Profile for Sarah Durston > Reviews

Content by Sarah Durston
Top Reviewer Ranking: 792

Sarah Durston (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tomy Counting with Luke the Loop
Tomy Counting with Luke the Loop

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice basic educational toy, 9 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter, who is currently two years old, has really enjoyed playing with this attractive and sturdy little plane. As the child simulates flying the plane and looping-the-loop, the toy counts as well as playing music or encouraging phrases.

All in all, it's a nice toy for imaginative play but also provides an educational element. It's also colourful, sturdy and a good size. Recommended.

Davidt's Promliss Medium Auto Opening Synethetic Jewel Box in Dark Grey
Davidt's Promliss Medium Auto Opening Synethetic Jewel Box in Dark Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with the quality and finish, 6 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really impressed with this compact jewellery box. The sample I was given is a nice, bright red but stops short of looking gaudy. There is a small lock (which doesn't provide a great degree of security, in case this was your motivation for purchasing) but it's fine for day to day use. When the lid opens a small drawer at the bottom comes out seamlessly.
This might be a bit small for someone with an extensive jewellery collection but it's perfect for someone like me who needs it as a 'tidy-away'and to keep things away from toddler hands! It's also divided nicely into sections and I was very impressed with the overall quality and finish.

Moriarty
Moriarty
by Anthony Horowitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Gutted, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Moriarty (Hardcover)
I'll start by saying that I thought the first book in this series, The House of Silk, was so wonderful that I was really excited about Moriarty. I'm a keen Holmes fan and in addition to reading all the originals, I've read a number of Holmes novels which have been written by other people.

Ok. This novel was absolutely awful; it was predictable, choppy, it didn't flow, there was a long explanation about what happened at the Reichenbach Falls that served very little purpose, the characters lacked charisma and authenticity, Holmes was barely mentioned, there was hardly any real Victorian flavour, and I could go on.

I was so thoroughly disappointed, having loved the first book, that I felt like throwing my kindle. Moriarty is supposed to be one of the greatest villains of all time and he dished me up a damp squib. Gutting.

Crayola Beginnings Dough 3 Pot Pack
Crayola Beginnings Dough 3 Pot Pack

1.0 out of 5 stars Tacky and has a stain warning :(, 31 Oct. 2014
We've had a slightly different experience to the other reviewers in that our dough (particularly the green) was horribly sticky and the kids hated it. I wasn't impressed that there's a stain warning either.
We'll be sticking with Play Doh branded from now on.

Fisher-Price Crawl Around Car
Fisher-Price Crawl Around Car
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and longevity, 30 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This static car is by no means cheap but it is an investment as there are a range of activities which are likely to keep a little one entertained for a couple of years or so.

My daughter is at the upper end of the recommended age range for the toy and it's a shame because I think she would have enjoyed as a younger baby. The shape sorter and number of buttons and switches have kept her entertained as has the imaginative element of 'driving'.

Just as a note, if you are using this with a young baby they might need some additional support to help them sit (if they're a bit wobbly) and the car is open at the bottom so it might need to be put on a rug or towel.

Great value though, and plenty of longevity!

Octonauts Gup S Arctic Explorer
Octonauts Gup S Arctic Explorer

4.0 out of 5 stars Much bigger than expected!, 30 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As other reviewers have said, when this toy arrived it was a good deal larger than I expected (as was the box, which is massive!)
The toy is aimed at children aged 3+ and was perfectly suited for my son who is soon to be four. The sound effects are great but I would question the durability because the plastic does look a little flimsy; only time will tell.
All in all, this toy is pretty good value for money but it was a disappointment that it can't be used in water.

Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black
Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but disappointing overall, 27 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing I'll say is that I am not a complete technophobe but the set-up of the system did seen ridiculously complicated and the instructions were not particularly comprehensive.
Now it is functioning, we have had issues with the connectivity and tracks stopping midway and like another reviewer, I am still having issues getting it to work with my kindle.
I was lucky enough to be able to try this item without charge but I am struggling to see this unit as value for money. I'd rather have a decent DAB radio and some wifi speakers. Disappointing.

Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1
Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1
by M. J. Arlidge

3.0 out of 5 stars Start of a series, shaky but with potential, 25 Oct. 2014
Eeny Meeny is the first book to feature DI Helen Grace, and is the first book I've read by this author.

The premise is quite promising; people are kidnapped in pairs, they are left with a gun between them and told that whichever one kills the other will be released. DI Grace and her troubled team investigate.

This novel was quite enjoyable, it's written in very short chapters so lends itself well to being picked up and put down. The only criticisms I have are that it would have been a tighter plot if it had been about fifty pages shorter and the characters lack a bit of depth. I'd read another in the series though, because I think there's definite potential.

Woolly and Tig: Have Fun with Woolly Sticker Book (Woolly & Tig)
Woolly and Tig: Have Fun with Woolly Sticker Book (Woolly & Tig)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable range of activities for pre-schoolers, 21 Oct. 2014
My kids don't watch Woolly and Tig, but I picked this book up as something to do with my daughter whilst we were having tea.
She is nearly three and some of the activities were a little too difficult for her but, colour matching, fitting sticker 'jigsaw pieces' into existing pictures, turning Tig into a clown and drawing faces, all went down very well!
The book is bright and attractive with a good range of activities. Fantastic!

Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibian Snake
Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibian Snake

5.0 out of 5 stars Son and Daughter both love it!, 20 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Both my young children, a girl and a boy, are utterly enamoured with this car (and also the orange lobster one in the series.)

The use of the remote control has been a challenge but their hand/ eye coordination is steadily improving. The amphibious feature is a huge plus, not only because they find it hysterical to drive the car through puddles, but also because it means you don't have to wait for great weather; it can be used through the Winter.

It's also pretty heavy duty and has survived some pretty rough treatment (so far!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20