Profile for Sam Harrison > Reviews

Chocolate
by Molly Bakes
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Chocolate (Hardcover)
I'm an avid baker and have recently got into chocolate making. I must have every baking/dessert/sweet making book possible and this is one of the best I've added to my collection recently. The images are stunning and the recipes easy to follow. So far I've made the orange and lavender truffles, the ultimate chocolate cake and the toffee slab. Each recipe worked perfectly and tasted divine. The book even has recommendations for the best cooking chocolate to use which you can even buy in your local supermarket as well as suppliers of equipment. I found the intro pages really interesting to read (history of chocolate, how it's made) and helped me understand more about this magic ingredient. I'm really glad I got this. Highly recommended!!!

World's Best Cocktails: 500 Couture Cocktails from the World's Best Bars and Bartenders
by Tom Sandham
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Feb 2014
This is a great book, it's enormous and full of what seems like 1000s of recipes. Some very unique ones and some very unusual as well as variations on all the classics. It's quite overwhelming deciding what to make so best to take your time. I love getting it out when I have guests over for a dinner party then we make each other cocktails.

Rococo: Mastering the Art of Chocolate
Rococo: Mastering the Art of Chocolate
by Jo Berry
Price: 28.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 14 Feb 2014
Beautifully presented book which comes in its own box. So far have made the chocolate salami which was really easy and delicious. Can't wait to make more as I'm an avid baker and have just started getting into chocolate.

Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner
Vax S6 Home Master Steam Cleaner
Price: 86.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 14 Feb 2014
Good value steam cleaner. Does the job. It has lots of different cleaning heads which is really useful for getting into nooks and crannies. It's actually really fun to use, makes cleaning enjoyable if ever there was such a thing!

Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope
Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope
Price: 155.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 14 Feb 2014
Excellent telescope, I bought it as a gift and they loved it. Lots of features and easy to use. Just need a few more starry nights.

LaCie P'9220 USB 3.0/ USB 2.0 500GB Porsche Design Mobile Drive
LaCie P'9220 USB 3.0/ USB 2.0 500GB Porsche Design Mobile Drive
Price: 50.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working, 14 Feb 2014
After a month this hard drive just stopped working. I stored stuff on it once and now it's pretty much useless.

Miette Bakery Cookbook: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
Miette Bakery Cookbook: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
by Miette Cakes
Price: 12.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book by it's cover, 7 Nov 2011
That will teach me, I was eyeing up this book for months based on the delicious looking cake on the cover. Silly me. It's a little disappointing really, none of the recipes are that special and it has alot of mistakes in it! Having said that it's a very pretty book that will forever sit on my coffee table.

Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
by Gesine Bullock-Prado
Price: 18.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 7 Nov 2011
This is a stunning book and the recipes are fab. I can't believe the things you can do with sugar! I used to be scared of doing anything other than baking with the sweet stuff but this book has taught me everything I need to know!

Baked in America: The generous art of brownies, cupcakes, whoopies, muffins and more
by David Muniz
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to bake everything in here!, 7 Aug 2011
I was so impressed with this book. The authors clearly have such passion for baking and share everything with you. I love the intros and all the tips and techniques and history pages, it's great that it's not just a load recipes with no thought behind them (unlike some of the other baking books that have been released recently). Beautiful images too. My only wish is that every recipe had an image so you could see what the end result would be but otherwise it's packed full of good recipes. It's a truly American baking book but the conversions are on each recipe page which is great.

Cox Cookies & Cake
Cox Cookies & Cake
by Elton John

2.0 out of 5 stars All style no substance, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
This book tries very hard to be different but fails on all levels. The recipes are mediocre and nothing special. The photography is ugly to look at and makes a mockery out of baking. The only good thing is that there's lots of explanations on making decorations and a decent list of suppliers. There is nothing sexy about this book, it is tacky and overall not very inspiring. Just a cheap marketing ploy by two "celebs" who want to make a quick buck out of the baking boom.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2012 11:00 AM BST