Profile for Allan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Girl Missing
Girl Missing

4.0 out of 5 stars This One Has Got Me Hooked, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Girl Missing (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book by Tess Gerritsen that I have read, the author having been recommended by a friend. I thought that I would start with her first book and was prepared for it to be less than bestseller quality as the author honed her skills. Instead I got a top quality thriller that I found difficult to put down and finished quickly. I am now going to be working my way through her catalogue.
I have never watched Rizzoli and Isles on TV but shall be reading all the books now.

Gardman Cast Iron Beetle Boot Jack
Gardman Cast Iron Beetle Boot Jack
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Boot Jack That Really Works, 19 Jan. 2014
This boot jack has lived outside our kitchen door, in all weathers, for 2 years. It isn't quite as shiny as when new but is still in excellent shape without a trace of corrosion. What's even better is that it really works. I can come back from walking the dogs with very muddy boots, slip a heel in the jaws, tread on the body and pull the boots off very easily. Just what I wanted it to do.

Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jeans, Onewash, W31/L32
Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jeans, Onewash, W31/L32

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the real deal, 19 Jan. 2014
I've been wearing Levi's for over 40 years (no, I'm not Jeremy Clarkson!). I started with 751s but, when they became harder to come by, switched to 501s about 15 years ago. I read the reviews before buying, including the ones suggesting that these may be fakes but decided to go ahead knowing that Amazon would handle returns well. I'm delighted with my purchase. These are well made, well fitting Levi's and in fact better than some I've bought from Levi's stores (where I've had twisted leg seams). They are the weighty material that I would expect and have retained their fit after about 3 washes so far. I've tried a couple of other brands but always go back to Levi's because I'm most comfortable in them and they keep on going for years.

Faithfull SDS Drill 20MM X 150Wl X 210MM
Faithfull SDS Drill 20MM X 150Wl X 210MM

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough bit at a good price., 6 Oct. 2013
I've been using this bit to drill into tough stone walls. It has performed well and is still doing what it is intended for.

Makita 8391DWPETK 18 V Cordless Combi Drill with Accessory Set, 101 pc.
Makita 8391DWPETK 18 V Cordless Combi Drill with Accessory Set, 101 pc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cordless Drill Kit, 6 Oct. 2013
I borrowed a Makita 18V Cordless drill from a friend when my cheap old drill did not have the torque or battery life to be useful. I liked it so much I looked for one myself. I was tempted by the Li-ion version but a second battery was so expensive that I plumped for this one and paid the little extra to get all the bits, driver etc. I am so pleased that I did. The full case is a little heavy but nearly all my drilling and fixing needs are met with the one kit and held together securely. The batteries charge quickly and last well in use. With the two batteries I have never found myself in the position where I am waiting for one to charge before I can get on with a job. I've drilled in stone, concrete, oak and steel with this and driven screws into tough timber too, all with no problem. The drill is comfortable to hold and well balanced. It has a sturdy feel to it but remains light enough to be used in awkward places. If you are after a quality DIY drill set, look no further. The pricing on Amazon is pretty keen too.

MATTRESS COVER Double / King / Superking for Moving or Storage (Large Polythene bag). It is manufactured to the standard required by Removal Companies and is sufficiently strong for normal use.
Offered by Mooveit Packaging Supplies ®

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for moving home or storage, 24 May 2013
I've used this mattress cover to protect a mattress when moving home and then to store it free from dust. It fits a double mattress easily and, as long as you are reasonably careful, is robust enough to protect against transit marks.

Terrapin ® Anti Glare Screen Protector (6 in 1 pack) for Apple iPad 2 (2011)/ iPad 3 (2012) 9.7 inch screen
Offered by ClickJunkie

5.0 out of 5 stars A must to protect your iPad, 21 May 2013
A surprisingly good value pack of screen protectors for the iPad which do not interfere with the touch screen. They are long lasting (six months so far but in need of replacement now) and easy to fit. Some protectors like this can suffer from bubbles but they are easy to eliminate on these. The matt finish eliminates glare nicely. I hope they make them to fit TomToms as mine needs a new protector now.

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with World Maps (66 Countries) (discountinued by manufacturer)
Offered by LCD & Plasma Service GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best on the market, 21 May 2013
I bought this device to replace my TomTom Go 720 which seemed to have been zapped by Paris airport radar. I was only after European mapping but the world mapping variant was cheaper on Amazon at the time. The screen is easy to see and the TomTom controls are easy to use. The device finds your start location quickly (as long as you update 'GPS Quickfix' regularly) and plans efficient routes. The live traffic updates are a real boon and I have avoided several hours of being stuck in traffic in France and UK when it warns of jams ahead and offers new routes. I have been able to verify the existence of the jams from news reports at the time or later. The speed camera warnings are fairly reliable (but don't rely on them to avoid tickets). If you stray off the planned route it replans quickly. The advanced lane guidance is very helpful when negotiating unknown motorway junctions. The POIs are very handy for finding the nearest petrol stations, car parks etc. I've owned or used 5 different TomToms over the years and this is the best yet. My only niggle is that TomTom seem to build in the minimum memory for the maps and when they issue the next update, the files are larger forcing you to use an expansion card or reduce to a map zone. If you do buy this device, please take part in data sharing so that information on your journey can help inform the rest of us of delays on route.

SanDisk SDSDQM-004G-B35 4 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Card (Label May Change)
SanDisk SDSDQM-004G-B35 4 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Card (Label May Change)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well priced high capacity memory card, 21 May 2013
I bought this micro SDHC card as expansion memory for my TomTom device. It works well and there is no discernable slow down in the device. Its a card, it works, it was well priced. What more can I say?

Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW - Black
Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Pefect fit for my camera and long zoom, 21 May 2013
I'm using this case to carry my Canon EOS 550D with a Tamron 70-300 mm AF lens fitted with lens hood reversed. As to be expected from Lowepro, the case is lightweight but tough and well designed. The camera and lens fit snugly with the camera strap (Canon remote attached) folded on top. The inner lid pouch will carry a spare memory card or two whilst the front pocket fits a spare battery, computer connection lead and my iPad connection adapter comfortably. I can carry a mini tripod in the side elasticated straps and, if necessary, clip another lens pouch to the D ring. There is a rain cover tucked into the back. The strap is wide enough to be comfortable to carry over the shoulder and easily adjustable for length. I am very happy with my purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4