until it finally recognises it as a blank BD, and then it is usually possible to write to it (if the software does not crash, that is). In my experience, writing from computer hard disk and from USB key is more likely to be successful than writing from an external HD.

All in all, very mixed feelings. Once the stuff is on the blu ray disc, it is great and should be safe for many years to come. But to get there, lots of hours invested and some frustration too.

PS. No sign of Panasonic brand anywhere any more, not even a sticker. Just plain Leicke. The computer identifies it as Matshita, though, which should be Panasonic.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2013 11:53 AM GMT

Toshiba Satellite C855-18D 15.6-inch Laptop (Silver) (Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5/3.1GHz, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, USB 3.0, Windows 7 Home Premium)

3.0 out of 5 stars A fast computer with a few minuses, 21 Oct. 2012
This is the third Toshiba Satellite I have owned in the 12 years. The first one, bought in 2000, is still going strong, by the way, and so is the second. Hopefully, this one is also built to last. I use it for work, for writing documents and so on, not for watching videos or playing games, so I cannot comment on its performance for the latter.

Pros:

- Very fast computer. VERY fast. I guess it is the result of a good processor combined with 6 GB of RAM. So far, it exceeds my expectations. To me, this was one of the important aspects when deciding on the purchase.
- 1 USB 3.0
- 1 HDMI port
- Wifi works like a charm.

Cons:

- The screen is a bit of a letdown. In keeping with the fashion, it is very long (fine by me) and narrow (not fine). What you really get out of the 15.6 inch screen is 34.5 cm x 19.5 cm. I find the vertical narrowness annoying and quite limiting for some applications (e.g. photo viewing), but you get used to it. The screen is all shiny and works as a fairly efficient mirror if you have the light coming from behind you, but this is the way they make them (all?) nowadays.
- So far, I am quite unimpressed with battery life, though it may improve as it is a new computer. This is not a big issue for me, but it may be important for others. I am getting about 4 hours of battery life using the computer just to write text (with wifi on). The battery indicator data on remaining time is very unreliable.
- The sound is awful. Much worse than in older Satellite versions. Maybe it is the price to pay for making these machines thinner and lighter. It is described as "Premium audio experience for music", "Immersive surround sound" and "Crystal clear dialogue and deep, rich bass". I would describe it as squeaky sounds coming out two remote tiny tin cans.
- The "built-in DVD SuperMulti drive" works fine so far, but the latch is so tiny and so awkwardly placed, that I am pretty sure that 99% of people will need to tilt or lift the laptop, if it is on a table, to be able to open the drive.
- They could have thrown in an extra USB port. There are 3 in all. As I have it, one is taken by the external mouse, another one by a USB key, and you are left with one free (though you can always use a cheap USB hub if you need more).
- As usual for PC computers, count on spending several hours when you first set it up, particularly if you, like me, hate receiving many of the extra warnings, offers, possibilities, reminders, bundled programmes, unwanted things popping up all the time, etc. that characterise the Windows environment, and also if you want to record recovery DVDs (these things do not come included any more).

Bosch AHS 7000 Pro-T Electric Hedgecutter (70 cm Blade, 34 mm Tooth Capacity)
Bosch AHS 7000 Pro-T Electric Hedgecutter (70 cm Blade, 34 mm Tooth Capacity)

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended product, weight not an issue for me, 30 Jun. 2012
Some background. I have about 200 metres of oldish privet hedge to cut, height ranging from 2 to 4 metres.

I moved from a good brand petrol engine hedgecutter to the Bosch AHS 7000 PRO-T for one reason: I had had enough of breathing fumes and getting headaches or feeling odd as a result.

- Advantages of the petrol hedgecutter: no power chord to mind, which also means you get the job done a bit faster.
Advantages of the Bosch AHS 7000: no fumes. Blade length. Quick-stop blade brake increases safety (i.e. blades stop moving as soon as you withdraw one of your hands from the power switch levers.

I had read previous reviews, with several people commenting on the weight of the AHS 7000. I even considered getting the 600, 650 or 6000 models to have a lighter machine. In the end, I am glad I went for the 7000 model. The weight difference with the 6000 is about 100 grams, i.e. negligible. I quite like the long blade, for it allows to reach further and higher without having to lean over dangerously. It also means you have to move your ladder less, if you have a tall hedge. The hedgecutter is powerful enough to be able to cut through thick privet along the full length of the blade effortlessly.

