Profile for Brewsty Bear > Reviews

Interstella 5555 [DVD] [2003]
Interstella 5555 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Daft Punk

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 26 Nov. 2011
What makes this DVD so special?

You rarely watch a film with no dialogue whatsoever, and this is one of those rarities - but what is ever rarer, in any type of film, is that it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster - stopping and taking a break at each emotion on the way! The CD 'Discovery' is a masterpiece in itself, but as an animated film it works oh so perfectly. Let me make it very clear as well that I'm not really a fan of animation either, and it's the first full-length animated film I've ever sat down and watched, but this movie is for anyone. Not just for Anime fans, not just for Daft Punk fans, anyone can enjoy it.

I don't think there's much else that I can add, other then go out and buy it, it will be money well spent, and one of the most influential 68 minutes of motion-pictured-awesomeness!

What Happened to Soho?
What Happened to Soho?

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Happened To All The Reviews?!?, 26 Nov. 2011
This review is from: What Happened to Soho? (Audio CD)
I'm somewhat suprised to be the first to review the debut EP from the DJ/MC duo that are the Correspondents.

Mr Bruce and Mr Chuckles are a London based duo that have exploded onto the UK music scene, tickling the belly of many different genres to produce something very interesting. The main influences appear to be Hip-Hop, Electro and Swing, and the outcome is both refreshing and unique. It's the kind of music that can make you want to get up and throw some shapes in the middle of a dancefloor, but at the same time make you want to take out your pipe and relax to - all depending on what track you're on! I saw them live at the 'Beat-Herder' festival this year and they played a really chilled out set, which I really enjoyed. This is one of many festivals they have played in recent times though, and I'm sure, many to come.

The opening track 'Ground Floor' is a mellow yet upbeat track that is a nice easy listen to start the CD. The tempo definately increases over the next few tracks and you have forgotten about that smooth drumbeat that kicks off the album by the time you're on 'Bad Ragsaw Boogie'. The final two tracks show more of that swing influence I was talking about and complete an all-round, well polished off EP.

Overall I think they deserve my five-star review, based on the fact they have tried something completely different and pulled it off, even if it is an acquired taste.

Pioneer CDJ400 MP3 CD USB Player Controller
Pioneer CDJ400 MP3 CD USB Player Controller

5.0 out of 5 stars Brucie Bonus, 26 Nov. 2011
When it comes to DJ equipment, Pioneer is a prestigious household name - and quite rightly so.

Firstly I should start by saying that I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know my way around a CDJ. And whilst they may be the first pair of CDJs I have purchased and owned myself, I think I can give a fair insight as I have used others.

The CDJ-400 is now one of the older CD decks on the market, but for me still one of the safest bets. Its clean design and simple features made is easy for me to get to grips with. As mentioned in previous reviews, the USB feature is a really nice, and revolutionary touch. This is something that 20 years ago vinyl junkies would have simply dreamed of having! They are smaller then their newer, and more flashy CDJ-800s and CDJ-1000s, which makes for a lighter and more mobile unit. The effects and exciting too, which are 'Bubble, Trans and Wah' when used in the vinyl setting, and 'Jet, Roll and Wah'. The jog wheel is fairly small, but very usable. The quality of sound that transfers through to your speakers is of the highest order as well, which is a huge brucie bonus.

I have no reason not to give my trusty CDJs a five-star review. So if you're like me, and will use these decks for recreation and general messing around then the Pioneer CDJ-400 is the winner.