Profile for Mrs. J. Ireson > Reviews

Content by Mrs. J. Ireson

Mrs. J. Ireson (Bedfordshire, UK)

Classic Knits (Erika Knight Collectables)
Classic Knits (Erika Knight Collectables)
by Erika Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars Home baking, 18 Aug. 2007
Having read the other reviews here I feel moved to redress the balance with some words of praise. This is a knitwear book entitled Classics - and that is exactly what you get. I have knitted a few of the patterns already (the 'mademoiselle' jacket, deep-v sweater and the kelly cardigan) and found the instructions very clear. I am delighted with the results. Yes, I could go to Jigsaw, or Toast et al and buy similar garments, saving myself a bit of time and effort; but then, one could argue that about every cookery book on the market - why bake a cake when you can just buy one and save on the washing up?
In short, this is a lovely collection of highly wearable knitwear designs, beautifully photographed and styled, with clear and accurate knitting patterns.

Simply Baby: 20 Special Handknits for Baby's First Two Years
Simply Baby: 20 Special Handknits for Baby's First Two Years
by Debbie Bliss

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful baby knits made childsplay, 4 Jan. 2007
I haven't knitted since I was a Brownie Guide (over twenty years ago!) but this book and my impending motherhood have enticed me to dust off my old knitting needles. It was the gorgeous photographs that initially caught my eye but it was the wide variety of designs that made me buy it. Unlike other books I've looked at, which only contained one or two designs I would consider making, this book is terrific value. There are at least ten patterns that I'd like to knit in this book and because the sizes range from 0 to 24 months I'll have plenty of time to do so before my little 'un grows too big. I suspect I will be knitting some of the patterns more than once.

The first design I've knitted is the Cable Blanket and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I have never attempted a cable knit before (and worried that I was being too ambitious for my abilities) but I found the instructions really easy to follow and the techniques section at the front with illustrations was really helpful and made it all clear.

I'm now trying to decide whether to make the cute Wee Willie Winkie Hat or the pretty lacy Matinee Jacket for my next project...