Profile for John Saltford > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Bone Clocks
The Bone Clocks

2.0 out of 5 stars OK if you like that thing, 9 April 2015
This review is from: The Bone Clocks (Kindle Edition)
I quite like stories with a hint of fantasy. But this had too much towards the end. It was unsubtle and in the end I didn't care to plough through the overlong ending. Perhaps I don't like the genre. Pity, because I really liked Holly for 300 pages.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars good plot disliked some of the details, 3 Mar. 2015
The plot and the characters are well thought out. I found it satisfying the way everything developed. The whole story developed against the bleak background of snowy weather adding to the unlikability of some of the characters. They were nevertheless interesting people about whom you wanted to know more.
The thing that slightly put me off from an enjoyment point of view was the sheer unpleasantness of the works of these literary people. The fact that I wasn't totally put off is a tribute to the overall quality of the plot and the way it was written.

Runaway
Runaway

5.0 out of 5 stars A master of place and time, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Runaway (Kindle Edition)
This is easily up to Peter May's usual standard. Great characters and great sense of place. The plot is good and not unnecessarily complicated. What sets this book apart is the authentic feeling of the 60s. I was a student in London in that area, involved in the music scene. Things did feel on the edge. Just as May has taken me up to the Scottish Islands, so has he taken me back to the London of my youth and reminded me what it was like to come from the provinces. It also confirms what I have always known which is that whatever your body tells you your head tells you that you are much much younger!

Wolfybeds Luxury Wraparound Fleece Dog Bed Size Large
Wolfybeds Luxury Wraparound Fleece Dog Bed Size Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Dogs really like them. They don't form obstacles in the bedroom ..., 19 Nov. 2014
We now have two of these. Dogs really like them. They don't form obstacles in the bedroom and you don't hurt your feet when you stumble on them in the middle of the night! Being floppy they pack easily into the car when going on holiday.

Acme 211.5 Dog Whistle - Red with lanyard
Acme 211.5 Dog Whistle - Red with lanyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with great lanyard, 10 April 2014
Now it is up to the dog to start listening!! He looks up, says, 'Ah there you are, but I'm busy!!'
Still a lot of training to do.

Life After Life
Life After Life

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoughtful page turner, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Well written as usual. This book reminds us that are lives are not preordained but the result of random events. If the lights hadn't failed I would have caught the train which ..............

Nishikoi Flake Pond Fish Food - 1320g
Nishikoi Flake Pond Fish Food - 1320g
Offered by WUNDAPETS

5.0 out of 5 stars The fish loved this food, 11 Feb. 2014
We love this food. We rush up to the surface and gobble it up before it sinks. It stays on the surface for some time and then sinks so that the shy ones get a feed too. Please buy more!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels solid and closes well, 11 Feb. 2014
A little more expensive than some, but you get real leather so it feels better. Very strong clip keeps this excellent product closed until you need it.

Membrane - Ultra Slim Navy Blue Vertical Case for Apple iPhone 5C (iPhone Mini 2013 Model) - Flip Phone Cover + 2 Screen Protectors

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak clip at the top, 11 Feb. 2014
I carry my phone in my trouser pocket. The magnetic clip that keeps this phone closed and protects the screen is too weak. I think it is because it is just at the top (in order to keep it slim) and doesn't wrap round. This means that it is vulnerable to the sort of sideways forces you find in a pocket and it opens up. It would be probably OK in a tightly packed handbag. The colour in the picture is accurate - I wouldn't call it Navy Blue!

Sunshine on Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street Book 8)
Sunshine on Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Had gone off these stories but am back, 22 Jan. 2014
The comfort of the series is that they are all similar. I read a lot too close together and got a little bored. But after a year or so I am back and love the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3