I am a man, rather lightly built. I just worked on my hedge for three-and-a-half hours, and the weight of the hedgecutter was not an issue at all for me, though it may be for other people.

I would have given the Bosch AHS 7000 5 stars were it not for a couple of minor issues:

1. The power switch levers are a little bit less responsive than I would have liked, which means I often found myself pressing two at a time without any action, having to press again for something to happen.
2. It is a noisy machine after all, not much better than the petrol version. Admittedly there is quite a length of blade to move, but up to 100 dB is not particularly neighbour friendly. Needless to say, ear protectors are a must.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed jack, 28 Feb. 2012
As several other customers have said, the L-shaped jack is a major design flaw. Mine stopped working after 2 months of very carefu use, i.e. no pulling of cords, not putting mp3 player in pockets and so on. They look brand new, nothing visible from outside, but no sound is produced. Great shame for a good brand. Sound is good for news, not great for music. Not recommended at all, buy something else.

Daniel Stein, Interpreter
Daniel Stein, Interpreter
by Ludmila Ulitskaya

3.0 out of 5 stars An ambitious novel about an interesting character and his world, 16 Jan. 2012
Modern book reviews often contain such words as "gripping", "unputdownable", etc. I would not say "Daniel Stein, Interpreter", is unputdownable. I put it down lots of times, though I knew I would read it until the end of its very many pages. This book is easy to put down, among other things, because it consists of hundreds of short chapters, a collection of assorted documents, personal letters, diary entries, conversations, speeches, etc. written or recorded by a myriad of characters, encompassing over half a century and several countries, mostly in Eastern Europe, Israel and the US.

All this material comes together to give us a picture of Daniel Stein, a Polish Jew who found himself working for the Gestapo while saving hundreds of Jews by helping them escape from a ghetto before the scheduled day of their murder; Daniel then had a stint with the Soviet partisans and later with the NKVD before going back to Poland to become a Catholic priest, finally settling down in Israel to preach to, among others, a Catholic Israeli Arab.

Daniel Stein's character is based on a real human being who died a few years ago. An enigmatic character, apparently simple and transparent, and yet, for me, difficult to grasp on the basis of this novel, to understand his conversion and his ultimate motivation, other than having a drive to become some sort of naive unorthodox saint, who regularly upsets the religious establishments with his heretical views. Plus an "interpreter" seeking to facilitate communication among the various creeds.

But this novel is not only about Daniel Stein. It contains an analysis of the interplay of some of the world's major religions, both now and in their beginnings: Christianity in its various forms, Judaism, Islam and even Buddhism. I must admit I do not know enough about religion to be able to appreciate the rigour of this part of the novel, though it is clear that substantial research has gone into it. Likewise, people with greater knowledge of Judaism than me will understand some references that I surely missed or cannot fathom. Is a Jew who has embraced another religion still a Jew? It would seem that this novel is also about stating the right of Jews to believe in Christ.

It also contains glimpses into the lives and concerns of many of the ghetto survivors, expressed through detailing their multiple interactions around the globe. This occupies much of the book, and I found it to be of varying interest.

When labouring through this novel, you feel the weight of recent European history right on your shoulders. It is very informative, and likely to contain interesting new elements for people who have an average knowledge of facts linked to Judaism and the Holocaust.

I have recommended this novel to some people who I thought may appreciate it. Not an easy read, but ultimately a largely rewarding one

The Ultimate Guide to Digital Nature Photography
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Nature Photography
by The Mountain Trail Photo Team

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for beginners, 26 Jun. 2009
If you are to believe what's said in the various introductions to this book, then it should change the way you photograph nature. I am afraid it does not come up to expectations, at least not for me.
A jack of all trades, master of none. A few (and I mean few) pages on light, a few on composition, a few on macro, a few on exposure, and so on, therefore staying at a superficial level.
Mind you, wonderful inspirational pictures to illustrate it all, taken by people who are masters at nature photography, but again, lacking sufficient technical explanations or details to be really useful (mostly no indications of speed, diaphragm, ISO, lens used).
My verdict: as a first comprehensive approach to the subject, particularly for beginners, this book is fine. As the "ultimate" guide, I have serious doubts, and will probably stick to more specific / narrower subject books.