Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew

Andrew (London, United Kingdom)

Tales from a Mountain Cave: Stories from Japan's Northeast
Tales from a Mountain Cave: Stories from Japan's Northeast
by Hisashi Inoue
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 11 Dec 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this short novel, which introduced me to a whole new region of Japan and its fascinating traditions. The translation is wonderful too and really brings the story to life.

Philips HR2000/50 Silver Blender with 1.5 Litre Jar - 400 Watt
Philips HR2000/50 Silver Blender with 1.5 Litre Jar - 400 Watt
Offered by Electrifyingdeals
Price: 35.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 22 April 2012
I used this about ten times and on five times the seal at the bottom came loose and when I picked up the jug half my soup fell out all over the machine and work surface. Threw it away in disgust, after cutting off the plug - the only useful part of this machine.

Arabian Sands (Travel Library)
Arabian Sands (Travel Library)
by Wilfred Thesiger

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 1 Mar 2011
I very much enjoyed Thesiger's straightforward account of his journeys across the Empty Quarter and his keen observations of the desert and the daily lives of the Bedouin. It is the myriad little details which are fascinating - such as what his Bedu guides could learn from a camel track, or the way women and children would never be harmed by a raiding party. I did struggle with the barrage of place names, tribes and tribal allegiances, but overall this book gives a not-to-be-missed insight into the harsh desert life of not that long ago.

Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader
Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader
by Daniel L. Newman
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 5 Feb 2011
There aren't many parallel text Arabic-English books around, so if you are a serious student of Arabic this is probably a must buy.

However, it could be a lot better. For a start, I didn't like the stories very much. I found them all very dark and disturbing. A book with much nicer stories (but not in parallel text) is (...)

Secondly, I found the translations, although they gave the meaning very well, too far removed from the Arabic to help me learn the language. Neither were the translations in particularly eloquent English.

Lastly, there are no vowels in the Arabic, except in the notes. It would be much more useful for students if the unguessable vowels [e.g on from I verbs] were written in.

So, recommended, but expect to do a lot of dictionary work to get the most out of this book.

Moby Dick: Or, the Whale (Penguin Popular Classics)
Moby Dick: Or, the Whale (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Herman Melville

5.0 out of 5 stars A flawed masterpiece?, 28 Jan 2011
Have just finished this book and throroughly enjoyed it, except for a section just after boarding the Pequod which seemed too waffly/mad and I nearly gave up at. Keep going and you'll be rewarded with one of the most memorable novels ever, full of vivid descriptions of the sea and fascinating insights into the whaling life and lots of broody stuff about the human condition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2011 4:30 PM GMT

The Story of an African Farm (English Library)
The Story of an African Farm (English Library)
by Olive Schreiner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 Oct 2010
I enjoyed this book immensely. The descriptions really evoke a very different time and place and gives lots of things to ponder on. It's pretty grim though, I guess reflecting the realities of the life of Boer farmers.

Crome Yellow
Crome Yellow
by Aldous Huxley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Crome Yellow (Paperback)
I enjoyed this novel from beginning to end. It's superbly written and has many interesting ideas and lots of lovely descriptions. I got to like the characters too.

Anna of the Five Towns (Penguin Modern Classics)
Anna of the Five Towns (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Arnold Bennett
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 31 Aug 2010
I don't know how people can give this just 3 stars - it is a classic, rivalling Dickens at his best. The descriptions of people and places are masterful.

I only wish it were a little longer.

How to Teach English: An Introduction to the Practice of English Language Teaching (1st Edition) (How To Series)
by Mr Jeremy Harmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, 27 Feb 2010
I bought this book when I started teaching six years ago because it was on my CELTA course reading list. Unfortunately it has never been of any use to me in the classroom. It always seems to be either stating the blindingly obvious such as why it is important to teach reading, writing etc., or focussing on entirely the wrong things, e.g. the tenses or the quality of the tape recorder you use. My abiding memory of the book, though, is the system it has hit upon to suck all the enjoyment out of teaching: The "Engage - Study - Activate" sequence, which runs throughout the book; First you need to Engage the students, then they Study, then you Activate this knowledge and then perhaps they Study again so you have sequences like ESAS. Deathly! If you're looking for practical teaching tips written concisely, get "Practical Techniques", a real gem.

The Marx Brothers: A Night At The Opera [VHS]
The Marx Brothers: A Night At The Opera [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock
Price: 14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Night Of Pure Pleasure!, 5 Jan 2002
My brothers and I were introduced to the Marx Brothers as children and, although we're now in our 30s and 40s, our interest has never waivered. Even though the pictures were made in the 1930s, the wit is timeless. A Night at the Opera is a masterpiece; the scene in the ship's cabin is a classic. Why don't they make films like that anymore?