Profile for Mr. E. M. Wray > Reviews

Content by Mr. E. M. Wray

Mr. E. M. Wray

The Message of Ecclesiastes: A Time to Mourn and a Time to Dance (The Bible Speaks Today)
by Derek Kidner

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful exposition, 27 May 2013
Ecclesiastes is the most curious book of the Bible. Some evangelical commentaries interpret it in a rather wooden fashion, treating it as straightforward instruction, whereas Kidner recognises that we are sitting at the feet of a master tutor, who provokes us in a variety of ways - criticism of conventional wisdom, cynicism, wry humour, and so on. Kidner has obviously spent much time in these complexities, and is very helpful for a novice reader such as myself. He is also commendably brief, which, as the author of Ecclesiastes himself tells us, is a "good thing"!

Mike Wray

Wow!: The Visual Encyclopedia of Everything
Wow!: The Visual Encyclopedia of Everything
by Dorling Kindersley

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal present for grandson, 27 May 2013
We got WOW as an 8th year birthday present for our grandson. He took it on holiday with him and loves dipping into it. There are pages of superb illustrations. The text is a bit advanced for him at present, but we reckoned that he would grow into it, rather than out of it, as the years pass. Just the job for primary school projects!

Mike Wray

TeckNet® NEW Kindle 4 Premium Folio Case / Cover With Magnetic Clasp For NEW Amazon Kindle 4 / 6 inch / 2011 generation / Book Style - Includes Kindle Rear Protector - Brown
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, 16 Nov 2011
I was looking for a modestly priced case for my new Kindle that would stand up to intercontinental travel. This fits the bill very well. It is strong and well-made. I consider it good value. Also delivery was rapid, a lot quicker than their estimate had led me to expect.

Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope

4.0 out of 5 stars Grandson happy, 24 Jun 2011
We got this microscope for our grandson's sixth birthday. He was really quite pleased with it. It is of course Chinese plastic, but seems to have been carefully and well designed. The focus is very smooth; the zoom of 20x to 40x is a bit rough and ready, but the choice of magnification is about right for younger children. It works well when placed on top of something or when a "slide" is inserted in the little holder. The built-in LED illumination works well for opaque objects.
The description mentions two "slides". These are two small rectangles of plastic with very slight recessions in them for mounting specimens. I can't see these being very successful. If giving this as a present, it's important to understand that the item itself does not contain anything to look at. I made up my own slides by cutting some pieces of transparent sheet to the right size, finding something to look at (eg. a small dead fly), picking it up with a bit of sellotape and then sticking fly and tape on to the sheet. This was greatly liked!

Mike