Profile for Dan Adams > Reviews

Content by Dan Adams

Dan Adams

The World Crisis 1911-1918 (Penguin Classics)
The World Crisis 1911-1918 (Penguin Classics)
by Winston Churchill
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the most incredible book, 13 Dec 2013
I listened to the unabridged audiobook on long commutes. After 5 hours driving and listening I would park up on my drive and continue listening. Delving into the mind of a great man of our own culture of this time was rewarding and fascinating. His unashamed love and criticism of his English and British heritage was refreshing when compared to our trivial and cynical modern culture. An astonishing book.

Dragon Dictate 2.0 for Mac (Mac)
Dragon Dictate 2.0 for Mac (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 4 May 2011
I bought the original version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking to use on a PC about five years ago and I thought it was pretty good then. Now a Mac user I thought I would give this a go because I'm writing a lot of reports for work. I am surprised how good this software is having just received it through the post from Amazon this morning. I did 5 min training then wrote a third of a page of a four text into a Word document and there wasn't a single error. I'm also dictating this review using it and unless I've missed something there isn't a single error or need for editing in this either. I'm using an iMac Quad core, one-year-old with 4 GB of memory and I suspect that this is half the reason for the effectiveness of the software. It is likely that most of the reviewers who are having problems with the software are not speaking clearly or speaking with a heavy regional accident (Ahh first error!, I said accent not accident) but I am trying very hard to speak clearly and enunciating words properly! In summary: if you do a lot of typing and you have a reasonably clear voice this software is an absolute godsend.

A Journey
A Journey
by Tony Blair
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely fascinating, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: A Journey (Hardcover)
I have never liked Tony Blair, never liked Labour and marched against the War. I bought this book from a desire understand why Labour and particularly Tony Blair governed as they did. I could not put the book down and found it genuinely fascinating both as an insight into politics and also the role of the prime minister in modern Britain. Blair is very different from the man I was expecting and a far better man than I would have guessed. Although still against the war, he had by the end convinced me there was an argument both ways. Whilst I consider myself objective, I admit I felt a bit of shame that I definitely fell into the camp that has allowed itself to be led by media opinion of individuals rather than seriously considering a politicians argument on its merits. His reflection on the negative way the media influences politics and public opinion is spot on and this really must change. A lot of reviewers have criticised the personal style the book is written in and in normal circumstances I might agree. However A journey is such a good read that this becomes irrelevant and actually really helps to get inside the mind of a man who is making decisions with historic and grave consequences every day. The analysis of the relationships within the Labour Party is also particularly intriguing. Most of the negative reviews on this site do seem to come at the book with an agenda and also I suspect have not read the entire book or even some of it. Certainly for me it has changed my whole perspective of the New Labour years and its principle architects and is more informative than one hundred second-rate history books on the subject. To sum up, if you have any serious interest in Great Britain and Northern Ireland and its future, this is a book that should definitely be read.
Comment Comments (37) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2013 1:14 PM GMT