Profile for abozo > Reviews

Content by abozo

abozo "me" (Leics, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Vaughan Williams, James MacMillan: Oboe Concertos (Winner of the BBC Music Magazine Premiere Award 2016)

5.0 out of 5 stars A sublime serving of British music, 19 April 2016
This has been one of my favourite music purchases of the year, though I purchased it elsewhere as a 24/88.2 download, which sounds stunning on a good HiFi.

The very approachable Vaughan Williams concerto is the highlight on first listening. I've always thought of the first movement as a beautiful development of his Lark Ascending theme, twenty years on. Nicholas Daniel treats the whole concerto with all of the respect and emotion that it so fully deserves. It's clear that he knows this music like the back of his hand. This is the best performance of this work that I have ever heard.

I am not qualified to review James MacMillan's music but suffice to say that after many listens I keep coming back to these superb works. I enjoy the rhythm and complexity as much as the emotion that this interesting modern composer describes in this music. Listen to the oboe concerto's Largo - just incredible emotion to raise the hairs on your neck. Again, Nicholas Daniel's performance of this seemingly-impossible-to-play music is incredible.

My only slight gripe about this release would be the companion Britten piece. Maybe it's just not my cuppa but to me it seems frivolous after what has gone before, though I do enjoy the final movement. Even though there is an obvious pastoral theme running through all of this music, I could have happily ended on the MacMillan. And that is how I usually listen to it.

Highly recommended music and performances, coupled with excellent recording quality.

Unwins Herb Kitchen Garden Kit
Unwins Herb Kitchen Garden Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough compost, 26 Mar. 2015
Similar to other reviewers, despite the pots being small, I had to go out and buy more compost, which sort of defeats the concept of an all-in-one kit.

But the seeds have germinated well and after three weeks, it's all looking good.

I think it's cheaper and possibly more effective to buy mature plants (£1 each from the supermarket) and a plastic watering tray, so long as you use BabyBio herb to feed the mature plants, The ones from the supermarket don't last long unless you fertilize them.

I suppose as a gift this is fun, but it's a little disappointing.

Samsung EB595675LU Battery for Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 (Non-Retail Packaging)
Samsung EB595675LU Battery for Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 (Non-Retail Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing, 13 Mar. 2015
Bought to replace original battery for >2 year old Note 2.

This new battery lasts well over a day with intensive phone usage.

I can't notice any difference from the original battery, which leads me to believe that this really is a genuine Samsung battery.

PortaPow Crystal 4 Port USB Travel Charger with Interchangeable Plug
PortaPow Crystal 4 Port USB Travel Charger with Interchangeable Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Great charger, 23 Jan. 2015
Pros:
- Fast charging for tablets and phones
- Convenience of charging up to 4 devices simultaneously in one place
- Combined with separately available coloured USB cables, easy to tell which device is charging
- Travel adapters could be useful for some
- Very quiet

Cons:
- Charging LEDs could be considered intrusive at night, though no problem for me

I've bought one of these before so I knew that they are very good.

Only oddity with my new one is that my tablet tells me that it is charging slowly if use the dedicated iPad outlet, but if I use any of the others, I get no notification of slow charge and my tablet charges quickly. Unfortunately I am not able to compare with the older one but I'm sure it worked the opposite way, as would be expected. (EDIT: See PortaPow's comments below for an explanation, which in summary is that the iPad output is designed specifically for iPads, not other tablets.)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2015 1:02 PM GMT

Ring Cyba-Lite LED Headlamp
Ring Cyba-Lite LED Headlamp

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, works well, not quite bright enough for me, 23 Nov. 2014
Bought for running to work and back across rough ground, in the dark.

Bright enough in complete darkness, but not in dusk/dawn.

Stays on my head quite well and adjusts up and down well.

Good for the price but I think I will keep looking for a brighter one.

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swimming Goggles
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swimming Goggles

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, fit and value, 23 Nov. 2014
Great for lots of lengths. Comfortable, seal well, no leaks, clear vision. Best I've had so far. Recommended.

