Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Ludlow, UK)

Wrongful Death
Wrongful Death
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars consistently good, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Wrongful Death (Kindle Edition)
As usual a ripping good read. I like the continuity in the characters and the fact that this story can also be read in isolation from the other books. I found this story was full of twists and unexpected turns of events and cannot see how anyone thinks this book is boring

Salvation In Death: 27 (in Death Series)
Salvation In Death: 27 (in Death Series)
by J. D. Robb

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused in Death!, 3 Sep 2012
I found I couldn't finish this book. I Know that this is no 27 in the series, so the're popular, but I don't think i'll ever buy any more. First off, there is nothing in the product info on the cover or at the beggining of chapter 1 to let the reader know that the story is set in the future. To a first time reader of the 'in death' series what could be a current day novel is suddenly thrown into confusion, when Eve finds the medal dated 2031 I immediately looked back to the beginning to find what I'd missed, nothing as it turns out! What is a link I asked myself as this wasn't explained, I found out using a review for book 1. What is a PPC, What is a 'hink'? Last dissapointment is the terminology used eg 'Bitch slap' , too much of what appears to be street talk.

Around the World
Around the World
Price: 13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: Around the World (Audio CD)
I bought this album not realising it was all tracks recorded live, had I known this I might have had second thoughts. However, I have to say that it is a wonderful album and the live recording does not in anyway impair enjoyment, if anything it emphasises what a fantastic voice Raul has and makes me want to see him live.

All the Colours of Darkness: The 18th DCI Banks Mystery (Inspector Banks Mystery)
by Peter Robinson
Price: 6.39

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing first read of a Banks novel, 14 May 2009
I am a first time reader of a Robinson Banks detective novel and whilst I had to finish reading it, I felt it would have been far more satisfactory if it had ended with the confession made to Banks in his cottage rather than as it did which just was not credible and in my opinion too abrupt. I was lost in places as references to previous relationships were not explained, reference to the death of Banks's brother added nothing to the storyline and so this is not a book that can be read in isolation.I found the constant references to music irksome. Other reviewers have said this is not the best effort by Robinson but I am not tempted to try and find the best. The book I read prior to this was by another writer I had not read before. Again, not the first in the series for the main character but what a difference in quality regarding the correct balance of past character history. This book can be read as a one off but after reading The Pure in Heart by Susan Hill, you will not be disappointed and will be left wanting more.

Book Of The Dead (Scarpetta Novels)
Book Of The Dead (Scarpetta Novels)
by Patricia Cornwell
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars End of a series?, 29 Jun 2008
I am new to Patricia Cornwell and must say that the first Scarpetta novel I read had me gripped from beginning to end - in that one, Lucy was only a child. Book of the Dead is way down the line in terms of character development and clearly I need to read some of the intermediate stories to catch up, which is disappointing in a way because whilst linkage is necessary books should also be readable in isolation which is not possible with Book of the Dead as the reader is always left wondering about the untold details that are alluded to, such as Scarpetta's relationship with Benton. What is great about this novel is the level of detail into forensic matters. What is not so good is how the pace doesn't really pick up until the very end that the explanation is not convincing.

I will read the other Scarpetta novels but think that Ms Cornwell needs to consider whether the Scarpetta series needs to end with one final case that has depth, ties up ends and leaves the reader satiated.

Rush Home Road
Rush Home Road
by Lori Lansens

5.0 out of 5 stars A real surprise., 19 July 2007
This review is from: Rush Home Road (Paperback)
I bought this book thinking it would be Ok but I did not expect it to be as brilliant as it was. This is the story about an old lady who agrees to look after a young girl for the summer and reflects back on her own childhood and life as she slowly grows more attached to the girl. Her own story is a sad one. She is not bad but after being raped by her father's friend she falls pregnant; her brother thinks he knows who is to blame but ends up dying trying to sort it out. Throughout the book Addy talks to Lil Liam he is the only one who knows the truth about all that befalls her and tells her what she knows but won't admit to. You know what is going to happen to Addy in the end but you would never expect it to be written so well. This book will bring tears to your eyes way before the end but you will finish reading and think wow, what a story. This book must be made into a film!

The Smile of a Ghost (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
The Smile of a Ghost (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
by Phil Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars A balance in appreciation, 6 July 2007
Interesting reviews so far with a wide range of thought. I Live 2 miles from Ludlow and for me, this book threw things both familiar and unknown into the spotlight and I owe Phil a thanks for that because I think it is no mean achievement to tell people something they don't necessarily appreciate about where they live. As usual Phil has brought more than the storyline to the reader, he has captured Ludlow excellently.

The book itself is the latest in a series but for the uninitiated can be read in isolation - but you will want to read more of the series, and will want to know the meaning behind some of the character references. The story is credible, particularly for those who know Ludlow or a town like it that embraces its history. Whilst you may feel the need to research some of the references - for example to the Guild - you will find it is all correct.

For me, the level of supernatural encounters or not, (as part of what Merrily does best is separate fact from probably impossible) makes the storyline(s)believable. I would not continue to read a series where every story included some fantastic encounter - it would not be real and Merrily would die of exhaustion- although she sounds to be well on the way as things stand anyway. In this story one of Merrily's Police contacts retires and is central to the storyline as the boy involved is (sorry, was) his nephew. Phil has shown true craftsmanship in portraying the reactions of the family both to the death of the boy, and the major lifechange after retirement. Any book group could get a lot out of this book- read it and tell me I am wrong!

Prestige A La Carte Electric Non-stick Stirfry Wok
Prestige A La Carte Electric Non-stick Stirfry Wok

5.0 out of 5 stars WOK A BARGAIN!, 13 Jun 2007
I have had a prestige wok for many months now and cannot praise it highly enough. Fast to heat up and extremely easy to clean for the price I really do not think it can be beaten -and it looks good too!

The Remains of an Altar (Merrily Watkins Mystery)
The Remains of an Altar (Merrily Watkins Mystery)
by Phil Rickman
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars In appreciation, 4 Jan 2007
The Remains of an Altar is another five star story from Phil Rickman. Once again Phil has produced a very credible and gripping story which draws the reader into the life of our favourite female vicar, Merrily Watkins. Merrily is drawn in to a situation where it seems everyone has their own agendas and are using stories about appearances of a spirit, 'The Cyclist', as the characters call Elgar, for their own purposes and leaving Merrily to separate the truth from the fiction. Nontheless, with a little help from Lol, the tale draws to a gripping close. DO NOT BE PUT OFF by the review from THE OLD MALVERNIAN because this book is certainly not boring. As with previous books in the Merrily series, this book can be read without knowledge of the earlier stories but I guarantee readers new to Phil Rickman will not be able to resist reading the whole series.