Profile for MatsumotoBonBon > Reviews

Time, Love and Tenderness
Time, Love and Tenderness
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Michael Bolton fan, 15 Jun. 2015
I'll be honest with you, I love his music. I do. I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

Sanyo ECJ-FS50UK Petit Gourmet Multi Function Slow Cooker
Sanyo ECJ-FS50UK Petit Gourmet Multi Function Slow Cooker

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect results every time, 14 Oct. 2010
When I returned to the UK from a period living in Japan, one of the things I really missed was the convenience and consistently good cooking results of a timer-controlled rice cooker.

Initially, I bought a cheaper rice cooker of the type commonly available on the UK market - round in shape, with a really large pot and a loose-fitting glass lid. However, the results were poor, and I often had slightly burned or hard rice, not to mention the mess it made on the kitchen worktop.

Suitably fed up, I went on the hunt for a proper rice cooker like the one I owned when I lived in Japan, and found this one. It's brilliant - the rice comes out perfectly cooked every time, and it functions pretty well as a slow cooker for stews and the like too.

The price point may put some people off, but if you eat rice most days of the week (as I do) then I don't think you can consider it expensive for the amount of pleasure it will give you.

Visions
Visions
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected treat!, 13 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
This album came as an unexpected surprise to me, as I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it is. To me, the most obvious reference point for comparison is Air's chill-out classic 'Moon Safari'. In places, 'Visions' shares the same laid-back feel of that album, and moreso manages to do so without the 'Last of the Summer Wine' overtones (listen to 'Ce Matin La' and tell me you don't hear that too!) of Air's album. 'Visions' doesn't stop at a brief safari on the moon, and probes further out into the universe.
From first track to last, there's a definite air of tension that comes through from this album, something that puts me in mind of black-and-white films of empty beaches under cloudy skies. Even the dancier tracks ('My Vision', 'American Dream' and 'Ride the Storm') fit with this mood, and that's what makes this album work for me. Personally I'm getting a bit fed up with some of the brainless dance music that's pumped out these days.
Top song on this album has to be 'One Fine Day' - simply a beautiful piece of music. If you think it sounds similar to Air's 'You Make It Easy', that's because Beth Hirsch's heavenly vocals grace both songs. Wonderful stuff.

Dead Famous
Dead Famous
by Ben Elton

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ben yet, 23 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Dead Famous (Paperback)
Of the half dozen or so Ben Elton books that I have read, this is the best by quite some distance. I've always felt that reality television is creepy, and so I sympathise with the point of view that Elton conveys in the story.
The world he creates is not so far away from today's, and just a couple of steps short that of "Series 7 - The Contenders" (a film that I can't recommend highly enough). It's a story along a similar theme as Popcorn, dealing with the continuous pushing back of the boundaries of what it's acceptable for the media to broadcast. Elton's juxtaposition of stuffy, old-fashioned policeman Coleridge with the mindless, self-obsessed 20-somethings of the TV show highlights how much has changed in no more than a few decades.
It's a real page-turner. Having read the blurb before buying the book, you're obviously already going to be aware that there's a murder in a reality gameshow, but three quarters of the story lies between Elton re-stating that on page one of the story, and revealing who the victim is. I therefore spent as much time wondering about the identity of the victim as that of the murderer.
The two most important scenes of the story are handled well. The whole lead-up to the night of the murder still leaves me with a slightly uneasy feeling when I think of it - I can picture the scene in my mind so clearly. Likewise, the final act captures the drama worthy of the revealed truth. Maybe I was just being a bit thick, but I didn't work out who the murderer was until I saw it written there on the page.
Another thing I love about this book is the way he parodies the insincere, meaningless drivel of today's "yoof TV". Everyone is described as "brave" or "strong" or something equally inappropriate with such frequency that the terms become completely devalued.

Together Alone
Together Alone
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars So much atmosphere crammed onto such a small disc ..., 27 July 2001
This review is from: Together Alone (Audio CD)
If you asked the average person to name a Crowded House song, I think they'd probably choose something from Woodface, and in this respect Together Alone could be viewed as a poor relation.
Indeed, Woodface was in many ways a contemporary pop classic that offered some evocative, lyrically-clever songs, but for me Together Alone towers high above it. The crisp, pop-style production of previous albums is replaced by a compelling atmosphere and moodiness that permeates what was Crowded House's final studio album.
If you've never listened to Crowded House before, or were put off by their previous offerings, leave your mind open to this album because it is truly captivating. Spine-tingling moments abound, notably in the wonderful 'Nails In My Feet', opening track 'Kare Kare' and 'Walking On The Spot', with a slightly more familiar Crowded House sound in 'In My Command' and 'Locked Out'.
Despite the fact that this album is now eight years old, it still inhabits a time and a mood all of its own, somewhere in a dreamland at the edge of the world.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2013 10:24 AM GMT