Dexshell Coolvent Lite Waterproof & Breathable Socks (Large UK 9-11)
Dexshell Coolvent Lite Waterproof & Breathable Socks (Large UK 9-11)
Offered by Trail Adventure Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wet running shoes. Dry feet., 10 Nov. 2014
Bought for running four miles to work and then home again, daily, mostly through long, usually wet grass.

I ordered a size Large and the fit my UK shoe size 9 feet well. I suspect the guide (Large UK 9-11) is spot on.

They feel a little strange when putting them on for the first time, but that was forgotten immediately when I put on my running shoes. Perhaps they are a little long for running, but they can be folded down easily.

My shoes get soaking wet very quickly on my runs across the common (long wet grass). My feet now stay completely dry and comfy.

For me it's a perfect solution and I will be ordering more.

New Horrizon Black Anti-slip Comfort Mouse Pad Mat with Gel Foam Rest Wrist Support (Retail Packing)
Offered by NewHorrizon

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought this one looked like an identical replacement, 7 Nov. 2014
I've used a similar mat for the past 4 years, since I had an operation to fix RSI complaints. After 4 years of being used 40hrs/week the gel wrist support was starting to dip in the middle. I thought this one looked like an identical replacement.

But it is inferior in every way. That was obvious as soon I saw it "in the flesh."

It's slightly smaller overall, the gel support is smaller and lower, the mat is thinner and lighter, the backing isn't as non-slip. In fact, I've gone back to the old one as its now-depressed gel support is still higher than this new one.

I suppose it's not a bad product for the price. A colleague has snapped it up. But I see that after only a week of his use, the gel support is already depressed. I'll keep looking for a higher quality replacement.

Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For 26 - 55 inch TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 400mm x 400mm (Please check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, clever design, easy to fit, useful adjustments., 30 Oct. 2014
I bought this to fix my Samsung Series 6, 40" TV to a masonry wall.

I took my time to fit it, thinking and measuring very carefully along the way but it was actually very easy to fit, requiring a drill, a socket set (or spanner), a screwdriver and a spirit level. Just remember that the position that the bracket fits onto the wall is offset from where the centre of the TV will be, due to the design. However, this is obvious when you "offer up" the bracket to the wall in its fully compressed state.

All fittings that might possibly be required appear to be supplied. The bolts and plugs that fit into the wall are of high quality. They made me very confident that the bracket will easily hold the weight of a TV much larger than my 40" set.

I was content (and surprised!) that I had fitted the bracket onto the wall perfectly level. But once I hung the TV on the bracket, the TV looked very slightly out of level, which initially disappointed and irritated me. However, I quickly discovered that it is very easy to make small "rotation" adjustments, by loosening a couple of screws on the TV side of the bracket and rotating the TV either clockwise or anti-clockwise, so my TV is now perfectly level. That was a "phew!" moment. It's a clever design.

Once on the wall, the TV can either sit very close against the wall or be pulled out and angled left or right using the cantilever arm. If offers a considerable amount of adjustment for viewing positions. My TV is possibly a little small for my room so the bracket allows me to bring the TV closer to me temporarily then pushed back when not in use.

Plastic clip-on covers are provided for each metal "arm" of the bracket, which allow for cable management.

This is a high quality, well thought out product.

One day I will have to hang another TV in another room and I won't consider buying any bracket other than this one. I'm tempted to buy another one now in case these disappear from the market.

15m Loud Speaker Cable OFC Oxygen Free Copper 5mm 521 strand Studio Grade by ASCL
Offered by Aerials, Satellites & Cables Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality. Excellent value., 30 Oct. 2014
I bought this to wire up an 5.1 AV system but I couldn't resist trying it on my Hi-Fi stereo system too.

Its relatively heavy gauge makes it useful for longer runs.

In my comparisons, on my stereo system (Cyrus, Hypex, Audiovector) I found this cable to be as good as the Chord, Van Damme, QED cables that I have. In fact, I prefer it to some very expensive cables, which I can now sell on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6