Profile for Steve Emm > Reviews

Content by Steve Emm

Steve Emm "Steve Emm" (UK)

Logitech Wireless Combo MK330 Radio Transfer, PC / Mac, Keyboard
Logitech Wireless Combo MK330 Radio Transfer, PC / Mac, Keyboard
Offered by MoreFrom

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother!, 29 Aug 2013
I bought a wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse EX110 in October 2006. It came with a 5-year guarantee. That wonderful keyboard worked without any problem at all until eventually the letters wore off the keys.

So I went and bought the new version of that keyboard, the K330 keyboard/mouse. Immediately, I realised that my PC was not receiving the signal from the keyboard about 20-25% of the time. This was very frustrating and made the keyboard completely useless. When I looked at reviews online I found that this was a fairly common fault. I emailed Logitech to see if this was a resolvable issue. Their answer was: "I would suggest return the item to the retailer..."

What a waste of my time. It seems to me that Logitech realised that offering quality products with 5-year guarantees is not profitable enough in our current throw-away culture, and instead reduced the quality and guarantees on their products to make a `quick killing'. In a phone call today (in response to another email from them asking for my feedback / experience) I was told that they no longer offer those kinds of guarantees, which tells me an awful lot about the changes they've decided to introduce.

So, for me - don't bother with Logitech. Look around and do your research if you want trustworthy equipment and any kind of customer service.

Brother HL-5240L Mono Laser Printer
Brother HL-5240L Mono Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Bought It Twice!, 30 Dec 2011
This is my second Brother HL-5240. The first one I purchased in June 2007 and it's only recently started to sound `a bit tired'. This was after a life of 4 and a half years working in my small business office (I work as an accountant so it's printed an awful lot of accounts over those years!) Never had any problems with my original machine and rarely had to renew to toner cartridge. I never changed the drum or needed any repairs in all that time. Great!

I bought this machine brand new in December 2011 and within the first dozen pages I got a message telling me that the toner needed changing. The cartridges (original Brother cartridges) cost almost £70 for the 3500-yield version (and considerably more for the `high-yield' version). This meant that I had to immediately spend around 50% again on top of the price of the printer. Naturally - I complained about this and thankfully it was sorted.

The machine itself is a great little workhorse. As far as I can see it's exactly the same construction as my old one and that lasted all that time with a fairly relentless workload. Print quality is as crisp and solid as you choose it to be. You can change the settings and even print using `Toner Save Mode'. I used that setting as default and never had problems with the print quality.

Quality and longevity. I hope my new machine *is* exactly the same as my old one. If so, I won't have another printer problem until 2016! Great!

Great Expectations [DVD]
Great Expectations [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Mills

2.0 out of 5 stars A very UNSPECIAL Special Edition!, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Great Expectations [DVD] (DVD)
This is without a doubt a gorgeous film and would receive a five star review from me for the film alone.

However - you are buying here what ITV DVD call a *Special Edition*. Caveat emptor! I have purchased a few ITV DVD titles recently and all of them have been very disappointing editions. Don't trust ITV DVD. They'll supply a 'no-frills' experience under the banners of 'Special Features', 'Special Edition', etc. The only special features on this DVD are a trailer and a few stills. The back of the DVD promises Biographies and 'Extra written Profiles' but they're not present on my copy. I recently bought the ITV DVD edition of 'Brief Encounter' which also promised (in writing on the cover) a 'Collector's Booklet' which didn't exist!

Other 'Special Editions' usually give you extras galore, with commentaries, out-takes etc and maybe historical essays. Not ITV DVD. Oh no. It's possible that what they mean by 'Special Edition' is that this is 'restored' picture qaulity - but wouldn't you expect good quality pictures as standard in this day and age on DVD?

Buyer beware!

Enjoy the film - but that's about all you're going to get.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2011 10:16 PM BST

Lessons To Be Learned
Lessons To Be Learned
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 18 April 2008
This review is from: Lessons To Be Learned (Audio CD)
Amazing! This deserves to be one of the biggest selling albums of 2008. This CD makes you grin. It blazes like your own personal chunk of sunshine. From the instantly likeable `Sweet About Me' through a whole range of brilliantly produced gotta-be-hits, `Lessons To Be Learned' is almost entirely brilliant.

With lyrics that range from catchy-cute to curiously comical ("There's a caterpillar in my soul"!), performed by that engaging, amazing, unique vocal talent, this collection just makes you keep going back - and you can't help but nudge that volume control higher and higher each time...

Personal favourites after first few hearings - `Don't Want To Go To Bed Now' and `Got No Place To Go'. But this is packed full of gems that might take my `favourite' place the more I listen.

Do yourself a favour - get this album - put Gabriella Cilmi on your i-pod - then lie back all summer with the volume full blast and put a caterpillar in your soul!

PDF Converter Professional 5.0, International English, Retail
PDF Converter Professional 5.0, International English, Retail

2.0 out of 5 stars INVASIVE AND DAMAGING, 6 April 2008
I had to remove this software when, as described by a previous reviewer, Internet Explorer 7 started to act strangely and I also started to lose my ability to browse online.

The program itself works well - you get fast and efficient conversion. The major negative for me, however, is that this software tries to take over your entire computer. My anti-virus warned me at every Startup that this program wanted to launch its own 'Registry Controller'. It also makes itself the default programme for opening PDFs - over-writing Acrobat's rights. You get a new, dedicated Menu Bar in IE which has one single PDF button on it that you can't move to the main Menu Bar.

Lots of niggly draw-backs that forced me to simply remove this software and restore my system to an earlier Backup. I'm now looking on Amazon for a better piece of kit to convert to PDF.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary Audio Collection (Star Trek on compact disc)
Star Trek 25th Anniversary Audio Collection (Star Trek on compact disc)
by Leonard Nimoy
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars TO BOLDLY GO... ON AUDIO!, 6 Feb 2008
This is a great four CD set introduced by William Shatner. Three audio adventures - 'Enterprise: The First Adventure', 'Strangers from the Sky' and 'Final Frontier'. Featuring Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan and George Takei. Digitally remastered for CD sound - the perfect format for these exciting dramas, sound effects and original music.

These take me back to the good old days - Star Trek - the Original Series. It had a certain magic qaulity that I personally don't feel has ever been equalled in the series' later incarnatons or spin-offs.

Re-live those days once more with these audio dramas. Great stuff!