Profile for Flick-M > Reviews

Content by Flick-M

Flick-M "Flickm" (Oxford UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16
Death in Spigg's Wood (Elversford Mysteries Book 1)
Death in Spigg's Wood (Elversford Mysteries Book 1)
Price: 2.02

5.0 out of 5 stars such a gripping read, 5 Oct 2012
I'm a readaholic, but at the moment I'm in a space where I'm finding it hard to concentrate on most books, so this had to be good to hold my interest. And it is good. I was compelled to keep reading it, despite the fact that I have other very pressing demands on my attention right now - I just kept sneaking time out to see what happened next. It's crime fiction but the plot is unusual, the characters well drawn and the twists and turns kept me guessing. It's obviously well researched too as the court scenes and the sections involving custody and so on are so plausible. I felt for Meg, one of the main characters. Her situation was out of the ordinary in that she was suspected of breaking the law even though she had been defending herself against violent criminals who were trying to kill her. Her emotional reactions to her predicament made involving reading. The police characters were sympathetically and realistically drawn too, rather than the stereotypes that usually inhabit the pages of crime fiction.

The only factor that jarred very very slightly was Meg's relationship with her children: she seemed to interact with them in an old fashioned manner, reminiscent of the 50s. But this is a minor point, doesn't reflect on the book in general and may just be my personal perspective or a part of Meg's personality anyway.

One of the most enjoyable reads this year and I'm at a loss to understand the minor number of negative reviews it's got.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2012 7:37 PM BST

King Solomon's Ring - New Light on Animal Ways (Illustrated)
King Solomon's Ring - New Light on Animal Ways (Illustrated)
by Konrad Z. Lorenz

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely old book, 29 Sep 2012
I bought this for my partner out of nostalgia, as I'd owned and loved it as a child. It's still a lovely little book. The pen drawings are very dated, but all the more charming for that. The actual text is intriguing and the observations of animal behaviour stand up still today.

You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!
You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!
by Danny Bent
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny in places, 29 Sep 2012
This book about a teacher who goes on a global cycle trip for charity is genuinely funny in places as well as being absorbing, as we follow the writer through one adventure after another as he makes his way from country to country. It's warmly and enthusiastically written and shows how people are the same, whatever their skin colour or the country they live in. Some of Danny's escapades are amusing, some touching and some downright scary but the humour of each situation is never far away.

The only reason this book hasn't got a full five stars from me is that the last chapter wasn't as absorbing as the rest of he book, but don't let that put you off - this is a great read.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
So touching, poignant, frightening. What do you do when you can't remember who you are from one day to the next? When you have to learn your life from photographs and through what someone close to you tells you? And when you forget it all again when you go to sleep? That's the basis for this cleverly conceived and written thriller.

This is one of the only books I've reviewed that I didn't actually buy from Amazon (the friend who lent it to me raved about it) but it was so amazing that I had to write a review.

One of the most compelling and unusual books I've read this year.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and compulsive, 29 Sep 2012
A really unputdownable book that is both gripping and yet sensitively written as well as being, in places, genuinely scary. It was one of the first books I bought for kindle. Well worth downloading and reading.

Love... And Sleepless Nights: A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Sequel
Love... And Sleepless Nights: A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Sequel

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 29 Sep 2012
I was disappointed in this after having read and loved Love From Both Sides. This sequel wasn't as funny and Laura, one of the main characters, seemed to speak and think more like a man than a woman in places. Maybe it's impossible to follow up a book as screamingly funny as Love From Both Sides. Whatever the reason, I was left feeling a bit let down. Still, maybe that's just me, and if it had been a stand alone book I might have enjoyed it more. Sorry Nick Spalding!

Lipstick and Knickers
Lipstick and Knickers
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but not sure of the point, 29 Sep 2012
There's no denying this book is well written but I really struggled with it. There wasn't enough to it and it wasn't really funny. I'm reading Pompomberry House by this author and that is amusing and entertaining, so don't be put off trying more of her books. I just couldn't see the point of this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2012 8:51 PM BST

The Silence (Dc Goodhew 4)
The Silence (Dc Goodhew 4)
Price: 0.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever twists, 27 Sep 2012
Alison Bruce's Gary Goodhew series, set in Cambridge, goes on getting better and better. A blend of good crime novel and brilliantly drawn characters, from the quirky young detective Goodhew to the various people caught up in crime, drama and interpersonal relationships. I've enjoyed all four books in the series, but this is the best - partly because the pace of her writing has picked up since the first book. I thoroughly recommend all four novels.

Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art
Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art
by Art Boericke

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 21 Sep 2012
Like the previous reviewer, I was given this book (in the 70s I think) and have treasured it ever since. It's filled with full colour photos. The houses are beautiful - I would be happy to live in any of them. They are made from scrap materials, including wood and glass, and are amazingly creative and ingenious.

I saw the book on here when i was looking it up for a friend and am so glad it's still available. Reminiscent of the more earthy houses seen on Grand Designs but even more imaginative.

FALLEN IDOLS
FALLEN IDOLS
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent crime series, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: FALLEN IDOLS (Kindle Edition)
A gripping crime series, of which this is the first book. They are unusual stories as they are written from the point of view of a newspaper reporter and his police detective love interest. Thoroughly enjoyable, addictive and expertly constructed.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16